McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

i think we have one of the most funny pro sports twitters.... but wtf are we doing here?!?! no picture, especially not in our jersey. your choices were stick by him, or distance. they chose distancing, and then use a picture. unreal. roll heads over there, idgaf

I took Beane as being in his corner and McD as not. 

Beane could have said “If Matt is innocent he needs time to manage this. If Matt is guilty he can’t be apart of this organization”.

But everything Beane said was about how MA needed time and space. 

6 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

IDK.   The details included in the civil suit that dropped Friday appear to be entirely new 'information' to the Bills and likely even MA (and who knows, maybe even the police).   

It's one thing for the plaintiff's lawyer to say, "we're going to sue you" in July but another to lay out their version of events in the civil suit (which, as the lawyer himself said, was intended to be as shocking as possible to motivate the police to file a criminal charge).   No one had those details before Friday, so how could the Bills have done a 'piss poor job' of evaluating the situation?

I mean - there is.a police complaint by the girl registered last year when the event occurred!   And two teams by-passed him in the draft in April when he was considered the Best punter coming out of college.

Edited by ganesh
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

The argument that this now shows Bills players that management doesn't have their back may truly be the dumbest thing I've read all week.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the takeaway. I can almost guarantee that veterans who aren't rapists aren't second guessing leadership because of a rookie who at minimum made some absolutely terrible decisions. I wouldn't doubt if some are relieved that they don't have to deal with this distraction.

Didn't Barkley actually say on the podium that some of that was "very hard to read"?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane stated several times that they were letting Matt go because they "thought it was best for Matt"...not once stating that they were doing what was best for the Bills organization. While I have always liked and respected Beane from what little I've seen and heard, that seems at the very least an obviously disingenuous statement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

I mean - there is.a police complaint by the girl registered last year when the event occurred!

Is that public information in any way at this point?

Just now, rpmfla said:

Beane stated several times that they were letting Matt go because they "thought it was best for Matt"...not once stating that they were doing what was best for the Bills organization. While I have always liked and respected Beane from what little I've seen and heard, that seems at the very least an obviously disingenuous statement.

Agree

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, rpmfla said:

I took noticed of this too. It really rubbed me the wrong way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

The argument that this now shows Bills players that management doesn't have their back may truly be the dumbest thing I've read all week.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the takeaway. I can almost guarantee that veterans who aren't rapists aren't second guessing leadership because of a rookie who at minimum made some absolutely terrible decisions. I wouldn't doubt if some are relieved that they don't have to deal with this distraction.

well put

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Either it was the right thing to support him against an allegation without compelling evidence, or it was the right thing to dismiss him for an allegation with compelling evidence. One of those is the case. Considering that actual Law Enforcement has not found enough evidence to believe any of the civil allegations are chargeable since freaking October, I'm dubious about the latter.

Right now, who knows what the evidence of the matter is? There is apparently the one 11-page allegation. One source. This argument that "if he clears his name once we find out what happens, then we will welcome him back" is risible. The Bills should hope and hard as they can that this is not the case, because otherwise management has just served notice to 53 players that the organization does not have their back if someone spuriously accuses them of x-y-z.

The "season is too important" "distraction" canard is for knaves who either won't do the right thing or just don't know what it is.

There is easily a ton of middle ground.  They can support him and recognize at this time the most important thing for Matt if he is truly innocent is to step away from the game and work with his lawyers on his defense.

If he stays on the team - there is potential interference to his practice ability along with the team distractions.

If you take Beane at his word (and I do within reason) - this was discussed with Matt early on and Matt understood the decision and they parted.

Maybe if Matt clears this up and is acquitted- his respect would allow him to return - we will see.

It could also be just fine to release him with less than compelling evidence- because there is now a case he has to defend himself in.  

Based upon McD yesterday and Beane today - I think there are still a lot of gaps in what evidence is available and what is true.  I think the Bills Brass feel it is in Matt’s best interest to defend himself and in the Bills best interest to find a stable replacement before other things interfere at horrible times.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I took Beane as being in his corner and McD as not. 

Beane could have said “If Matt is innocent he needs time to manage this. If Matt is guilty he can’t be apart of this organization”.

But everything Beane said was about how MA needed time and space. 

I took Beane as letting everyone know this is the last time we are going to discuss this.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

I mean - there is.a police complaint by the girl registered last year when the event occurred!   And two teams by-passed him in the draft in April when he was considered the Best punter coming out of college.

The police have not charged him--in fact, they only finished their investigation this week and sent the results to the DA.   So, no police 'complaint' exists as of yet. 

And he was never considered the best punter coming out of college.   He had the best marketing buzz but there was no consensus that he was better than Stoudt of Penn State (who got picked in the 4th round).

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, rpmfla said:

It obviously is disingenuous, as it should be..  He’s not going to say “we cut him because failed modernity has forced our hand.”  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm just trying to keep things accurate. People think he was criminally charged. He was sued.

He has a pending/open criminal investigation for rape in which he is named a suspect. 

In the interest of accuracy. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, rpmfla said:

Agreed.  This is a first PR misstep by Beane.   Are they really afraid that the players will revolt against the management for this action? 

Beane made a fair comment that the information was sealed and not available to them during the draft -  Fair enough.

However, they came to know about it on July 31st.  They have ignored such a serious thing and waiting 25 days for the bomb of the civil suit to come out before they took action.   This puts them in poor light on such a decision making, especially with a woman owner to whom they were reporting. 

And now, finally, if they had come out saying that the "Bills Image" was more important for the Owners, Coaches, Players and Staff then the Bills would have come out as an organization that cares.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

9 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Agreed.  If anything they reinforced that they had the backs of everyone else in the locker room by dealing with this one individual - cutting him loose for the benefit of the team

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

I took Beane as letting everyone know this is the last time we are going to discuss this.

I have not seen it yet, but this would be the approach I would hope for. This will NOT drag on, it is now history. Let’s learn from the past, but let’s all look forward. We have a season to play. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, hemma said:

I was wondering if he walked with enough to help his parents with the legal bills.

I bet there will be a stack.

I was thinking the same thing.  Both lawyers, Matt’s parents, her, and Matt all have a very different monetary perspective at the moment.  An outcome all should have seen coming when those 11 pages hit the street.  

11 minutes ago, rpmfla said:

Only thing that struck wrong. He just have said "what was best for all parties."

Not sure why he kept putting it that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.