Best players in Preseason???

wppete

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Josh and Davis showing the KC game was just the beginning all camp long and the one brief drive stands out and hasn't been mentioned yet.

But I get, its more about the lesser knows...best of the preseason has to be Shakir who really had about as good a camp and preseason you could ask for in a rookie WR.  

Like others have said, both young corners showed a lot of potential.  

I know he won't get mentioned because he got a little dinged up, but I really liked what I saw from Tim Settle early and in camp.  I said it when we signed him, I think he could be one of those over under the radar moves that really pans out.  

I do also think Shaq, especially in this last game, really went from unlikely to make the team, to making a case to stick around.  I am not sold he still does, we are just deep at DE, but his last game he was a stand out against Car starters.  

Can also offer Shaq a vet spot on the PS.  He could decide that's better than just taking any offer.  He could be insurance and he'd earn a ring if we get  it done this year as expected.

Edited by AuntieEm

59 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Benard was bad?

I think he has struggled in coverage but been better than I expected playing the run. At the moment he is our Klein replacement to me...  you have to use him running vertically towards the line of scrimmage because he struggles going laterally covering ground. 

A name on my most impressive list not yet mentioned - Jaquan Johnson. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he has struggled in coverage but been better than I expected playing the run. At the moment he is our Klein replacement to me...  you have to use him running vertically towards the line of scrimmage because he struggles going laterally covering ground. 

Agreed on Johnson.

Johnson sticks his head in everywhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I feel Bernard makes the team, not a slam dunk.  He looked awful on a couple of pass coverages.  I’d expect they could hide it somewhat with starters, 2nd’s around him and a true regular season game plan.

Dude has a high motor and looks really good at the line covering the run, blitzing.  I hope his pass coverage breakdowns are an anomaly, and more of a function of vanilla defense and playing with 2nd and 3rd tier players and those who will be cut.

Regarding the OP’s question:
Feel Shaq makes the team.

Shakir has been great, Crowder can go.

Cook didn’t look as good last game versus Duke, but will make the team.  Black shear is a gamer and I really like him, won’t make the cut.

Sweeney makes the team.  Keep Morris.  OJ Howard can go, kinda feel playing as late in the game as he did doesn’t bode well for him.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

IMO, You must have seen a different group of games than what I saw. He is a PS squad guy at best. He had zero ability to handle the edge. I thought he was outplayed by the undrafted kid Anderson. 

I’m a Blackshear fan, but I’m now much more worried we lose Anderson than Blackshear.

Probably 3x the need in the NFL for depth linemen vs depth RBs.

Also, teams know Kromer is real good & will look more closely at our OL to PS cuts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Josh and Davis showing the KC game was just the beginning all camp long and the one brief drive stands out and hasn't been mentioned yet.

But I get, its more about the lesser knows...best of the preseason has to be Shakir who really had about as good a camp and preseason you could ask for in a rookie WR.  

Like others have said, both young corners showed a lot of potential.  

I know he won't get mentioned because he got a little dinged up, but I really liked what I saw from Tim Settle early and in camp.  I said it when we signed him, I think he could be one of those over under the radar moves that really pans out.  

I do also think Shaq, especially in this last game, really went from unlikely to make the team, to making a case to stick around.  I am not sold he still does, we are just deep at DE, but his last game he was a stand out against Car starters.  

I agree.  I think we are going to have a very dominating run defense this year.   With the necessary pass rush from Miller and Rosseau we should not be in the position we were at KC with 13 seconds to go.

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Cook didn’t look as good last game versus Duke, but will make the team.  Black shear is a gamer and I really like him, won’t make the cut.

Cook catching passes from Allen is different from a slow keenam.  

7 hours ago, Forlorn hope said:

Absolutely yes. Only thing is I think Elam is awesome in man, but meh in zone. But I don't think they picked Elam to play much zone regardless 

I truly believe Elam was brought in for that very reason. I think our D will incorporate more man press coverage on certain down and distance situations to disrupt  receivers like Tyreek Hill and throw off opposing offenses rythum and timing patterns.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kaenon said:

In no particular order...I liked what I saw from:

Lawson

Shakir

Hodgins

Bernard

Johnson (Duke)

Morris

Hodgins looked way better than I expected…

so much so I went back to his college highlights… didn’t realize he was Such a dominant collegiate player. 

he could absolutely contribute, his catch radius is notable 

13 hours ago, CNYfan said:

Just last night

Duke Johnson looked very good.  Better than Cook. 

The entire OLine was very bad except for Alec Andreson (PS) and S. Brown. 

Morris was good.  Shakir was good. 

Elam was good, Bernard was bad.  Benford was a work in progress.

Shaq was good.  Boogie not so much.  

I was shocked at how good Duke looked against the Colts. Didn’t think he had those moves. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

I'll bite... is this sarcasm lol. I've noticed him negatively a ton. Doyle was like Spencer Brown, super high upside athletically but raw. I believe Tenuta has one of the worst athleticism scores on our team

I didn't get that pick either.  Size without athleticism.  

FNDkBliX0AEohAO.png

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.