McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I don't know the context to which you're referring, but her statement that Araiza participated in a gang rape damn sure is.  

Especially if it was said in front of witnesses while she was covered in blood and had bruises, as has been alleged 

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can't find an interview, but there were some tweets from Micah Hyde which rather implied that he had.  I wouldn't be surprised if allowing such a meeting might have been one reason why practice was delayed yesterday, and that perhaps meeting with the team after practice and before the presser was one reason the presser was delayed.

McDemott mentioned Hyde in the press conference, indicating he had an input in this manner.

Just now, SectionC3 said:

I don't know the context to which you're referring, but her statement that Araiza participated in a gang rape damn sure is.  

What is your overall point here?

They should have cut him the minute they heard something because the is evidence in the form of an allegation that was contained in neither a criminal nor a civil filing at the time?  Do you think the NFLPA might not have liked that?  Do you think the process for something like that is simple?  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's an allegation at this point.  One that wasn't even followed-up by the SDPD.  If Araiza wasn't involved with it, what information did you want him to provide?

Um....how do you know it was not followed up by the SDPD?  They sent their investigation to prosecutors August 5th.  It sounds comprehensive.

:

More than 20 investigative personnel worked on the case, resulting in nearly 200 hours of overtime, said police spokesperson Lt. Adam Sharki. Detectives obtained and executed 10 search warrants, interviewed multiple witnesses, examined physical evidence, and reviewed more than three terabytes of digital evidence, he added.

The "more than 3 terabytes of digital evidence" has a rather ominous ring to those involved, given the alleged victim's statement that she saw a light at times, as though someone were videoing or taking pictures.

When cases like this have been successfully prosecuted, it's because the doofuses involved created digital evidence, which police were able to recover and introduce at trial.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

What is your overall point here?

They should have cut him the minute they heard something because the is evidence in the form of an allegation that was contained in neither a criminal nor a civil filing at the time?  Do you think the NFLPA might not have liked that?  Do you think the process for something like that is simple?  

Actually my point was that I'm not sure about the context in which your kitten statement applies.  If you're asking whether it's evidence of a theft of kittens, I suppose it is.  The problem is, in that context, it's weak evidence. We don't know whether you owned kittens, and we don't know whether said kittens were stolen.  

In a different context, such as one that considers the issue whether you're out of your depth in this area, it's rather strong evidence.  

So context counts. 

18 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

He’s gotten national attention for his work thus far, elevating his status and his style of practicing law.  One could argue it all makes sense, and he’s doing exactly what he set out to do. 

is bad publicity suddenly good publicity in the legal field?  I think his style of rhetoric could cause his career to plummet not succeed. JMO

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's been about nine months and no charges though they have a girl who suppossidly was covered in blood and bruised. That's strange, I'd say.

They also have a girl who stated her memory of the events was incomplete because she was in and out of consciousness.  She couldn't even state definitively whether the bruises on her neck were from strangulation or hickies.

I believe those are hard cases to prosecute, and require that the detectives painstakingly work around the gap in credible victim testimony.  I'm not surprised that it's taken this long.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe they should employ psychics? People keep asking "why didn't they know?"

Two other teams figured out there was a problem with this guy.  If they didn't get it through psychic intervention, then we have work to do. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Two other teams figured out there was a problem with this guy.  If they didn't get it through psychic intervention, then we have work to do. 

There's no hard evidence of that. Just conjecture. Also no evidence of what was known.

2 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

All NFL teams have problems vetting college players. 

Well, I think part of McD's process philosophy is continuous improvement.

Regardless of what they said publicly, I would guess that they will also sit down and evaluate what they could have done to avoid this situation so that they can improve their screening process.

Again, the information available so far suggests that most teams were in the same boat as the Bills, but a few ones had a deeper understanding of Araiza's background.

I'm pretty sure that behind closed doors their approach won't be to the tune of "well, all teams have problems vetting players, let's move on".

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Actually my point was that I'm not sure about the context in which your kitten statement applies.  If you're asking whether it's evidence of a theft of kittens, I suppose it is.  The problem is, in that context, it's weak evidence. We don't know whether you owned kittens, and we don't know whether said kittens were stolen.  

In a different context, such as one that considers the issue whether you're out of your depth in this area, it's rather strong evidence.  

So context counts. 

The Bills decision and timing should be based on as much truth as they can find.  Your impression of what constitutes truth or your perception of how long it should take to find are utterly meaningless.  Sorry.

No organization operates to 100% efficiency….ever.  Im sure the Bills did not.  

There are people implying SDPD is corrupt in this matter.  The sad truth is that these cases take a long time to investigate and are difficult.  The timeline on this case isn’t unusual…..that doesn’t make it optimal.  Sure, maybe SDPD is covering up but it’s more likely that it was a difficult process.  One thing is for sure…..they would never and should never share the results of their objective analysis with a football team while the case is ongoing.  That left the Bills with two conflicting parties feeding them diametrically opposed information starting three weeks ago.  The accusing party had not taken any formal legal action whatsoever until two days ago.   If you think things were easy for the Bills, you’re living in a dreamworld.

Had to happen. Can't have that kind of drama hanging over the team. Media are like sharks, that's all they'd ask about. Keeping him around just continues the distraction and you can see it's already affected McDermott. Can't have it. Especially with the type of culture they're always preaching. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe they should employ psychics? People keep asking "why didn't they know?"

It's quite plausible to me what someone suggested, that perhaps the Bills weren't expecting to draft Araiza in the round where they had him slotted, so they didn't put much of their horsepower into vetting him. 

But it's not "psychic needed" levels of implausible to believe that some info was out there and able to be uncovered, because reportedly at least two teams DID uncover it (AP report, two primary sources needed)

There was an active police investigation.  Teams employ former LEOs to research whether there are any police actions against a prospect - maybe not the details, but the fact that there is an open investigation.  If the LA times is correct (and they are a paper that confirms primary sources), this was not a cursory investigation.  It involved 20 personnel.  That's enough people that it seems fairly likely an insider police source would be able to find out an investigation was ongoing and it involved members of the SDSU football team.

There were student reports last fall of a gang rape in an off campus house, involving 5 football players including "Matt", stating that the football team all knew and rumors were spreading throughout the athletic department. 

That is the sort of thing that area scouts, student-ish age assistants, and deep background investigators are employed to find out, and in fact per AP, at least two teams (who weren't interested in a punter) did uncover something.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The victim said she thinks someone was making a video of the rape. As soon as the police heard that ALL phones should have been seized with a warrant 

Agreed.  Maybe they were and maybe they were not.  The victim probably doesn’t know whether they were.  The SDPD is not going to share any of this with a football team.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.