OJ Howard

Warriorspikes51

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His replacement probably doesn’t affect the top 51 contracts. It was a wash. There is no difference keeping Morris over Howard.

You'll have to provide the math on that.

I think we definetly ate money cutting him...

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The player they’re keeping instead of Howard won’t affect the cap. They eat Howard’s cap and replaced him with the lowest paid player on the roster. Wash each other out.

You keep Morris or Sweeney over Howard. Howards contract is still on the books and you now add one of the two above on top of that.

14 minutes ago, wppete said:

Disappointing but he just didn’t look good out there. Look led sluggish. Seems like a solid guy, hope I h the best for him….. Morris will turn some heads this year. 

I noticed that too.  Even on his TD catch against the Colts....he looked slow.  I thought he was a guy that could shake a guy to get separation but he's running with led in his shoes.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't like getting nothing for him and just eating the guaranteed salary. That seems silly. Nobody would give us a 7th rounder in 2025 for him or something?

Beane has a track record for scoring late round picks for guys I think aren't tradeable because teams know they'll be cut.

Ordinarily I'd say that if Beane couldn't work a trade for a guy it's a bad outlook for the player, but it's possible that Beane was rather distracted for 3 crucial days last week.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:01 AM, ScottLaw said:

What have you been watching?

Film

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I noticed that too.  Even on his TD catch against the Colts....he looked slow.  I thought he was a guy that could shake a guy to get separation but he's running with led in his shoes.

Concur.

Edited by Beck Water

43 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

You'll have to provide the math on that.

I think we definetly ate money cutting him...

You are correct.  We ate money cutting him.  We pay him $3.25M (higher than this year's cap hit because his amortized bonus for next year adds onto this year's cap, plus once the top-51 rule expires, the salary of his replacement counts.

One of Magic Beane's rare blindspots is that he occasionally seems to over-value a guy's prior draft status and the potential it indicates in bringing him in on a multi-million guaranteed contract.  Corey Coleman in 2018 was one example.  OJ Howard joins the (relatively short) list.  To be fair, the year(s) after a mistake like that, Beane tends to focus scout resources on the position and bring in quality players, so perhaps he'll turn his attention to TE in that regard.

Doesn't help us this year, though.

BTW, Beane wasn't wrong that Coleman has potential, because after us NE; a more hopeful Giants team; and KC all took chances on him.  I can't blame Beane for taking a shot that our sports medicine and S&C people could help Howard, but I think he is just washed, physically.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The glass half full take is they must really like Morris if they were willing to give up on Howard this quickly and eat his guarantees.  

Very true.  Morris Cap hit is basically 3.3M.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It costs $450k more to keep Morris and cut Howard.

Yep - Morris is basically free.  Its whether you wanted to pay howard to play or not play. 

I doubt his contract had offset language so you can recoup some cash if he signs elsewhere.  Cap space is gone though.  

• Agree 1

I've been critical of Bean in the past but misfiring on Howard pales in comparison to some of his other failures like trading Wyatt Teller, Vernon Butler, Star L, etc.

But the bigger issue here is just because Morris and Sweeney both presumably make the final roster don't mean they are any good vs. Howard being that bad/finished in the NFL.

• Disagree 1

Howard even admitted that he was have a slow time grasping all of the terminology, calls and plays.  I'm glad we kept the younger guys.  I know I'm in the minority when it comes to Sweeney, but I still feel he has a high ceiling and feel that the coaching changes are going to help him reach a higher level. 

Go Bills!!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.