Bills cuts

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

No! Brutal was releasing Star.  This is a significant hit, but far from brutal

I disagree. Star left us with §5.2M dead cap but he played here what, 3 seasons? Howard didn't play a snap and leaves us with $3,2M dead cap. That is much worse imo.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I expect we will have a significantly improved running game with the addition of Saffold and a frankly much better OL coach.  We have Allen, he dictates everything a defense has to do.  

That is certainly the glass half full view. I hope you are right. If our big 3 stay healthy I am relaxed about our offense. I do worry about our ability to withstand a significant injury (say even a 5 or 6 week one) for one of those 3. I appreciate that might be the glass half empty perspective but I have to be honest about how I see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Beane says one thing about protecting Josh and does another by going all in on defense. 

Time will tell and I know I repeated myself all off-season, but their playing 2nd fiddle to the offense was a disappointing approach. 

Sorry but offense was not the problem when we lost to the chiefs...    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree… With Howard being cut, their only significant offensive FA added to the off-season was an aging Roger Saffold. 😅

Nice of you to add the "aging" in there.  Not like you have an agenda or anything. :lol:

Crowder is a proven vet WR, but I guess he means nothing to you.  OJ was a good swing and miss.  Quessenberry will probably start at RT.  Mancz will be a backup C.

Oh, and they also brought back Bates, which IS a FA transaction.

Keep crusading, man.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am as disappointed as you. I liked the Howard pick up as a low risk, high reward offensive piece and I am really disappointed it has failed. In terms of passing targets for Josh it is really Sanders and Beasley out, Crowder (low ceiling vet), Shakir (5th round rookie) and Cook (2nd round rookie receiving back) in. Have they done enough? Only time will tell but it is a legit question to ask. 

I agree with your post, But I find It’s a strange question to ask.  Where do we stack up right now against every other team in the league?  We’re the favorites according to most.   At least point, it’s about  going to work and rolling the dice to see how the season plays out.  Outside variables other than roster construction often play major roles in how many teams’ seasons are ended.  The many rosters are good enough.  Our roster last year, was good enough.  One flip of the coin and this could’ve ended much differently.  

I think they’ve done enough…., I think many teams have done enough. Now it’s time to play the game.  Time to outwork our opponents.  Time to want it more than our opponents. Time for our coaches our opponents.  Time to see which unpredictable variables come into play and have positive or negative effects on our season.   The football gods will have their say.  Luck plays a role in whether or not we can say a FO had “done enough” in the offseason.  I thought they did enough last year.  Had the coin come up tails, we might still have been celebrating.  Lots of luck.

1 minute ago, gordong said:

Sorry but offense was not the problem when we lost to the chiefs...    

No that is fair. But it was the reason the Chief game was at Arrowhead and we were not the #1 seed. Offense vs Pitt. Offense vs Jags. Win those two against two teams we are clearly better than and we are home throughout January. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Well I certainly don’t throw out false predictions every week like someone here…. “Hammer the over against Carolina, bills backs ups are going to wipe the floor with them”😅

Did I say that?  I honestly don't remember.  If I did, it was (a) before the Panthers announced they would play their starters, and (b) because betting the overs in preseason is almost always a good call.

I'll stand by my predictions over the past five years with no apologies or regrets whatsoever.  You're the one who should be hiding his face around here.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I disagree. Star left us with §5.2M dead cap but he played here what, 3 seasons? Howard didn't play a snap and leaves us with $3,2M dead cap. That is much worse imo.

Well they don't let you spread the $5.2 mil over 3 seasons, so is still a $5.2 hit this year.  Thought Howard was a $2.6 mil hit.  Either way it's still less and $3 mil is not a brutal cap hit.  It might look bad as he never played, but not the first time i nthe NFL that has happened and often for larger cap hits.

9 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't get the hand-wringing over Howard's cap hit.  That was a sunk cost, right?  Not a reason to keep a guy around if the coaches felt like Morris was a better option.

It's a bit frustrating that we spent a couple mil that could've been used anywhere else on a flyer for a guy who never even makes it out of the preseason, but it is what it is... Domino effect from the McKissic shenanigans is real..

McKissic dips, we give his money to Howard, draft Cook and then cut Howard.  

I'd rather have Cook than McKissic, by far.. but if McKissic signed, we aren't out dead cap and likely use our RD2 pick on a different position. 

Edited by SCBills

41 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

seems dumb as a rock.  I didn't like his response to being drafted by the Bills.  That said, he might be Adrian Peterson reincarnate.  I hope so.  Don't see him as the next Freddie

Yeah, hes a lot better than Freddie

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Howard cut is rather brutal on several fronts

So too, I'm finding, are your posts.

It's all well and good to critique what the GM does -- we all do it -- but hyperbole is hyperbole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.