Internet Rumors of Zack Moss trade availability from an unverified Twitter account

Draconator

31 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A really doubt that a 5th rounder for Moss would be attractive to McBeane.

If Moss isn’t in the plans for much, outside inactive back on the 53, why not get back a pick?  Especially if he likes Duke or Blackshear in that role. 

A RB’s rookie deal is a huge piece of their value.  Moss was a 3rd, but only has two years left on that rookie deal.  A 4th or 5th as depreciation is probably fair.  

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

went from we have no talent and need as many draft picks as we can get, to now Allen’s contract is too big we need as many picks as we can get. 
Then week 5 when there’s an injury or god forbid two injuries in the same game and they only have Gilliam and Taiwan… EXPLOSION 

I actually really like Duke Johnson as RB3.   I’d be fine if he had to fill in for either Singletary or Cook for a few games. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5

I think Moss is gonna be good, whether it's in Buffalo or not remains to be seen.  I am hoping they can find a roster spot for him. If not, I think he will be on another roster.

He breaks tackles, catches passes, good pass blocker, on a rookie contract and finally healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I actually really like Duke Johnson as RB3.   I’d be fine if he had to fill in for either Singletary or Cook for a few games. 

I wanted him 3-4 years ago when he left Cleveland.  He’s kinda fizzled out everywhere he’s gone though and never wins a job. Hes one of those checkdown running backs imo.. Those backs that play on bad teams and the quarterback just targets them non stop in the pass game and their stats get kinda inflated. Like that Theo Riddick guy from Detroit years ago. Maybe even like mckissic.  I wouldn’t keep Duke around over anyone but I’m not always right either. 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Moss is the only pure power back on the roster 

I don’t wanna waste singletary on unnecessary goal line touches unless moss can’t perform 

This is why I think he wont be traded. That skill set isn’t found elsewhere in the RB room

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I think Moss is gonna be good, whether it's in Buffalo or not remains to be seen.  I am hoping they can find a roster spot for him. If not, I think he will be on another roster.

He breaks tackles, catches passes, good pass blocker, on a rookie contract and finally healthy.

It’s hard to gauge his talent. Some backs need 15+ touches to get in a rhythm and wear defenses down. That’s definitely not Buffalos style. You gotta get your stats in under 10 rushes most games. 
Same for singletary, on a small scale he’s one of the best backs in the league statistically. An extra 75 carries at his average puts him in the top 5 I think last year for rushing. Can he handle more and stay effective I guess is the only question. But if Buffalo plans on staying in the bottom 10 for rush attempts you’re just looking for a hot hand each game (take away Allen’s rush attempts last season and buffalo was dead last I believe behind the jets) 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Amazing the resources they’ve used on running backs… 

I prefer doing it that way and not paying 2nd contracts to RBs. Obviously have Josh Allen and a solid roster allows for using 2nd and 3rd day picks 

I think it’s smart team building IMHO

3 hours ago, 716er said:

Singletary has shown in actual regular season games he is the better goal line back that Moss is. I really don’t want to see them trotting out Moss this year in those situations.

With that said, though, I don’t think Moss is a bad player. It’s just that Devin is simply better in all facets of the game. Hopefully Moss improves this year (and Cook plays well). It would be nice to not have to worry about a Singletary contract in the off season and roll with Moss and Cook next year. 

While we have Devin, though, ride that horse to the promise land and let him get paid by someone else this off-season.

Love your post except for the bolded point. Moss is MUCH better in the passing game (especially as a receiver but as a blocker, too). I've actually never seen or heard someone suggest Singletary is even "good" at that facet of the game. LOVE where Devin's at as a ball carrier; he might even be underrated there. But Moss is actually a decent complimentary committee member for the superior skill sets of Singletary and Cook. And he's under contract for another season once #26 is gone (as you rightly recognize).

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I also wonder if maybe Devin Singletary is a trade candidate.

Yes - he's #1 on the depth chart currently, but this is also his contract year, vs having 2 years left on Moss's contract

I get it - Singletary is the better player, but if we're trading or releasing a RB, does remaining contract length also weigh into the decision?

not a bad question.  usually it likely does if the RBs are close.  But Singletary is the only one on the roster who has flashed, and you keep that in a SB contender year. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

ahh, fans..

We have depth.. like enough to get through an injury with a pretty decent replacement.. 

Bills fans:  a 6th round pick though.. 

Yes… and in a year when they are all in on the SB…

”But if we trade him we might get a conditional sixth for next season”…

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Two 3rds and a 2nd on RBs is not smart team building… it’s a dime a dozen position.

Do they ever do anything right?

In regards to “team building “..Have they put together a good team or not?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Two 3rds and a 2nd on RBs is not smart team building… it’s a dime a dozen position.

Who would you consider the top three RBs in the NFL?  In what round were these guys drafted?

Who would you consider the top 3-5 teams in the NFL.  In what round were their RBs drafted?

I can think of one RB on one top team that you might be able to cite in those parameters but it is a bit of a stretch for both the player and the team.  Good luck.

I thought trading Moss might be doing him a favor.  He probably won't get more than 5-6 touches a game, and he seems to be at his peak right now.  If he got to a team that needed him, he might do quite well.  Here, he's probably wasted.

However, if he stays healthy and next year we move on from Singletary....well, that's a good thing.  

21 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Who would you consider the top three RBs in the NFL?  In what round were these guys drafted?

Who would you consider the top 3-5 teams in the NFL.  In what round were their RBs drafted?

I can think of one RB on one top team that you might be able to cite in those parameters but it is a bit of a stretch for both the player and the team.  Good luck.

The Chiefs have spent on the RB position, sort of. And while they've been elite for a few years now, it really has NOTHING to do with those high-value RBs (Edwards-Helaire in the 1st and signing Ronald Jones, a former 2nd but for peanuts, who seems to be behind the 7th round rookie Pacheco). 

I guess one easy criticism is that one of the last three years that RB draft pick could have been spent on another OL. Gotta start redirecting assets to that group (who then makes RBs more effective). Obviously Ford not panning out here hurts. Trading away Teller remains a major ouchy. Hence, we seem to be missing at least ONE promising IOL in the pipeline. Backup G/C is lacking. Backup RB is NOT. Wouldn't we all rather invert those two groups?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Moss is the only pure power back on the roster 

I know this is the common view of him, and certainly it was his reputation during his draft year (I loved his college tape), but I sure think Singletary runs with more power. The notable exception was the Pittsburgh game like two years ago to run out the clock in the 4th.

I hope all the folks who are high on him (more than I expected) are right and he's been bogged down by injury. 

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I know this is the common view of him, and certainly it was his reputation during his draft year (I loved his college tape), but I sure think Singletary runs with more power. The notable exception was the Pittsburgh game like two years ago to run out the clock in the 4th.

I hope all the folks who are high on him (more than I expected) are right and he's been bogged down by injury. 

This is the nfl in 2022 

Unless your Derek Henry , you don’t want your lead runner taking the bulk of dangerous goal line Carries 

You want a back to take the majority of reps between the 20s… A pass catching back … and a sure blocking short yardage back 

we have all 3 in singletary , Cook and moss

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Except if you would spent a late 1 or early 2nd with a trade back you could have gotten 1 really good back that could do the job that 3 of our jack of one trade, master of none RBs can do. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

This is the nfl in 2022 

Unless your Derek Henry , you don’t want your lead runner taking the bulk of dangerous goal line Carries 

You want a back to take the majority of reps between the 20s… A pass catching back … and a sure blocking short yardage back 

we have all 3 in singletary , Cook and moss

Unfortunately you might as well just hand the defense your play call sheets because of this. Every team we play has at least an idea of what type of play we’re going to be calling based on personnel.

One of the reasons I’ve always argued for a back that has the ability to do it all. You generally won’t be getting that in the 3rd or 4th rd. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Unfortunately you might as well just hand the defense your play call sheets because of this. Every team we play has at least an idea of what type of play we’re going to be calling based on personnel.

One of the reasons I’ve always argued for a back that has the ability to do it all. You generally won’t be getting that in the 3rd or 4th rd. 

I mean zack moss can block and catch and run pretty well

singletary is a good runner , who is decent as a receiver and getting better every year as a blocker 

and we will find out about cook

That doesn’t mean you only run singletary between the 20s , Or Moss in short yard situations 

It just means over a long 17 game season you don’t want to give Your lead back The Bulk of hard yards inside the 5

It only keeps your backs fresher for more important games late in the season, When you can ride the hot guy

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. No more day 2 picks at RB. I am fine for them to go the draft, use for 4 years and then don't pay model... but only if they are chucking day 3 picks at the problem. Three day 2 picks is too many when they haven't drafted a single receiver on day 1 or 2 in five years now. They hit on Gabe which is covering themselves... I am optimistic they hit with Shakir too... but good outcomes does not always justify bad process. Draft receivers on day 2 and running backs on day 3. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. No more day 2 picks at RB. I am fine for them to go the draft, use for 4 years and then don't pay model... but only if they are chucking day 3 picks at the problem. Three day 2 picks is too many when they haven't drafted a single receiver on day 1 or 2 in five years now. They hit on Gabe which is covering themselves... I am optimistic they hit with Shakir too... but good outcomes does not always justify bad process. Draft receivers on day 2 and running backs on day 3. 

On a side note, I really hope they hit on Cook so we don't have to go through annual "Let's draft RB XY in the 1st round" mandatory thread :)

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.