Tre White to PUP list, out first 4 games

YoloinOhio

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Well written Marck.  I’m glad to see you’re not doing this like some posters.

Friendly advice to a newer poster,  don’t be chicken little.  You’re demonstrating you’re not, and that’s cool.  Some guys think the sky is falling because we didn’t grab Haden.  What we don’t know is we may do that the day after the first day of the season as we don’t have to guarantee his salary for the year, and see how long we need him.

This is not the final 53.  We won’t know that until the Rams, and then will minorly tweak again in the days after the Rams game.  We took two CBs in the draft, have the best safety tandem in the league, one of if not the absolute best NCB in Taron, and Dane played from Thanksgiving through the playoffs.

We’ll see if our 2st RD draft pick will be up to the test.  Historically, we’ve played more zone than man, but with Elam’s skill set, we may start out as more of a man team for the first 5 weeks.

Besides the chicken littles and I’m not pointing out names, aren’t thinking about the significant upgrades we made in the D Line, that makes a secondary easier to play.  Von will demand double coverage, so Oliver and J Phillips will be singled and allow more inside penetration.

Im not worried at all and why as it doesn’t help.  After the Rams, our next opposing passing competition doesn’t start until the Chiefs in week 6.  The Ravens had the 32nd passing attack last year, and I have to be sworn Tua can hit deep when 1st string defenses come at him.  Him throwing a couple to Hill in a preseason against backups means nothing.

I have never thought there is a vet out there at corner that makes sense this offseason. What is the benefit of 4 games of someone like Joe Haden? That is just robbing you of the chance of getting Elam (and Benford) on the field and exposing them to some real football. What are you gonna do? Wrap them in cotton wool? Let's get them on the field, let them take some lumps and hopefully they are then ready to help us down the stretch and in the post-season.

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never thought there is a vet out there at corner that makes sense this offseason. What is the benefit of 4 games of someone like Joe Haden? That is just robbing you of the chance of getting Elam (and Benford) on the field and exposing them to some real football. What are you gonna do? Wrap them in cotton wool? Let's get them on the field, let them take some lumps and hopefully they are then ready to help us down the stretch and in the post-season.

Well said as always GB.  I only pointed that out for the nervy posters, and although possible, I don’t think they pull the trigger on Haden.  My guess is the earliest we see Tre is the Chiefs.  With that said, they may play it safe and keep him practicing only until the Packers.

I do see the inside penetrating more, and as a result, the mobile QB’s will have to roll out more than they like.  Lamar is not a good passer and after 5 years he is what he is as a player.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Well said as always GB.  I only pointed that out for the nervy posters, and although possible, I don’t think they pull the trigger on Haden.  My guess is the earliest we see Tre is the Chiefs.  With that said, they may play it safe and keep him practicing only until the Packers.

I do see the inside penetrating more, and as a result, the mobile QB’s will have to roll out more than they like.  Lamar is not a good passer and after 5 years he is what he is as a player.

If they had brought Haden in pre-draft and then given themselves more leeway to do other things in the draft that is different. But you don't redshirt a 1st round corner behind a guy like Joe Haden. Nobody does that. Sure, Tre's injury means that Elam is going to have to start v the Superbowl champs week 1 which is probably not the ideal situation but this is the National Football League. Time to put on your big boy pants and go out there and compete. He might take some lumps early. That would be normal. But hiding him does nobody any good. 

• Like (+1) 1

So, of the four games he’ll miss, I think we’ll only really miss him in two of them — at LA and at Miami.  Those teams have the WR corps to do damage.  Tennessee and Baltimore aren’t scaring anyone with their passing games.

As others have noted, this staff’s ability to coach up DBs, combined with what we all expect will be an enhanced DL, relieves my anxiety considerably.  I’m glad they are being patient with Tre and making sure he is 100% before returning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

For those listening to Sal’s stint on WGR right now, that was me that was the caller, and made these points that I wrote.  FWIW the guys agreed with my points.  Sal did say Settle hasn’t been practicing, but he expects when fully healthy will be a force for the Bills.

I also like Sal’s point there may be an expectation we play more press man coverage this year which opponents don’t have a lot of tape, so should be fun.  Elam will be much more effective early getting to play man, as that is what he did at UF.  I watched him for his years at UF as all their games air in Tampa.  Elam was very effective on man.  Granted it’s college, but it is the SEC.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Horror No GIF by Aardman Animations

Expected, but disappointing. Young cats will have to step up. If it’s one thing I don’t worry about with this team, it’s McD, Frazier, and Butler’s ability to coach up the DBs. I’d rather have Tre for the stretch run than game 1 (even with the tough start to the season). 

The same coaching staff that put us in Prevent Defense with 13 seconds left giving Cheetah & Zeus 20 yards to play with… I’m not losing confidence in this staff but I don’t have complete faith in them to not worry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

The same coaching staff that put us in Prevent Defense with 13 seconds left giving Cheetah & Zeus 20 yards to play with… I’m not losing confidence in this staff but I don’t have complete faith in them to not worry. 

Fair to criticize that moment. Who among us hasn’t? The distinction between my point and yours (to me) is the mistakes made at the end of that game (against one of the best offenses and QBs in the league no less) are not a reflection of their overall ability to coach up the DBs. They wouldn’t have been in that game if they couldn’t get the best out of the rest of the guys on the roster at the position after Tre went down. They were 13 seconds away from making the AFCCG with a 4th round, 7th round, and UDFA at corner. On the #1 ranked defense. No question they made mistakes to end that game, but overall pretty remarkable what they were able to do to coach those guys up and not go in the tank when Tre went down. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I haven't paid much attention to Haden but from what I've been hearing, he's been pretty bad the last year or so?

I wouldn’t say bad exactly but has had some injuries with Steelers. Going off of the public recruiting of him over the summer being done by Von and Diggs, he or another vet could be signed after week 1 as a possibility. 

6 hours ago, eball said:

So, of the four games he’ll miss, I think we’ll only really miss him in two of them — at LA and at Miami.  Those teams have the WR corps to do damage.  Tennessee and Baltimore aren’t scaring anyone with their passing games.

As others have noted, this staff’s ability to coach up DBs, combined with what we all expect will be an enhanced DL, relieves my anxiety considerably.  I’m glad they are being patient with Tre and making sure he is 100% before returning.

This is why I see this team getting off a to a slow start this year.

Facing an offense like the Rams and defending champs in the opening game with the likes of Dane Jackson and 2 rookies is a recipe for disaster.

Also hate the idea of playing a hungry Dolphins team with Tyreek Hill who has torched this team even with White healthly and in the lineup.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Facing an offense like the Rams and defending champs in the opening game with the likes of Dane Jackson and 2 rookies is a recipe for disaster.

Also hate the idea of playing a hungry Dolphins team with Tyreek Hill who has torched this team even with White healthly and in the lineup.

the phins are no worry.  they actually had a caller on sirius nfl yesterday who was trying to get the hosts to go along with the idea of miami winning the east.  they just laughed him off.  The point was even made that miami needs to win a single game against buffalo first, and then they can talk.  there's been total domination of miami by josh, and phin fans are delusional.  Just to add to the level of delusion, Kirwan asked the caller if he was the same guy who said he would take tua over josh.  the called doubled down and said yes...again.   The miami staff and media have their fans completely fooled that this year may be different.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

What if I told you Elam and Benford are better than what we had last year 

23 minutes ago, Forlorn hope said:

What if I told you Elam and Benford are better than what we had last year 

I'd say your full of crap because no one honestly knows.

The very well might be down the road but asking 2 pure rookies (regardless of draft status) to play at an effective level from day one against an offense like the Rams is foolish and shortsighted thinking by this team.

Beane loves to think he's the smartest guy in the room and the fans that grovel over him feed narrative, but he's already proven to be dead wrong so many times and not signing a veteran QB on a team with SB aspirations shows his lack of foresight.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'd say your full of crap because no one honestly knows.

The very well might be down the road but asking 2 pure rookies (regardless of draft status) to play at an effective level from day one against an offense like the Rams is foolish and shortsighted thinking by this team.

Beane loves to think he's the smartest guy in the room and the fans that grovel over him feed narrative, but he's already proven to be dead wrong so many times and not signing a veteran QB on a team with SB aspirations shows his lack of foresight.

I trust McDermott and Beane. If they were concerned they would of signed a vet cb. They haven't. 

I watched them with my eyes, both are huge upgrades( especially athletically) over what we had last year. Especially in man

Edited by Forlorn hope

29 minutes ago, teef said:

the phins are no worry.  they actually had a caller on sirius nfl yesterday who was trying to get the hosts to go along with the idea of miami winning the east.  they just laughed him off.  The point was even made that miami needs to win a single game against buffalo first, and then they can talk.  there's been total domination of miami by josh, and phin fans are delusional.  Just to add to the level of delusion, Kirwan asked the caller if he was the same guy who said he would take tua over josh.  the called doubled down and said yes...again.   The miami staff and media have their fans completely fooled that this year may be different.

I agree that that until the Fish actually beat this team there's nothing to worry about, but my concern is that they will finally do that in week 3 and get over the hump.

And it's the confidence booster that could go a long way looking at how their schedule lines up down the road with a lot of winnable games similar to the Bills after a brutal start.

21 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Drafting a first round CB was to fill the hole next to White

No, that’s not the case. Dane Jackson proved he could fill that hole last year when White was out. If Dane Jackson could preform with Levi Wallace opposite of him, clearly he can with White opposite of him. 

Drafting a cb in the first was absolutely done with the idea White may be out for some time, and trying to pair top end talent to work with Dane during White’s absence. Getting Benford and him looking good is an added bonus. 

41 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

"Maybe" the young outside corners struggle, but I refuse to worry about starting a RD1 rookie and Dane Jackson when the rest of the Defense is as follows:

Von Miller - Ed Oliver - Daquan Jones - Greg Rousseau

AJ Epenesa - Tim Settle - Jordan Phillips - Boogie Basham - Shaq Lawson

Tremaine Edmunds - Matt Milano - Taron Johnson

Jordan Poyer - Micah Hyde

Figure. It. Out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

No I don't understand that, he wasn't let go he was signed by the Steelers as a free agent. He wasn't the only defensive back to have a terrible game, both our all pro safeties got lit up also. I prefer a guy who has been there and done that, having 2 rookies trying to learn the ropes in a SB window is just irresponsible. Again if both the rookies play like all pro's then they dodged a bullet but if they don't we may be scrambling to find some help. I don't hate the Bills or the coaching staff and I'm not saying we'll lose every game because of it but it seems we've neglected to add veterans back there for some odd reason.

Only 1 rookie is starting, the other spot is Dane’s. It’s not the same, but McDermott drafted White at 27 and he started as a rookie.

Knowing we would most likely need a body to play opposite of Dane while White recovers, the FO took another 1st round CB with similar intentions as the year White was drafted. I don’t think that’s a bad plan at all. I also thought a vet would be brought in, but, I also trust this front office, especially with DB’s. 

I personally believe if the Bills weren’t happy with what they were seeing in training camp/preseason, they would bring in a vet. I think Benford stepping up was nice pleasant surprise and it will be interesting to see who can lock down the spot opposite Dane, until White gets back. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.