Extend Po Now - Protect the Culture

MarlinTheMagician

51 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He is not under contract for next year, and he is not holding out this year.  Just sign him for next season and give him some security. 

This is you and other fans thinking that you are part of the roster.

The reality:    

Most of the players on the team are either not under contract for next year or on an unguaranteed deal which provides zero "security".

Your concept is totally misguided.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

52 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He is not under contract for next year, and he is not holding out this year.  Just sign him for next season and give him some security. 

Your not thinking about this correctly. Giving Poyer 1 year next season is not security. He's likely got one more bite at the apple. He can play out this year then look for a 2-3 year deal. If he got a 1 year extension, that's unlikely to happen in 2024. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Where did he say he wanted a huge raise?  

i think he’d re up for 11-12 in gtd 2023 salary.  If he thinks he’s getting multiple years gtd at his age, he’s likely gotten some bad advice.  

He said so when he hired Drew Rosenhaus. Also his wife said he wasn’t taking any more team friendly deals so it’s inferred.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

AirBNB, don’t forget Oliver if we’re talking over two years, but whole heartedly agree with you’re two and Oliver.  I’m confident with these new DTs and Von, and year 2 with Rousseau, we are going to see a great year for Oliver.

If you're talking 2 years out Gabe Davis could be a big decision.  Jones and Settle also are up.

Hell, Bass will cost $5M per.

Looking forward is not a big priority for most of this board but I'm sure Beane and his boys consider it all the time.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you're talking 2 years out Gabe Davis could be a big decision.  Jones and Settle also are up.

Hell, Bass will cost $5M per.

Looking forward is not a big priority for most of this board but I'm sure Beane and his boys consider it all the time.

Yep CB, I think they have already.  They have an idea of the cap explosion.  We’ll see what happens and the ones we discussed will most likely find places elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yep CB, I think they have already.  They have an idea of the cap explosion.  We’ll see what happens and the ones we discussed will most likely find places elsewhere.

No doubt GMs have a better idea than any of us.  I have speculated that none of the guys talked about lately will get an extension 

this year.  I think Beane is going to let this year play out and see where the cap is going and move on from there.

If he signs one of them the rest will say "what about me"?  This way he sits back and watches how everyone plays this year.

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Think it's time to move on, seems like Poyer wants to max his last contract out. More power to him, he has to do what's right for his family.

Yea I don't begrudge poyer a last payday but it may mean he has to go to another team.  Theres a set value that the Bills will pay and if he feels disrespected he'll see what he's offered in fa.  If he get no substantially higher offers then he will need to choose. Obviously if a team does sign him to a big offer  good for him and hopefully with his sb ring already earned this season.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Beast said:

No. Draft and develop there. Worry about Ed Oliver, Knox and Edmunds. Not in that specific order but they come first.

seems like the right order to me.  Oliver and Knox, or Knox and Oliver, then Edmunds.  I can't see paying 2 LBs big money.  Only one of Edmunds/Milano remain after this season.  

42 minutes ago, boater said:

His wife, Rachel Bush (recommend Googling her) said it directly.

Poyer's actions, hiring Drew Rosenhaus as his agent, affirm it.

I guess I’ll just have to take your word for it.  I googled her and didn’t really see her say he wants a huge raise.  He wants to get paid more and end his career as a Bills.  

Poyers actions haven’t affirmed that he wants a “huge raise” imo. Rosenhaus hiring is the only telling action, and what 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I guess I’ll just have to take your word for it.  I googled her and didn’t really see her say he wants a huge raise.  He wants to get paid more and end his career as a Bills.  

Poyers actions haven’t affirmed that he wants a “huge raise” imo. Rosenhaus hiring is the only telling action, and what 

and even Rosenhaus has sort of mellowed over the years. I sure he’s still a tough advocate for all his players, but he doesn’t really do any of those media stunts he used to.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

seems like the right order to me.  Oliver and Knox, or Knox and Oliver, then Edmunds.  I can't see paying 2 LBs big money.  Only one of Edmunds/Milano remain after this season.  

Disagree.

They paid two LBs big money when they were in Carolina with a DC who has now become our head coach. They have no problem with that kind of valuing of the position.

IMO he's got it right, that Oliver, Knox and Edmunds will be the priorities. But I think they'd love to find a way to keep Poyer if possible. Not sure it will be.

You protect the culture by being honest and authentic in your choices as a gm. You protect the culture by constantly increasing the competition. Create an honest merit based environment and the rest falls into place... Poyer will be 32 next year and the bills have two young safeties in the pipeline. Anything beyond a 1 yr extension and some guarantees is a no go 

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Love Poyer as a person and player, but tough decisions need to be made with the Allen contract hitting. 

Poyer is one of them.  He walks after the season. 

Singletary is another.  He walks after the season. 

Also, I think one of Edmunds and Milano remains.  Either Edmunds walks or Milano is traded.  

Hopefully no hard feelings.  We simply can’t pay big money to a Safety, Running Back and both Linebackers. 

Hamlin, Benford and Jaquan Johnson (if re-signed) or a draft pick compete for the S spot opposite Hyde. 

Moss, Cook and a draft pick or low level FA take over at RB.  Maybe Blackshear if he can stay stashed on our PS this year. 

Bernard bumps up to starter and/or we draft a linebacker. 

At least that’s my opinion.. 

yep, this is the final year for several starters.  lets go have a great season

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.