Jimmy G takes pay cut, staying with Niners

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I guess you missed the no trade part of the contract. 

No i didn't.  He can still be traded if he agrees to the trade.  There are teams he might want to go to and this contract makes him a more attractive trade target.

• Like (+1) 1

good deal for Garoppolo. Now will be unrestricted FA QB next year w no tag possible per agreement and as soon as season ends. Taking advantage of team's interest before the draft of new QB's. This gives him more options than right now as QB's are pretty set around league.

With more than plausible chance Trey Lance struggles and Garoppolo comes in for short sample size. If it happens, he gets incentives if he gets hot and his FA value jumps more too.

His agent did good.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Too realistic.  An agent would not want to make that deal since he would take a cut in commission.  Is Jimmy his own agent?

The agent was already paid for the first contract. Any agent repping JG now starts fresh.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

In fairness, doesn't the no trade clause mean that Garoppolo has to agree to a trade, rather than there won't be a trade at all?

I'll side with Schefter's conclusion: The contract contains no-trade and no-tag clauses, assuring Garoppolo will remain in SF this season and have the freedom to leave in 2023.

27 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Falcons, Jets, and maybe Miami, wk3+, Giants wk2+ as well. That’s the only explanation, that he likes the backup job. Billy Volek is the only other QB I can recall who favored being a backup over starter opportunities. 

Our beloved Frank Reich before him had a pretty good gig. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Lance may wash out and jimmy may be starting again by game 6

I had a similar thought, dunno when it could happen but if Jimmy's hanging around he might be thinking he's gonna wind up the starter again sometime down the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would love to know more about the behind the scenes here.  

I wonder if the Browns wanted him and either Jimmy didn’t want to go or the 49ers refused to bail them out.  

I wonder if the Seahawks wanted him but the 49ers wouldn’t trade him within the division.  

Ultimately, I would think this was Jimmy’s first choice. Stay healthy for the year and hit the market when quite a few teams are looking. 

2023 teams potentially looking for a QB:

Seahawks

Lions

Jets

Dolphins

Ravens

Bears

Saints

Bucs

Panthers

Commanders

Giants

Gonna be a crazy off-season 

I still think Jimmy G is the SF insurance policy for if Lance struggles. I think they, the 49ers and JG, know it. They have a SB caliber roster, especially on defense. I don't think Shanahan or Lynch throw that away on a rookie's growing pains (basically what he is), if it does happen. Maybe Lance looks good, but better to be safe than sorry. 

Edited by H2o

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Well this has possible down the road QB controversy written all over it.

It sure does.  Lance is very clearly a work in progress, and there are going to be days where he will look like the biggest contributor to a loss.  Fans are going to get upset.   

When you decide to go with your high draft-pick, instead of a guy who looks like a quality starter, you've got to get rid of the other guy.  These guys aren't Favre and Rodgers, but when it was time to go with Rodgers, it was time to get Favre out of town.  

When the Bills decided to go with Manuel, Fitzpatrick left town.  

Jimmy G is an interesting problem.   He's about as good as a QB can be without being a certifiable franchise QB.  He and Cousins.  Difficult to trade.  

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It sure does.  Lance is very clearly a work in progress, and there are going to be days where he will look like the biggest contributor to a loss.  Fans are going to get upset.   

When you decide to go with your high draft-pick, instead of a guy who looks like a quality starter, you've got to get rid of the other guy.  These guys aren't Favre and Rodgers, but when it was time to go with Rodgers, it was time to get Favre out of town.  

When the Bills decided to go with Manuel, Fitzpatrick left town.  

Jimmy G is an interesting problem.   He's about as good as a QB can be without being a certifiable franchise QB.  He and Cousins.  Difficult to trade.  

Favre retired (first time) after a great season in 2007.  They didn't get rid of him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.