McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

Sorry for the kid… Sorrier for the girl… Sorry for their families and friends and his Bills teammates… Just a sorry situation…

Full of lessons for other young people… and other sports teams… and their managements…

Beane and McDermott made the right decision and struck the right tone in their pressers… Impressive men…

Beane has plenty to consider in a post mortem review of how this unfolded… 

Back to football…

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I got the opposite. Beane wouldn't answer when asked if MA with held info, but inadvertently confirmed that he had.

Beane said they didn't know anything during the draft, and that Araiza's agent knew nothing. But Araiza had been investigated by the police prior to the draft, and allegations were made against him on campus at SD State. 

So Araiza failed to disclose during the pre-draft process to the Bills or his agent. 

Is this the case of the scouts (or the Bills internal investigations team) doing a piss poor job of NOT knowing of a police complaint against the player ?   I think these are the folks who need to be fired for putting this franchise in this position.   And if they did know about it and put it under the mat, Kim should be personally firing them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Quite possibly another team may not view it as that much of a distraction. It’s the NFL after all. I agree the position isn’t way up in the hierarchy. 

If he comes to a settlement and DA doesn't prosecute then he could get picked up later in the year, but until that is resolved, not team can touch him without getting a nuclear meltdown of PR. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Sorry for the kid… Sorrier for the girl… Sorry for their families and friends and his Bills teammates… Just a sorry situation…

Full of lessons for other young people… and other sports teams… and their managements…

Beane and McDermott made the right decision and struck the right tone in their pressers… Impressive men…

Back to football…

Well said.  If you look at the whole situation and wanted to do the "Cliff Notes" you nailed it.

• Agree 3

Just now, Warcodered said:

I still think that'd be a PR shitstorm.

Its unfair, but he needs something that explicitly shows his innocence.  

Post-Watson, he got hit with about the worst allegation that could ever be leveled at someone in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Believer said:

Back to football…

>  Beane has plenty to consider in a post mortem review of how this unfolded… 

Well put.  This is a black mark on Beane and his team.  They missed on a basic red flag.    San Diego State is not a tiny college in some no-man borough

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I’ll simply say that I think the Bills did the right thing.

Removing “right and wrong” and the ethics of the situation and simply looking at this from a football and business standpoint…the distraction, PR nightmare, and hit to the team culture and reputation were simply not worth it.

The Bills simply could not afford to roster this player — and all of the distraction that that entails — while the legal process played out over a series of weeks or months.

I, personally, am relieved that I don’t have to cheer for a man who even MAY have committed such a heinous act.

I think the Bills showed sound judgement and made the only logical decision they could make at this point.

Here’s hoping for justice to be served in this civil case, whatever that may mean, and for peace for the (alleged) victim and her family.

Back to football. On to the Rams.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

>  Beane has plenty to consider in a post mortem review of how this unfolded… 

Well put.  This is a black mark on Beane and his team.  They missed on a basic red flag.    San Diego State is not a tiny college in some no-man borough

A quote I always liked.

image.png.b072e137ce24dbac0cde0385aeff84f4.png

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Is this the case of the scouts (or the Bills internal investigations team) doing a piss poor job of NOT knowing of a police complaint against the player ?   I think these are the folks who need to be fired for putting this franchise in this position.   And if they did know about it and put it under the mat, Kim should be personally firing them

IDK.   The details included in the civil suit that dropped Friday appear to be entirely new 'information' to the Bills and likely even MA (and who knows, maybe even the police).   

It's one thing for the plaintiff's lawyer to say, "we're going to sue you" in July but another to lay out their version of events in the civil suit (which, as the lawyer himself said, was intended to be as shocking as possible to motivate the police to file a criminal charge).   No one had those details before Friday, so how could the Bills have done a 'piss poor job' of evaluating the situation?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

I’ll simply say that I think the Bills did the right thing.

Removing “right and wrong” and the ethics of the situation and simply looking at this from a football and business standpoint…the distraction, PR nightmare, and hit to the team culture and reputation were simply not worth it.

The Bills simply could not afford to roster this player — and all of the distraction that that entails — while the legal process played out over a series of weeks or months.

I, personally, am relieved that I don’t have to cheer for a man who even MAY have committed such a heinous act.

I think the Bills showed sound judgement and made the only logical de idiot they could make at this point.

Here’s hoping for justice to be served in this case, whatever that may mean, and for peace for the (alleged) victim and her family.

Back to football. On to the Rams.

Fair.

Hope other young athletes are watching how a career gets derailed!

Mark Gaughn wrote a pretty good article

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-release-punter-matt-araiza-after-rape-allegations-in-civil-suit/article_2a696b94-2648-11ed-8873-afd9d1a64e51.html

Might be paywalled

Some fairly clear info on timeline:

Beane said the team did not know about allegations when it picked Araiza in the sixth round of the NFL draft in late April.

“We did not know about this, and the league did not know about this,” Beane said. “We’ve reached out to I can tell you double-digit teams at this point, and no one had anything on this. These names were sealed, wherever the investigation was at that point. Yes, if we had this, and we get things like this from guys, you know how important the character and the culture is to Sean (McDermott) and me. And anything that would have been lingering, (Araiza) would have been off our board.”

Beane said the team did not find out about the allegations until late July. The attorney for the alleged victim in the case, Daniel Gilleon, spoke with Kathryn D’Angelo, the Bills’ assistant general counsel, on July 31.

Asked if the release of the 11-page civil suit brought to light details he wasn’t aware of, Beane said:

“Well, they were accusations,” Beane said. “It just clarified exactly what they were. And at that point, it's a real civil case. It's not a, this may happen. It's something that you have to respond to, and at this point we're not the judge and jury.”

“I would say we had the boulders of what was going to be accused or alleged. But at that point, it wasn't an actual case. And there was, one of the things you look at is, where is this criminally? That’s what you're trying to find out. And so, we were just, again, trying to look at everything. (Any) one of those things on there, if true, would be a no go for us. You know what I mean? So we didn't need all that. We just needed to try and put as many facts together as we could in a limited amount of time.”

The Bills released a statement Thursday saying, in part, “Due to the serious nature of the complaint, we conducted a thorough examination of this matter.”

Beane acknowledged: “I mean, as thorough as we can be with what we were able to get our hands on. We probably should have said ongoing. It wasn’t completed. We don’t have a lot of things right now, we really don’t. This is very serious.”

39 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

And there are posters here who actually believe that the Bills should have stood behind this individual of questionable character who represents a swirling cloud of distraction?

The argument that this now shows Bills players that management doesn't have their back may truly be the dumbest thing I've read all week.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the takeaway. I can almost guarantee that veterans who aren't rapists aren't second guessing leadership because of a rookie who at minimum made some absolutely terrible decisions. I wouldn't doubt if some are relieved that they don't have to deal with this distraction.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Malazan said:

If he comes to a settlement and DA doesn't prosecute then he could get picked up later in the year, but until that is resolved, not team can touch him without getting a nuclear meltdown of PR. 

Agree.  The optics of the accusations are very very bad.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.