McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Quick recap

I'll put this here, too, since people may be dead-threading the immense "lawsuit" thread.

LA times article on July 29.  Lawyer called Kathryn D'Angelo July 30 and sent follow up email (?with pics?) Aug 1

The young woman’s experience has continued to haunt her.

She arrived at the Halloween party dressed as a fairy. She had already been drinking with her friends, she said, when she met a San Diego State football player at the house just blocks from campus. The player gave her a drink and eventually led her inside the house to a bedroom where she said several of his teammates took turns sexually assaulting her, slamming her down on a bed and ripping out her piercings.

Covered in blood, she found her friends outside after what she believed to be more than an hour.

“I was just raped,” she told them.

The next day, with bruises across her neck and down her legs, she filed a report with San Diego police and underwent a rape exam at Rady Children’s Hospital. The arduous process lasted through the night as her body was swabbed and she was tested for pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

Photos provided to The Times by her attorney, Dan Gilleon, show dark bruises across her neck, and on her knee and calf. One photo shows blood on part of her costume. Gilleon said he is preparing a lawsuit that would include names of known suspects.

That sounds like a lot of detail mapping out the boulder field, including the detail that Gilleon is prepping a filing.

I love me some Beane, but his explanation does not entirely add up to me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

He has a pending/open criminal investigation for rape in which he is named a suspect. 

In the interest of accuracy. 

Does he really? Isn't the lack of an investigation and charges the reason why Jane Doe's lawyer went medieval on Araiza on Twitter?

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

why is the coach reviewing the lawsuit.  too hands on if true.  Glad Bean was lead on speaking today.  

Whole situation sucks.  

promising rookie, awful allegations, facts being kept under seal by police for some reason (not implying they shouldn’t), cut him and possibly ruin his nfl chance, keep him and its a media distraction.  Cutting him os right thing for team.  If the accusations are true I hope he pays, and if not true I hope the accuser is held accountable.  

2 hours ago, KHAN said:

Everything else aside (which is a huuuuuge ask), how is he supposed to play an NFL season when he is the defendant in a lawsuit?

Hypothetically, let's say he's completely vindicated. 100%. How do we know that the way McBean treats their players, and the way they dealt with this that he wouldn't want to come back here.

extreme example: but unless theres proof this guy was in another country or this  girl came out and said it happened, but matt wasnt involved, i cant see us picking him back up even if we wanted... even if it was 95%... this guy will always be guilty in public eye no matter whats found. reporters will always bring it up and bring a LAMP headline anytime possible.

not at all saying the guy *IS* innocent, but just sucks as a society we work this way. Duke guys were cleared, would be curious to hear their stories. 

the flip side of this whole thing is false accusations happen too, and theyre no less worse than dudes like Watson getting away

(cant believe i have to continually post this, not commentating on his guilt or innocence, just society)

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Forlorn hope said:

I will never forget Bennett returning that blocked kick vs Denver in 90. Incredible athlete and player. 

I'm all for compartmentalizing what happens on the field versus off of it and I am also all about forgiving people who pay their assigned debt to society.

Just don't be a hypocrite like Nelius.

I haven't participated in the Araiza talk because I'm not offended if they choose to release a player with a serious charge against him while at the same time not presuming the player is guilty at all until he gets his day in court.     That's much too fair to everyone involved to advance discussion among the real housewives of TSW.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'll put this here, too, since people may be dead-threading the immense "lawsuit" thread.

LA times article on July 29.  Lawyer called Kathryn D'Angelo July 30 and sent follow up email (?with pics?) Aug 1

That sounds like a lot of detail mapping out the boulder field, including the detail that Gilleon is prepping a filing.

I love me some Beane, but his explanation does not entirely add up to me.

did Bean mean civil or criminal case?   Also unclear that Azzara would be named from that. 

2 hours ago, Nelius said:

People are apparently recoiling at the awful details, but yet you still have the handful of always contrarians that feel he, of all people, got a bad deal...

He may have gotten a bad deal. We just don't know yet. Ultimately this was still the right move for the Bills to make. We can't have a dark cloud hanging over the entire season because of our punter. I hope Araiza is able to get his name cleared and if he does I would welcome him back if he would be willing to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Posted this in the other thread.  Take from it what you will.  

This lawyer is a vile, pathetic human being and the last part of the statement makes absolutely no sense. 

Calling a lawyer vile and a pathetic human is very redundant. They already know, that’s why they’re lawyers.

I’m mostly kidding..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm all for compartmentalizing what happens on the field versus off of it and I am also all about forgiving people who pay their assigned debt to society.

Just don't be a hypocrite like Nelius.

I haven't participated in the Araiza talk because I'm not offended if they choose to release a player with a serious charge against him while at the same time not presuming the player is guilty at all until he gets his day in court.     That's much too fair to everyone involved to advance discussion among the real housewives of TSW.

At the end of the day it should all be compartmentalized. It's not real life, it's football

8 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Any chance this gets resolved in the future and we resign him?

He will most likely get signed by kc or the brownies in 48 hrs 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

But everything Beane said was about how MA needed time and space. 

He was saying the case itself needs time to develop. He wasn't saying Araiza is guilty or innocent. Just that it's best for him, and for the team, for the two to separate right now so Araiza cam focus on the case and the Bills can focus on football. He kept his statement as neutral as possible, as he should.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Heh.  Fair point.  They did stand by him initially with that "thorough investigation" team announcement, but they reversed course PDQ

I think either the investigation was total weak sauce OR McDermott wasn't fully in the loop with the details, and was genuinely horrified reading the lawsuit.  I think he said "I don't think we can have this on the team.  At the least, we have to separate him from the team while we review what we know and make a decision"

I still don’t understand why the Bills didn’t ask for a copy of the draft compliant.  Could have solved a lot of problems.  Or could have allowed them to say that Ps attorney sandbagged them.  

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Beane and McDermott did the expedient thing, which gets the media off Beane and McDermott's backs. It certainly is the best thing for them. 

I think it seemed pretty evident Fri night that the team as a whole was probably having trouble processing the allegations and dealing with it.  The shot of the team in the tunnel waiting to come out seemed subdued, the sideline seemed subdued, Keenum and Barkley seemed kind of shell-shocked.  As Barkley (I believe) said, "some of the things in that suit are hard to read and process"

I think Beane and McDermott did what they had to do for the mental health and focus of the team.

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I still don’t understand why the Bills didn’t ask for a copy of the draft compliant.  Could have solved a lot of problems.  Or could have allowed them to say that Ps attorney sandbagged them.  

That is, I guess, one thing that calling the attorney back could potentially have gotten them?  Although most of the details in the lawsuit came out in the LA Times on July 29th, just without Araiza's name attached.

46 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

did Bean mean civil or criminal case?   Also unclear that Azzara would be named from that. 

But it was clear Araiza was one of the players who would be named, once the plaintiff's lawyer called the Bills the following day.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.