Extend Po Now - Protect the Culture

MarlinTheMagician

13 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Hyde is on the books in 2023 for $10.8 million.  Probably could have Poyer for about the same.  Not buying Johnson as the equivalent, and you would have to pay him to start.  Not buying Hamlin as the equivalent either.  Though I like both.  No reason they can't afford Poyer one more year.

There are a number of reasons..........like the contract extensions of pending UFA Dawson Knox and extension-eligibles Ed Oliver and Gabriel Davis after this season.

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Players do notice whether or not a team pays players that have earned it. That definitely matters to them and their agents and it impacts contracts and negotiations. Poyer has earned it. He should get paid accordingly. 

They've been paying him and already worked his contract multiple times.    

Fans have a misconception that how other players contracts are handled matters greatly to the locker room.

They worry about how THEY themselves get paid and largely ignore whether someone else is being compensated equitably.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Fans have a misconception that how other players contracts are handled matters greatly to the locker room.

They worry about how THEY themselves get paid and largely ignore whether someone else is being compensated equitably.

The other player do not care how much Poyer gets paid so much as they  care about whether or not the Bills will step up if they outperform their contract. I’m not saying that this is something that will derail the season or anything, but this kind of thing impacts contract negotiations. The only real potential for issues this season is if it impacts Poyer’s play. For example, some players would not want to play through injury and put bad tape out there just prior to hitting FA. 

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Players do notice whether or not a team pays players that have earned it. That definitely matters to them and their agents and it impacts contracts and negotiations. Poyer has earned it. He should get paid accordingly. 

While he's earned it, players also understand it's a business and teams can't pay everyone who has earned it, especially after their franchise QB earned and received it.

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You’re not wrong, but he’s also been rewarded once for his play. 

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He is not under contract for next year, and he is not holding out this year.  Just sign him for next season and give him some security. 

Poyer

Edmunds

Hyde

Davis

Knox

You can’t keep them all.  If it was up to me…I’m starting with the weapons needed to make Josh successful….Knox and Davis.  Both negotiations in the off-season.  

I let Poyer and Edmunds walk after this season, and sign Hyde to a short term deal.

Edited by BTB
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

Disagree, Poyer and Hyde were on the field during those "13 seconds", we're they not? They're both getting by on reputation at this point. I'd rather draft a big hitting, Leonard Smith, Steve Atwater type safety that opposing receivers have to think about. 

While you're at it, build that time machine so you can go back to 1991 when that was the kind of safety that teams actually wanted

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Poyer is awesome but I think what he would be looking for, and deserves, is too much for us at his age and the others we needto sign….I think we let him walk. 

I agree with this. I don't think his age is a concern as a safety though. He's probably got another 5 years in him. He's absolutely worth the money, but maybe just not for us.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

While you're at it, build that time machine so you can go back to 1991 when that was the kind of safety that teams actually wanted

Yes!   Also, no on wants a LB who can tackle and make game changing plays.  In todays game, give me one with a big wing span who can stand in the middle of the field doing nothing. 

/sarcasm off

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

one of the Teletubbies, I believe

You just gave me nightmares of when my three were babies.  Bla bla bla goes through the door.  Ugghh.  At least Barbie was kind of cute.  I was much happier when the boys got into Annoying Orange, SpongeBob, and Family Guy.

Im just hopeful my kids when they have kids have to endure the same Sadist punishment.  Man, I love my kids.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Where did he say he wanted a huge raise?  

i think he’d re up for 11-12 in gtd 2023 salary.  If he thinks he’s getting multiple years gtd at his age, he’s likely gotten some bad advice.  

Coming off an All-Pro season where he's currently the 20th highest paid safety at $9.75M/Yr ...

You don't think he'd want to be paid at least top 10? Top 10 is $13M/Yr.

Harrison Smith is 32 years old and making $16M per year, by the way.

All of this is a moot point because Poyer isn't holding out and is fine to play out the season. It would be a panic move and isn't necessary.

34 minutes ago, BTB said:

Poyer

Edmunds

Hyde

Davis

Knox

You can’t keep them all.  If it was up to me…I’m starting with the weapons needed to make Josh successful….Knox and Davis.  Both negotiations in the off-season.  

I let Poyer and Edmunds walk after this season, and sign Hyde to a short term deal.

AirBNB, don’t forget Oliver if we’re talking over two years, but whole heartedly agree with you’re two and Oliver.  I’m confident with these new DTs and Von, and year 2 with Rousseau, we are going to see a great year for Oliver.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BTB said:

Yes!   Also, no on wants a LB who can tackle and make game changing plays.  In todays game, give me one with a big wing span who can stand in the middle of the field doing nothing. 

/sarcasm off

Sorry chief, if your main criteria in a high-quality safety is punishing and most likely, illegal hits, then I'm not sure if we're watching the same game here in good old 2022

I’d love for a Poyer extension, but I feel like he’s going to want (and deservedly so) much closer to the “market rate” than Buffalo can afford and still extend young guys like Oliver and Knox.  

If what he’s asking for is going to be cost prohibitive salary cap wise, let him walk after his contract expires.  Johnson and Hamlin are good young safeties.

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

Coming off an All-Pro season where he's currently the 20th highest paid safety at $9.75M/Yr ...

You don't think he'd want to be paid at least top 10? Top 10 is $13M/Yr.

Harrison Smith is 32 years old and making $16M per year, by the way.

All of this is a moot point because Poyer isn't holding out and is fine to play out the season. It would be a panic move and isn't necessary.

I hear ya.  I don’t think anyone is going to pay him huge money and he wants to stay here. Getting guaranteed money is often what the older players want. Maybe 13M…. I don’t see them giving him more than that. 

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

AirBNB, don’t forget Oliver if we’re talking over two years, but whole heartedly agree with you’re two and Oliver.  I’m confident with these new DTs and Von, and year 2 with Rousseau, we are going to see a great year for Oliver.

I knew I forgot someone…and yes I would include Oliver, over Poyer and Edmunds. 👍🏻

Edited by BTB

Just now, BTB said:

I knew I forgot someone…and yes I would included Oliver over Poyer and Edmunds. 👍🏻

I hope you didn’t mind the pun.  It was with luv brother.  Yeah, I think we have the three we need.  Benford might be Edmunds replacement in time.  Hyde if he understands he is getting older may accept a short extension.  The backup safeties have been good.  They won’t be Dr. Poyer and Mr. Hyde, but the TSW guys have to get used to the fact that our team is so good we will lose some.  

Minimize risk, and maximize gains.  I say it often, but in McBeane we trust or at least me. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.