McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

Maybe other teams knew and this was why 2 punters went ahead of him in the draft? Oh well. Absolutely needed to just move on. Hoping for the best for the girl involved in the situation and if it ends up being misinformation then it’s unfortunate there was job loss and reputation damage but this organization doesn’t need that risk.

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

For the Brand , yes they did.

For the team , heck no. We have no punter with 12 13 days to go on a national stage. We just drafted him. 

If social media didn't exist he'd 100% be playing. 

Everybody wants to act like they were never 20 years old at a college party and haven't made mistakes 

I've certainly made mistakes in my life.  Nothing of the likes of being involved with, tied to, or anywhere near a gang rape.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Can you catch me up to speed, I was not following this that closely 

Multiple witnesses said the victim was telling everyone she was 18 and alluding to attending a local college. Then there's no evidence Araiza had anything to do with events after their initial encounter. So, the detectives and DA have to piece all that together and find something worth a criminal conviction.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Multiple witnesses said the victim was telling everyone she was 18 and alluding to attending a local college. Then there's no evidence Araiza had anything to do with events after their initial encounter. So, the detectives and DA have to piece all that together and find something worth a criminal conviction.

So that makes her lawyers statement make more sense. They want him to talk and are pressuring him to tell what he knows 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So that makes her lawyers statement make more sense. They want him to talk and are pressuring him to tell what he knows 

Yeah, the lawyer is playing coy on social media saying all they wanted from him was an apology and a monetary donation to charities that support rape victims.

Essentially asking him to confess, lol. 

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, the lawyer is playing coy on social media saying all they wanted from him was an apology and a monetary donation to charities that support rape victims.

Or to tell what he knows about his teammates who may have attacked her. 

Why would somebody’s employer ever talk to the plaintiff’s lawyer in a civil suit?    It’s an employer’s job to pressure the police department to do it’s job against its own employee?  

Unless her lawyer sent the Bills an advance copy of the civil suit he just filed, I’m having a hard time seeing what the Bills were supposed to do here other than what they did.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

So far, the attorney has alleged the police are slow walking this, the DA is handling it politically, that the Bills are enablers of sexual assault for drafting a guy to kick footballs,  and now, that an Ariaza apology and donation for participating in this horrific incident involving gang assault and piercings being ripped out might have solved the problem for him and he might still be kicking for the Buffalo Enablers. 

Interesting. 

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

So far, the attorney has alleged the police are slow walking this, the DA is handling it politically, that the Bills are enablers of sexual assault for drafting a guy to kick footballs,  and now, that an Ariaza apology and donation for participating in this horrific incident involving gang assault and piercings being ripped out might have solved the problem for him and he might still be kicking for the Buffalo Enablers. 

Interesting. 

haha Interesting is one word for it.  I am shocked this guy had the smarts to pass the bar exam. He is acting the fool in full public view hermano.   it is not a good look.

Edited by muppy

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Interesting. 

Yeah, he makes no sense.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

In brackets. ALLEGEDLY. 200+ posts on on the other thread, 25 pages on this thread and still it's a case of guilty before being proven innocent.

What's the point? Complaining that mere allegations cost him his job?  We don't know that.  Could very well be because he was not forthcoming with his employers.  (And, I'll add, had all of this come out before the draft, he probably wouldn't have had this job and its tidy signing bonus in the first instance.)  Because P's attorney is putting the screws to him?  Don't need a finding of guilt by a jury of his peers to play hardball.  In point of fact, these tactics appear to be designed to facilitate that finding of guilt. 

We live in a capitalistic society that, in his instance, includes certain workplace protections that don't apply here.  He lost, and he was complicit in that loss.  That's life. On to the next thing for him, which, at this point, very well could include time with the California Department of Corrections.  

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why would somebody’s employer ever talk to the plaintiff’s lawyer in a civil suit?    It’s an employer’s job to pressure the police department to do it’s job against its own employee?  

Unless her lawyer sent the Bills an advance copy of the civil suit he just filed, I’m having a hard time seeing what the Bills were supposed to do here other than what they did.  

Maybe ask for the pleading.  And then, if you asked and don't get it, your GM and coach, instead of looking like idiots in the media, can say that they turned over every stone, asked for the complaint, couldn't get it, and were hamstrung.  

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

What's the point? Complaining that mere allegations cost him his job?  We don't know that.  Could very well be because he was not forthcoming with his employers.  (And, I'll add, had all of this come out before the draft, he probably wouldn't have had this job and its tidy signing bonus in the first instance.)  Because P's attorney is putting the screws to him?  Don't need a finding of guilt by a jury of his peers to play hardball.  In point of fact, these tactics appear to be designed to facilitate that finding of guilt. 

We live in a capitalistic society that, in his instance, includes certain workplace protections that don't apply here.  He lost, and he was complicit in that loss.  That's life. On to the next thing for him, which, at this point, very well could include time with the California Department of Corrections.  

The point is not to assume guilt before proven, just as aspersions should not be cast towards the victim either.

47 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Except for, you know, her allegation that Araiza participated in the second encounter.  Don't forget about that.  Kind of important, don't you think?

Just now, UKBillFan said:

The point is not to assume guilt before proven, just as aspersions should not be cast towards the victim either.

Nobody's doing that.  We save that for the criminal courts.  This issue has a lot more to do with optics and values and business.  He can talk up his constitutional rights with the DA.  (Or maybe he'll exercise them when he's deposed in this action.  Stay tuned on that one.)

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

For the Brand , yes they did.

For the team , heck no. We have no punter with 12 13 days to go on a national stage. We just drafted him. 

If social media didn't exist he'd 100% be playing. 

Everybody wants to act like they were never 20 years old at a college party and haven't made mistakes 

A "mistake" is something like "last night under the booze I hooked up with someone who is not attractive to sober me and is now pursuing me.  Dang! How'd I do with that?" or "Dammit I wore my Canada Goose instead of my Thrift Store last night, it's been stolen"

Ripping a girl's piercings out and leaving her bruised and bleeding is something else.  Even if Araiza didn't do that himself, if he had a part in setting it up or even in looking the other way while it went on, he's culpable to me.  Decent men ####-block rapists, they don't enable them.

All that aside, for the team, I think McDermott and Beane 100% did righto.  Part of claiming to build a high-character culture is that they've brought in high-character guys who (judging by Keenum and Barkley, and the whole team's demeanor Fri actually) were appalled by reading that lawsuit.  Having Araiza continue on the team, as their brother, in their locker room while this hung over his head and could neither be proven nor disproven was going to be incredibly distracting and divisive - to the team.

If this sort of "energy suck" kept up, it would disadvantage the team far more than missing some boomer punts (at the expense of hang time and directionality) will.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Except for, you know, her allegation that Araiza participated in the second encounter.  Don't forget about that.  Kind of important, don't you think?

Nobody's doing that.  We save that for the criminal courts.  This issue has a lot more to do with optics and values and business.  He can talk up his constitutional rights with the DA.  (Or maybe he'll exercise them when he's deposed in this action.  Stay tuned on that one.)

From a business angle, cutting him was the obvious decision. From a legal standpoint, he's currently innocent until proven guilty, no matter what an attorney, who seems to be losing the plot, posts on Twitter.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Maybe other teams knew and this was why 2 punters went ahead of him in the draft? Oh well. Absolutely needed to just move on. Hoping for the best for the girl involved in the situation and if it ends up being misinformation then it’s unfortunate there was job loss and reputation damage but this organization doesn’t need that risk.

Might have been a nice question for yesterday's presser.  As in, did you contact the teams who drafted punters ahead of you to see if they knew about this in advance of the draft. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.