McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The easy  path was to just release him. The hard path would have been to stand up to the cancel culture and wait for this to be settled in a court of law, not the court of public opinion. How fast would Bean released Josh if the accusations were pointed at him? How many here would be singing a different tune if it was? It should not be any different for the punter than from the qb. Everyone should be considered innocent until proven guilty. There has to be be a better way to deal with these situations.

Thi Bills were powerless to do anything, other than keeping him on the roster and being a major distraction. The solution is up to the NFL. I predict the NFL will bargain with the NFLPA for the power to discipline players for actions done prior to their NFL careers, and for actions occuring in pre-season practices too (see Aaron Donald).

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was his residence.   He's screwed!

"...A lawsuit filed in San Diego County Superior Court accused Araiza and two teammates of raping a then-17-year-old girl at a Halloween party at an off-campus home where Araiza had been living. A San Diego police investigation has been turned over to the district attorney’s office to determine whether to pursue charges. DA spokeswoman Tanya Sierra said Friday there was no timeline as to how long a decision will take. ..."

It's in dispute whether it was his residence or not.

His lawyer says it wasn't. But I'm not sure how much I trust "you better believe it" Kerry Armstrong. 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A jump?

Your avatar is a picture of rapist Cornelius Bennett.

Interesting reaction to finding out you are clueless.........don't shoot the messenger, Cornelius.

I will never forget Bennett returning that blocked kick vs Denver in 90. Incredible athlete and player. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

They called "double-digit teams" and asked them if they were aware of the accusations and none of them were. 

They were genuine with their answers and stressed that they always just wanted to do the right thing and not rush to judgement or make emotional decisions.

In hindsight I'm not sure what they could've done differently. They're football guys - not investigators or journalists.

A lot of people are forgetting that very fact. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Moral of Story for all incoming players. Do what your position can handle. 

obviously a Punter isn’t a position that is going to get a lot of rope from a team. 

Are you serious or is this sarcasm I can't tell. Im not okay with your comment here. How about not doing anything to cause you to be sued regardless of player position.  smh

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, djp14150 said:

This concept of innocent until proven guilty.

if you want toget rid of a coworker because you two appear to be the leaders fir a promotion…have someone make a claim against him then he gets removed and you win.  It does not matter if it’s actually true.

The problem if the co-worker makes up a crime, he or she faces liability for prosecution for lying to police. In the Araiza case, the woman will not be charged, unless her story is found to be a complete fabrication, which is unlikely.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

Thi Bills were powerless to do anything, other than keeping him on the roster and being a major distraction. The solution is up to the NFL. I predict the NFL will bargain with the NFLPA for the power to discipline players for actions done prior to their NFL careers, and for actions occuring in pre-season practices too (see Aaron Donald).

Good post, I see where your coming from and think you are correct.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yupper! His residence.   He just had sex and doesn't take care of her, in his residence.   That's bad.  He's got liability here. He doesn't know a pair of guys are committing rape in his residence! Wow!

I mean I can’t speak for everybody else but what happens in my house is my responsibility and I’ve had parties in my house and I’ve had to kick people out because I didn’t trust the way they were acting

• Agree 1

The buffalo bills are not the fbi or police department. All they can do as a corporate body is evaluate their legal vulnerability in these situations and the integrity in which people make those decisions given the situation. Arazia being innocent or guilty is a moot point from the bills point of view in a legal context.

I pray for this girl and imho I do believe something very dark has happened but the bills organization must move on. I hope the victim finds justice

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think that's a bit much he didn't play in the game that day and was cut the following day, not sure I'd call that standing by him.

Heh.  Fair point.  They did stand by him initially with that "thorough investigation" team announcement, but they reversed course PDQ

I think either the investigation was total weak sauce OR McDermott wasn't fully in the loop with the details, and was genuinely horrified reading the lawsuit.  I think he said "I don't think we can have this on the team.  At the least, we have to separate him from the team while we review what we know and make a decision"

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Heh.  Fair point.  They did stand by him initially with that "thorough investigation" team announcement, but they reversed course PDQ

I think either the investigation was total weak sauce OR McDermott wasn't fully in the loop with the details, and was genuinely horrified reading the lawsuit.  I think he said "I don't think we can have this on the team.  At the least, we have to separate him from the team while we review what we know and make a decision"

Beane said they were wrong to say that had conducted a thorough examination. That they should have said it was an ongoing examination.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

It sucks for Araiza, and it's totally unfair, but it's probably the right thing for the Bills.

And really let's say he was allowed to play as the investigation goes forward.  He has to try to play his best while dealing with that type of stress in his personal life.  It is entirely possible the Bills have told Araiza he will be welcomed back via PS onext the legal issues are resolved.   Until they get resolved there's no sense in signing him to the PS because that would just give the lawyers a media audience and that just makes everything worse.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Beane said they were wrong to say that had conducted a thorough examination. That they should have said it was an ongoing examination.

I have questions as to whether the Bills conducted any sort of examination including using Google for 5 minutes, or if they did, whether they actually shared a fair picture of the results, but I made that point elsewhere so, 'nuff said.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, chongli said:

The problem if the co-worker makes up a crime, he or she faces liability for prosecution for lying to police. In the Araiza case, the woman will not be charged, unless her story is found to be a complete fabrication, which is unlikely.

We already know that Araiza admitted they had sex. That part is not a fabrication. The details and particulars are a case of he said -she said and we will probably never really know. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I mean I can’t speak for everybody else but what happens in my house is my responsibility and I’ve had parties in my house and I’ve had to kick people out because I didn’t trust the way they were acting

When I was in college I lived in a three story house (former triplex) with 11 other guys. It was literally like Animal House. The guy on the 3rd floor in the front of the house threw a pony keg thru some glass he stole from the framing shop where he worked (he wasn’t stupid enough to break his own window) into the front yard. He failed to account for the cars parked in the front yard, specifically the one that ended up with a broken windshield. 

In houses that were more tame I’d maybe take a little responsibility, but I can’t control everything. It was college. 

Now? It’s our house and we are in charge. But I’m not a kid anymore. By any means or measure……..

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure one thing that weighed on the Bills is the fact that Araiza knew he had this skeleton in the closet and did not inform the Bills in the pre-draft process.  I'm sure the Bills asked him at some point in one form or another, Is there anything in your off field past that could become an embarrassment to you and the Bills should we draft you?"  Whether he is innocent or guilty, he was aware that accusations had been made before he was drafted, and he chose to remain silent.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.