Bills cuts

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'm with Gunner on this. While disappointed Howard didn't work out as planned, I thought the pick up was an excellent. Sometimes you need to take a swing, but of course all swings don't result in hits. If Beane stops taking calculated shots like this, I'll be far more concerned. I don't like the lost $$$, but in today's game that isn't a huge hit--it is very manageable. 

Keeping Howard on the roster, after he didn't earn the spot, would have been a HUGE mistake, IMO.

Swing and a miss?  Yes indeed. Major mistake? Hardly, IMO. 

Nope, Beane should be fired for the job he’s done! 😂😂

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

They have very good starters at the skill positions, yes.

They have average to slightly above average OL at the starting positions.

They have arguably the best QB in the league that makes them all look better than they are.

I'm hopeful of your middle statement but not convinced yet.  New starters, new OL coach...  let's see.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

If I remember correctly the *Pats gained about 220 yards total in that game.

You do remember correctly. 220 Yds rushing when everyone in the entire stadium knew they were not going to throw the ball. That's my point. The Dline was incapable of consistently stopping the run, especially in key situations - even when they knew it was going to be a run. They lacked the talent to play at an elite level. 

The offense, on the other hand, was capable of playing at an elite level in any game they played.

I have stated over and over that I wanted upgrades on offense, particularly along the Oline. It needed it as well. But, IMO, the Dline needed it as much or more. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

I'm hopeful of your middle statement but not convinced yet.  New starters, new OL coach...  let's see.  

I mean Dawkins and Morse are for sure. Bates CAN be. I don't know what Saffold is yet. And Spencer, while entertaining, has to prove it yet.

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I am thinking Blackshear may be safe there, most teams already have A RB they like and he knows the system. There is no doubt the Bills will lose players 

The way I see it is if they only lose 2 guys to waivers and maybe Duke Johnson to a signing it would be ok.

If 3 or more guys get picked up it will weaken the PS enough to be a bit of a concern.

Beane will fill it out the best he can but it's always good having guys that have spent time in the system.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think the Bills recognize that Bradin, Eli, and Prince on the DL all are PS potential players that they will cut today. 

If Bryant gets picked up - they have 2 other guys in the wings to make due.

The same goes with Blackshear and Duke Johnson.  There is a good chance 1 of the 2 is available to go onto the PS.

I will be interested to see Anderson and OL depth to the PS.  Bobby Hart and Van Rotten both have more than 4 years so like Barkley - one or both may already have a PS position lined up to get people through.  

Agree with the logic.  Anderson is probably safe, but you never know with OL.  He was the only one that seemed worth anything

when it came to the 3rd string OL.  Be nice to keep.

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding OJ Howard being cut:

I will simply say that I think the Bills made it a priority to significantly improve their TE2 spot in the past couple years, and they seem to have failed to do so.

In 2020 they tried and failed to bring in Greg Olsen.

Last season, they tried and failed to bring in Zach Ertz. There was also a rumor (for which I do not have proof) that they tried to trade for Evan Engram.

This offseason, they were heavily rumored to be trying to sign Evan Engram, but he wound up making more on the open market than the Bills were comfortable paying.

Furthermore, I think that had they been able to sign JD McKissic or Chase Edmonds (both of whom they targeted, both of whom chose other teams), there's a decent chance they would have used their second round pick on a tight end. They worked out Trey McBride, Jelani Woods, and others prior to the draft.

In any case, they failed to bring in a quality TE2 via trade, free agency, or the draft. 

Morris and Sweeney both look to be JAGs. Given all that we heard about the desire to employ more pro sets, and given Beane's history of not giving up on something once he begins pursuing it...I can't help but wonder if Beane will continue to try to find an upgrade at TE2, either via cuts or trade. As it stands now, I'd rather have McKenzie on the field than Sweeney or Morris. If the main purpose of each play is to put maximum stress on the defense, then 12 personnel does not seem to be very advisable at this moment.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not for lack of trying. Over and over and over and over again. 2 1sts and 2 2nds spent in the past what, 6 years on the DL?

Well, I don't think you can look strictly at the draft. You have to look at free agency (i.e.; Morse, Beasley) and trades (i.e.; Diggs) as well. As a whole, I would have liked more emphasis on the Oline. They have a QB that could end up being the best to ever play the game. I would like for the team to continually ensure he has a top Oline in front of him. From that perspective I don't disagree with you. 

My argument has been about this past offseason. I believe the Dline, in spite of the (failed) resources put into in past years, needed an drastic upgrade. Given their cap room in free agency and the way the draft played out, I think they had to make some hard choices. I believe this team, this year, will benefit more from what they did defensively - along with the addition of Kromer to the coaching staff.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.