Bills show what a class organization they are

marck

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I mostly agree, but I'd still pump the breaks just a tiny bit, as we can't confirm for sure what they knew before even drafting him, or how much they knew the past couple months.

Some reports suggest other teams were aware of certain things about this case pre-draft (hence the best punting prospect in ages being the 3rd off the board), and others say the Bills were made aware of aspects as early as June.

I really don't know, but I'd just caution heaping too much praise right away. Still, they do deserve credit for moving on this quickly, and that is something I 100% support.

Despite his nickname, Araiza wasn’t the best punting prospect in ages. 
He wasn’t even the best punting prospect in 2022 draft. 
JordanStout from PSU had a better net average than Araiza.  Stout had a far better hang time.  And more punts downed inside the 20.  Total return yardage for Stouts punts were about 26 yds; return yards for Araiza punts were 200+ yds and a couple TDs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think it’s silly to say The bills are a class organization because they released MA 

When they have a alleged murderer on the wall of fame and another player with who got arrested for domestic abuse

Now I’m not saying those things make them a classless organization… But They are a football organization

They generally do what they think is in the best interest of the team… I didn’t think them keeping Dodson made them classless… Tho some certainly did

And I don’t equate them cutting MA to class

This.

They made a business decision.

Football is a cutthroat business by nature.   You can't hide your "classy" decisions on the football field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I see I touched a nerve simply expressing a bit of restraint on giving too much credit.

Feels like people like setting themselves up for disappointment. Imagine if tomorrow Washington Post releases some emails where Beane dismisses concerns about the legal investigation dated in June... then how would boasting about the great morals of the Bills be?

Not saying it would happen, just leave SOME room for human error. This post paints the entire Bills organization & everyone involved like a shining beacon of morality, something we know better than to do.

Hell, I didn't even disagree with the OP, but hey... get mad for me passing on a friendly reminder 😅

Edited by BigDingus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The criminal case began the day after the alleged rape.  9 days later the cops were taking a pretext call to Araiza.

The Bills firing was inevitable.  The Bills knew a civil suit was coming weeks ago.  Their “thorough investigation” would have made them aware of many of the details of the suit.  Yet the still did nothing, other than cut last year’s punter. 

Then, after a massive and predictable PR disaster follows once the public is aware of what the Bills already knew about this whole thing, and with no new info….they cut him.

Real class.

No disrespect, but this is my point.  People keep posting stuff like this that is inaccurate.  Your post here is not accurate, its not your fault, but its not correct.  Your outrage is being guided at incorrect info.  

4 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Possibly. They could have held on to both until Tuesday and cut Haack then though; bought some time to see if anything else came out.

As you say, perhaps they decided there were enough free agent punters and those who will appear on waivers that we considered ourselves in a better position cutting Haack whatever the outcome with Araiza.

I think he was gone either way after multiple mishaps last year. This was the bills cutting him earlier than need be so he could try and catch on somewhere else after a disappointing season

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

They did.  Class act for sure.  Another scum FO will pick him up

@DrPJax did you say you would stop being a bills fan if the FO did this?

No , I said if they used the words “ we are doing the CLASSY “ thing as their only reason, I would lose faith and repeat for them, and if that was their reason to cut a struggling  in crisis young man , I would not follow them just like if they had signed Watson. “ Being “ classy” has nothing to do with their move. It is based on culture fir the organization,.   Not some flashy word ;   plus as more info came out it looks like the police possibly withheld vital  info , perhaps even from the university as it is looking more like criminal charges  may now be in the works. All I was stating was be thorough, complete the investigation, and they took 48 hours to do so. It was obvious it was going to drag on more.  Show me where they used being “ classy “ in their decision.  Don’t try to twist my words.  I also expressed  that if evidence was proven true , I wanted him off the team.  But if the FO flippantly said this was a classy move , like you said , that is the epitome of mass hysteria, unprofessional management and just being simplistic minded.  There is no class involved here.  It’s business related , it’s a personal tragedy for a young man and the victim and it’s for the culture presently established and for the future culture for the team to be consistent and move ahead.   Classy is doing something to sit in with a trend or a style of dress is “ classy”, not deciding with little analysis on a young man’s future.   This was after gathering all possible info. and not indicative of some  jerk reactions. Beane  and Mcd both still spoke respectfully about him as he faces challenges ahead.  

Go read all of my posts , not take things out of context.  It also came out they have been struggling with getting more info since July. Fans may use things like “class” act;  there is no class system in business.  It’s professional behavior to protect investments and goal oriented. It is  Not about being perceived as “ classy “ as that term has no monetary or legal value.  Again , show me where Beane or Mcd said they released ariza because it was the “ classy “ thing to do ! That’s your way of attempting to say “ I was right “ and that has no place in corporate decision making.  They don’t draft or keep or release a player because it’s “ classy”!  It’s a business and also a moral based decision.  Parts of  This same fan base is so “classy “ they have begged for sociopaths like Antonio brown to be on the squad.while I have consistently opposed such destructive actions for short term gain !
  It’s not about bring an “ act” as that implies being less than truthful. It’s about being a professional organization with a mission statement and being sustainable!  This is a multibillion $ company and they have the resources and TIME to do things according to their mission and not making judgements based on fans calling for being “ classy “ on a moments notice! That’s how  I have seen great companies succeed.  Once more evidence ( their words ) was coming out and things are looking more like criminal filings will happen, they made a mature decision decisively and I was always good with that. Hey , they knew about the civil action POSSIBILITY , and still only acted after it became reality and not theoretically possible.  They were visibly shaken , and took no pleasure or joy in doing this and I’m sure they didn’t feel “ classy “ making that hard decision.  I respect that , but not someone twisting my words as some attempt as a got ya moment!  

No one wins in these tragic human behavior examples and real lives , families are suffering.  Think about that rather than trying to gloat and you might  grow as a person.  Nice try , but it’s a shallow trait and no one wins, not even you.  That’s the reality and has nothing to do with “ being classy”. 😉 I will remain a Bills fan just as I have since’ 63, and it’s obvious they did the hard thing to do and they did it with much thought and as much investigation as they reasonably could while facing a press corp trying for click bait and being critical that it somehow should have been easier and more immediate.  Where was this great holier than  thou press contingent when Ariza was drafted if they are so infallible?  Being in medicine for 40 plus years I have been honored to be allowed to experience  loss, death of close friends/ patents, DV, child and sexual abuse, addiction , depression and suicide, aging and cancer and most of life’s hardest moments in the company of my cherished patients. None of life’s great challenges reaches resolution because it was the “ classy” solution responsible.  That is not real hunan emotion.or how tragic things resolve.  Just my humble opinion., and I don’t apologize for my experiences as I have empathy for both victim and Ariza just beginning their life’s journey. Best wishes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

100%.  Class act all the way.  Not just today, but even not rushing to judgement on Matt and trying to find out facts recognizing this was an accusation prior to this.  

I completely applaud everything they have done in the handling of this.  Even how McD handled the post game PC refusing to talk football and only talk about this because this is bigger than a game.  

Beane and McD handling of the press conference too was all class act despite some sleezy attempts by reporters to force narratives to try and paint a bad picture for click bait headlines.  

Proud this is the team I am a massive fan of.  

I’m 100% behind this decision but 5 years from now, most everyone will have  forgotten about it.   Wins and losses are remembered 

• Like (+1) 1

I love the Buffalo Bills. I've been a diehard fan of them longer than most people on this broad have been alive. My loyalty to them will not change because of this situation.

BUT, to say they handled this with class, I'm not there yet.

What bothers me, is they at least new about this since July 29. Why was there not an urgency then? At that point, their actions indicate that football was more important than life. Do a Google search on the topic and, depending on how one classifies it, experts report that no more than 10%, to as low as 2%, of all rape accusations are falsified. So, even in the best of odds, 9 out of 10 accusations are proven true. That fact alone should have caused the Bills to move into an accelerated gear to get to the truth and put a pause on their loyalty to Araiza.

I realize I do not know much about what they did or did not do at that point. But the evidence is clear it was not enough to convince them to keep from moving forward with Araiza.

I think the world of Beane and McDermott, and the Pegulas, and what they have done for this team. But I can't give a shallow fan nod to them on this and say "good work, way to put this behind us, now let's get on with winning football games."

Bills fans, don't think for a minute the national media and public's general response to this is going to commend the Bills for how well they handled it. In their eyes, the Bills and the Browns are now the same thing. Get use to it.

The lack of urgency and movement once they knew about the charges (charges that, once reported, prove to be true over 90% of the time) will leave a stench on this team.

I do believe that what happened in the organization after July 29 has to be accounted for. The actions of the team, in releasing Haack and committing to Araiza, do not scream "thorough investigation" or that they took the accusation as seriously as they should have when they first learned about it.

Sorry, as much as I respect what this regime has done for us, they fumbled this one and I cannot agree with anyone on here that thinks this justifies the label of "class organization." They convincingly and by their own doing, were not in this circumstance.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

They did the best to manage a bad situation.  That’s it.  I think McD was hit personally the way he responded in the presser.  

The bottom line is it’s over for us fans, but not for all parties involved in this scenario.

Hopefully, but the way the plaintiff's lawyer is acting he seems to want to drag the Bills into it, accusing them of negligence and such. I wonder if they file a separate suit against the Bills.

Given the nature of the accusations, this was absolutely predictable when the accusations came out and could not be easily refuted. Every team in the NFL would have done the same thing with a rookie punter, including the Browns and the Chiefs.  You can't give any special credit to Bills for releasing him.  A rookie punter is simply not worth the distraction.

Edited by Billy Claude

9 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

The only misstep for me is cutting Haack over Araiza. If they knew this was hanging over the latter, why cut the former when they did?

Yup, that’s where I’m at as well.  Very odd to cut Haack last Monday…it’s a head scratcher.

That aside, can’t argue with how they handled things once the suit was filed.

Grab another punter this week and we’re on to LA.

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

100%.  Class act all the way.  Not just today, but even not rushing to judgement on Matt and trying to find out facts recognizing this was an accusation prior to this.  

I completely applaud everything they have done in the handling of this.  Even how McD handled the post game PC refusing to talk football and only talk about this because this is bigger than a game.  

Beane and McD handling of the press conference too was all class act despite some sleezy attempts by reporters to force narratives to try and paint a bad picture for click bait headlines.  

Proud this is the team I am a massive fan of.  

Not even close, lol...read the D&C. The Bills need to take accountability for a culture that allowed an alleged rapist to stay on the team for four weeks while they cut their other option. Their "thorough" investigation was not thorough, and they appear to have gambled that this would blow over by the time they made their decision. Gilleon's criticisms of the organization need to be taken seriously. This is not how you handle a rape allegation against an employee. 

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I mostly agree, but I'd still pump the breaks just a tiny bit, as we can't confirm for sure what they knew before even drafting him, or how much they knew the past couple months.

Some reports suggest other teams were aware of certain things about this case pre-draft (hence the best punting prospect in ages being the 3rd off the board), and others say the Bills were made aware of aspects as early as June.

I really don't know, but I'd just caution heaping too much praise right away. Still, they do deserve credit for moving on this quickly, and that is something I 100% support.

Dunno if four weeks (July 31 to now) would be considered quick in the context of a rape allegation, particularly since they appear to have known (or should have known) that he admitted to having sex with her on his phone call, at least according to the D&C. If that report was out there and the Bills knew that the admission had been made, they knowingly contracted a guy who had admitted to statutory rape. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.