McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im also sure some of the guys became friends with Araiza.  Tough to see that happen to someone if you know them personally and believe them.  

It is also possible that some guys befriended him, but after the accusations came out they did NOT believe him. It is totally possible for someone you know or like to commit a heinous crime.

I like their explanations. Everything they said makes sense. This is something that could drag on without a resolution for more than a year. You can't have a player on your team for that long playing in games like everything is normal. And I like how they said that Matt Araiza needs to focus on this and not on football. Makes sense.

Good on them for trying to do the right thing, not rushing to judgement, and trying to do what they can with the information they have. I do think they have a lot more information than we do. And I think they were far more transparent and honest than they even needed to be. Proud of Beane and McDermott. They are really good guys.

If Araiza turns out to be innocent, I hope the Bills are the first team in line to welcome him back. If he is guilty, may he rot in hell.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

It is also possible that some guys befriended him, but after the accusations came out they did NOT believe him. It is totally possible for someone you know or like to commit a heinous crime.

Sure, but I was responding to a post about Beane potentially worrying about locker room dissent/backlash. 

Under your premise, cutting him would lead to none.  

Based on Beane’s comments, it sounds like they don’t believe he’s guilty.   Now maybe they don’t know if he’s completely innocent either.. but that’s the read I get, and I’d bet many of the players likely feel the same. 

Edited by SCBills

20 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Great move. Had to be done. People are apparently recoiling at the awful details, but yet you still have the handful of always contrarians that feel he, of all people, got a bad deal...

You do realize that the player you glorify with your screen name......Cornelius Bennett.........was charged with rape, *****, sexual assault and unlawful imprisonment to boot.......plead it down to just anally raping the woman without her consent.            

But you think you are a voice of perspective on how to feel about a sexual assault claim?    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Any word from Vic's lawyer (not on Twitter)?

I think he only exists on Twitter. Not an expert there, but that’s how it seems. 

He’s probably bummed that there is no longer a big paycheck to go after. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Also none of us knows Araiza and there's not been any onslaught of character witnesses for or against his character.  I have no idea if he's always been a player with the girls as a star athlete he may have a sense of entitlement that led to his current situation.  By the same token the character of the accuser also must be investigated.  Any serious allegations require thorough vetting of the character of parties on both sides.

Edited by AuntieEm

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You do realize that the player you glorify with your screen name......Cornelius Bennett.........was charged with rape, *****, sexual assault and unlawful imprisonment to boot.......plead it down to just anally raping the woman without her consent.            

But you think you are a voice of perspective on how to feel about a sexual assault claim?    

Not to get too far off track, but this is why I buy Bills gear but own zero jerseys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I think he only exists on Twitter. Not an expert there, but that’s how it seems. 

What did he think was gonna happen.  He's not ***** -ing with the Cowboys,  scuzzy Browns, Pats*, Raiders or Fins!

Mess with the Bills, get the evangelical horns! Probably why they told Vic's lawyer to ***** off 3 weeks ago and then he withdrew his extortion offer!

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's actually also my name but hey heck of a jump. I'll change the pic if it bothers you that much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, rpmfla said:

Beane stated several times that they were letting Matt go because they "thought it was best for Matt"...not once stating that they were doing what was best for the Bills organization. While I have always liked and respected Beane from what little I've seen and heard, that seems at the very least an obviously disingenuous statement.

Totally Disagree.

Beane and McD stated they were releasing Matt because it was best for him to focus on this case.  Beane especially pointed out a couple of times that this was bigger than an wins - Matt needs to focus on himself.

Beane also stated the reputation/culture the team is building is bigger than wins or losses on the field.

He in essence says this decision is about our culture and that is paramount to Sean and I.  At the same time - as McD stated last night - some things are bigger than the game and right now Matt needs to focus on that.  This is more than his livelihood and career - this is Matt’s life and freedom and if he is innocent as he states - he needs to defend himself and focus on that. 

If he is guilty - then he needs to be punished and in either case - he is better off focusing on himself until this is settled.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

He had to of known that by filing the suit and then going bonkers ridiculous on Twitter that he wasn’t going to be for long with an NFL punter to go after. 

• Agree 1

Wawrow's story a bit more critical in tone:

https://apnews.com/article/buffalo-bills-nfl-sports-lawsuits-football-9fac9edf3951eced03da159485c340e4

I can't say he's unfair.

In the face of a major public backlash and internal questions over the decision to award Matt Araiza the punting job, the Buffalo Bills reversed course by cutting the rookie on Saturday, two days after a lawsuit was filed alleging the player and two college teammates gang-raped a teenager last fall.

“The last 48 hours have been very difficult for a lot of people. It’s been tough. And you know, we sympathize with this whole situation, all the parties involved, this young woman, what she went through,” general manager Brandon Beane said during a 26-minute news conference alongside coach Sean McDermott.

“But at this time, we just think it’s the best move for everyone to move on from Matt and let him take care of this situation and focus on that. So, we’re gonna part ways there,” Beane added.

Beane said the Bills were not aware of the allegations made against Araiza at the time they drafted him. And had they known, Beane said, they would have removed him from consideration.

The decision to cut ties with their sixth-round draft pick out of San Diego State comes after Buffalo cleared the way for Araiza to take over the punting duties by releasing returning veteran Matt Haack on Monday.

The Bills opted then to keep Araiza even while being aware of the allegations made against him since late July. The team then stood by the player by announcing it “conducted a thorough examination” into the matter a day after the lawsuit was filed.

Asked about the decision to cut Haack, who subsequently was picked up by the Indianapolis Colts, Beane said:

“That’s a tough one. You can second guess whether that was the right move. We’ll definitely look at that going forward if this situation or a similar situation happens.”

Beane said the team did as much as it could in getting as many details as possible, while noting many of the allegations were unavailable because the results of the San Diego police investigation has not been released. He said the team decided not to “rush to judgment” based on the information it had, while noting Araiza never changed his version of what happened.

“You want to give everyone as much due process as you can. Again, we’re not a judge and a jury,” Beane said.

McDermott then interjected by saying the team did consider the victim’s version of events as contained in the lawsuit.

“We did take those very seriously. I want everyone to understand that. That’s a serious deal right there,” McDermott said.

Araiza’s release begins to ease a crisis which has shaken the team as reflected by McDermott having difficulty containing his emotions while discussing the situation following a 21-0 preseason loss at Carolina on Friday night.

In Buffalo, the focus shifts to why the Bills weren’t aware of the allegations against Araiza when selecting the San Diego State player in the sixth round of the draft in April. Though he was college football’s top punter last year, and earned the nickname “Punt God” because of a booming left leg, Araiza was the third punter selected in the draft.

This is from an earlier AP article and Beane has since clarified when the Bills became aware

It’s unclear whether Araiza informed the NFL about the allegations in the months leading up to the draft.

Executives from two different teams told The Associated Press they became aware of Araiza’s involvement in an incident during the draft process, but neither person knew the extent of the allegations. Executives from three other teams said they had no knowledge of the allegations against Araiza before the draft and only learned of the incident Thursday. All the people spoke to The AP on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Though it’s unclear when the Bills first became aware of the allegations, they knew by the end of July when Dan Gilleon, the lawyer representing the alleged victim identified in the lawsuit as “Jane Doe,” contacted the team’s legal counsel, Kathryn D’Angelo, by email.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Actually, he got his client what she wanted. She said last month she's not in it for the money and that she doesn't want MA to make money in the NFL. 

It was Araiza's attorney that reached out and offered for a cash settlement first. Her attorney said no settlement. It was Araiza's attorney that warned not to force the Bills hand to cut him bc they're be no money to get. 

They want public, said it wasn't about money. Now he's cut and won't get his salary. The claim that it's a cash grab holds little water. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.