Bills show what a class organization they are

marck

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He had sex with a minor. He admitted that. And that’s the best case scenario. You are doing a lot of victim blaming for a guy who at best case is guilty of statutory rape. But yeah, it’s the liberal media fault! 

Terrible take. This individual lied about her age to attend a college party. A 17 year old “ minor” can easily look to be a college student. It’s not like Araiza is some 50 year old pervert. This sounds like a typical college hookup. You’re picking nits about statutory rape. Anyway, it no longer matters as he’s been released, but I certainly hope as a fan that NO PART of the Bills decision was reached to placate the media. 

No, the Bills got caught with their pants down trying to sneak one under the bench. Now they look like ***** and the morals of the FO, which had been pretty immaculate, are stained. Not to mention from a logistics standpoint they went into camp with two punters and came out with none.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 3

Just now, pigpen65 said:

No, the Bills got caught with their pants down trying to sneak one under the bench. Now they look like ***** and the morals of the FO, which had been pretty immaculate, are stained. Not to mention from a logistics standpoint they went into camp with two punters and came out with none.

Except you're wrong, so there's that too.  

4 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Can you explain how they tried to sneak one under the bench?

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Proud this is the team I am a massive fan of.  

Well, don’t be so hard on yourself.  I mean, you are above average, but I prefer to think of it as “big boned”. 

:)

I also love this team and have for decades. I’m not at all surprised that this FO handled a difficult situation about as well as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

In the meantime, the Bills make their decisions and move on.  Might it have made sense to hold on to Haack for a few more weeks because it was possible something broke?   Well, yeah, I suppose, but the Bills had no way to know if or when anything would break.  But frankly, it's a minor decision.  The guy is a punter, and if something happens that forces the Bills to release him, they can always find another punter.  When they let Haack go, they decided they'd go with the best punter, and if something happened, then they would deal with it. 

Something happened.  She sued Araiza.   The news broke late on Thursday, the Bills were on the road and had a game Friday.  The Bills benched Araiza for the game and cut him on Saturday.   Could they have acted faster?  Well, maybe, but really, they were on the road, they had to talk to lawyers and to the NFL and to Araiza and his lawyers and to the union.  

I'm fine with all of that.  

I think McDermott was pretty bad in his solo press conference after the game, and I think both Beane and McDermott did a poor job in the press conference Saturday night.  McDermott clearly was afraid to say the wrong thing and wasn't comfortable with what he should say.  Beane, to his credit, powered through as well as he could.  The best thing he said, twice, was that he and McD are just football people and they don't know how to handle all of this.  They're just trying to do the best they can.  

The worst thing he said, over and over, was that the Bills decided to cut him because it would be best for Matt to focus on dealing with this problem.   That's pure BS.   If you have a job, and you get sued, the worst thing that can happen to you is to get fired from your job.  You want to keep your job, if for no other reason because you'll need to pay your lawyers.   Watson didn't get fired - he practiced all last season, just didn't play in any games.   He has some serious allegations going on, and he didn't need to quit his job to deal with them, and Araiza didn't, either.  

The Bills cut Araiza for one simple reason - once they cut him the press will stop talking about it as an issue.   The only story the press question the press has that people are interested is "why do you continue to have this bad man on your roster?"   As soon as you cut the guy, the question goes away.   Nobody, at lest nobody who's getting national coverage, is asking the Texans why it took them so long to get rid of Watson.   To the extent anyone cares are bad men in the NFL, they're asking the Browns that question now.   Nobody is going to be asking three weeks from now why the Bills didn't cut Araiza in July.   The Bills know that, and the NFL PR people told them that.  

The Bills knew if they cut the guy, they'd have a press conference to stumble through, some follow up questions in the following days, and then it will be over.   So, that's what they did.  Beane and McDermott did stumble, but they got through it.  They'll have a few more questions, but they'll be telling the press that the team is moving on.  

The standard for teams handling issues such as this should not be the the Browns and the Texans, who have been widely and righteously trashed for their Watson actions.  By the start of the season, Watson was not practicing or traveling with the Texans, nor was he on the sidelines during home games.  He was listed as inactive week to week.   The Bills, after Thursday's bombshell hit, still intended for Araiza to play Friday night.  It wasn't until 5:30 PM that the news broke that he would not appear in the game.

Also, the Plaintiff seems to have gone a long way to "cook up" these allegations, wouldn't you say?

The reasonable criticism they are facing, obviously, is "acted faster" meaning in late July when had the same info the rest of the world found out Thursday.  "something happened"--the cat was out of the bag on what the Bills were sitting on (this lawsuit).   They didn't suddenly "find out" something on Thursday.

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He had sex with a minor. He admitted that. And that’s the best case scenario. You are doing a lot of victim blaming for a guy who at best case is guilty of statutory rape. But yeah, it’s the liberal media fault! 

I don’t know how many times I’ve addressed the issue and linked the legal info, but California law allows defendants to prove they had a reasonable and actual reason to believe the victim was 18 or over at the time. It’s not cut and dried at all that Araiza admitted to felony statutory rape.

Isn't there a whole thread to debate Matts guilt or innocence or the merits of the case? 

TAKE ALL THAT NOISE THERE.

Beane, McD, and the Bills organization deserve a heck of a lot more benefit of the doubt here than all these conspiracy nonsense theories that keep getting repeated.  

To be honest, I find the position of many people here to be both disappointing and disturbing.  Stop trying to negatively sensationalize the situation into something twisted to fuel your interest in tearing down the character of this regime.  It's 100% misguided.  

Bills, McD, and Beane handled this incredibly well respecting the fact these were accusations...not criminal chargers, nor a civil case yet...when they were made aware of them by a civil attorney looking for money for his client.  At the same time, taking them very serious and working behind the scenes to try and get enough info to figure out if this is a credible accusation and moving towards a real case.  

Once it progressed into a filed case, their inability to get enough of the things they tried to get, making it seemingly impossible for them to determine any truth or prove the version Matt told them, they had no choice to cut him and move on.   And once the situation escalated into an actual filed civil suit, they immediately pulled him from the game, practices, etc and cut him the next day after the game.

And not only that, they did not run or hide from this.  McD sat up there after the game and immediately went into this and repeatedly said no football questions, all we are going to talk about is this because its bigger than football.   Most coaches would not have even taken questions on it, let alone the entirety or the press conference.  

Then the next day, Beane and McD again sat out there for over 25 minutes taking questions, even stupid and repetitive ones, without hesitation and disclosing as much as they could considering its an ongoing case as of now.  Most teams would have just had a GM release a statement, a controlled short video or interview.  Or if they had the courage to take questions, would have done a few questions and then moved on.  

These guys are a total class act and never hide or shy away in moments like this.  And honestly, if you cant see that then I don't know what to tell you.  Too many people in this society want to turn everything into the negative way they view the world.  And with McD and Beane...you are way off the mark. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The standard for teams handling issues such as this should not be the the Browns and the Texans, who have been widely and righteously trashed for their Watson actions.  By the start of the season, Watson was not practicing or traveling with the Texans, nor was he on the sidelines during home games.  He was listed as inactive week to week.   The Bills, after Thursday's bombshell hit, still intended for Araiza to play Friday night.  It wasn't until 5:30 PM that the news broke that he would not appear in the game.

Also, the Plaintiff seems to have gone a long way to "cook up" these allegations, wouldn't you say?

The reasonable criticism they are facing, obviously, is "acted faster" meaning in late July when had the same info the rest of the world found out Thursday.  "something happened"--the cat was out of the bag on what the Bills were sitting on (this lawsuit).   They didn't suddenly "find out" something on Thursday.

They claim they did, so are you saying Beane and McDermott are lying?

16 hours ago, marck said:

Lets take the opportunity to congratulate the Buffalo Bills organization for the way they handled this very difficult issue with Matt Ariaza.

Each step was calculated, the response measured and the action swift and deceive.

Maybe organizations like the Browns and Dolphins can use this to learn that in player acquisition ethics, integrity and character are far more important then play on the field.

Okay i get where your coming from but what happened to innocent UNTIL PROVEN guilty i get it but they preach team & family/culture . If this was your child would you just assume they are guilty & get rid of them or should you wait to find out the facts before you make such a decision ?

Make him a inactive player & have him not travel or practice with the team until more of the facts come to light it almost seems as if he is presumed guilty and has to prove he is innocent .

What if this person is a gold digging slut ? It's awful funny none of this came out until after he signed a deal for a lot of money . If this was Josh would they have just cut him ? Just asking .

Just saying there have been gold digging sluts before this just looking for a pay day & there will be in the future .

6 minutes ago, T master said:

Okay i get where your coming from but what happened to innocent UNTIL PROVEN guilty i get it but they preach team & family/culture . If this was your child would you just assume they are guilty & get rid of them or should you wait to find out the facts before you make such a decision ?

Make him a inactive player & have him not travel or practice with the team until more of the facts come to light it almost seems as if he is presumed guilty and has to prove he is innocent .

What if this person is a gold digging slut ? It's awful funny none of this came out until after he signed a deal for a lot of money . If this was Josh would they have just cut him ? Just asking .

Just saying there have been gold digging sluts before this just looking for a pay day & there will be in the future .

So you want the Bills to use two of the 53 man roster spots on punters?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They knew of the accusations yet cut Haack and had every intention of keeping Araiza until it became a national story. In the end, they did the right thing , but let's not go overboard praising someone for doing what they should do.

Think they cut Haack because they had no intention of going into the season with him as punter either way. It was a case of Araiza or another.

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They knew of the accusations yet cut Haack and had every intention of keeping Araiza until it became a national story. In the end, they did the right thing , but let's not go overboard praising someone for doing what they should do.

Agreed. Also cutting a sixth round punter before final cut down day isn’t exactly season altering move. This was a very, very easy call from an organizational standpoint. 

10 minutes ago, T master said:

How many times must people have it explained that innocent until proven guilty is for a court proceeding, it's not about job security.

'gold digging slut'?  I'm guessing we know who's side you are on.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.