Bills cuts

Chandler#81

24 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

And so it begins!

Anyway, it's really interesting that they cut him before Blackshear. Curious if it means something...

I don’t know if the timing means anything but it is interesting they are hoping to put Duke on the PS, because typically they don’t have 2 RBs on the PS… where would that leave Blackshear. So maybe they are hoping for one or the other. Typically a guy like Blackshear wouldn’t get claimed. Every team has their rookie UDFA RB who they like in the preseason. Duke doesn’t go through waivers so maybe they are expecting him to either find a team or come back. Keep in mind he was on the street most of the regular season last year before signing with Miami so he’s not incredibly sought after. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

18 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think most people assume they will not sign a punter for the initial 53.  Use that space like a cut veteran to get someone to IR. 

I would assume Wednesday or Thursday they will sign a punter when they have opened up additional spots.

I expect Doyle and Stevenson to go to IR with at minimum Doyle being on recall IR.  

We will also see about the Morris injury and if that becomes an IR/recall need.

They will sign a veteran punter and give them about 1 week to get ready and work with Bass and Ferguson.

Right. I didn't day WHEN Bills would sign a punter  but I assume it will after 4pm today. 

A veteran punter should be fine within a week and the Bills will have a number to check out.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is correct and was a major change the NFL implemented this year.  Previously- PUP was 6 weeks and IR was 4, but they adjusted the rules to mirror each other more closely.

The PUP versus IR is a big difference for the team though as Ike moving to reserve PUP last week freed up a spot without losing him for the season.  It is why I also think White ends up there as it saves a spot.

For Doyle, Stevenson, and Morris - they will need to be on the active 53 man roster and then moved to IR if they want them to come back.  That is one reason I do not expect them to sign a punter until Wednesday - giving them an extra spot.  

Maybe even a veteran cut with one year left and then a re-sign to give a roster spot (usually a Jones or Kumerow type player).

I think IR was 3 actually... they have reduced PUP and extended IR to align. Or maybe the IR change came down a year sooner? 

But regardless I agree they won't sign a punter today. They will get their 53, make some IR moves then sign a punter. Remember last year or the one before Belichick went into week 1 without a kicker on his 53 because he cut his guy late and brought two vets into compete on the PS and used his free elevations the first few weeks until he settled on a guy (Nick Folk if memory serves). Not saying the Bills WILL do that but if they are the only team actively in the punter market it is an option. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.