McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

A civil lawsuit was filed only 48-hours ago and Ariza's had little or no opportunity to respond.  (In the legal system, he's got 30 days to respond to the complaint.)  Although the allegations are horrifying, the "evidence" against him that's been produced so far is not very convincing.   

I understand that completely. For me, it's pretty telling that no criminal charges have been filed. Obviously, the San Diego DA must have felt like the burden of proof wasn't there. However, the burden of proof is much less restrictive in a civil case. We probably will never know if he did it or not. Certainly false allegations do happen but it seems to be more the exception than the norm. At least in my unofficial head. 

With that said, I 100% think the Bills organization did the right thing. This allegations should be taken seriously. The Bills have not pre judged Ariza. They merely stated this is bigger than football and he needs to address his legal issues. The Bills are a high character team, seemingly close knit, and a huge sense of team and togetherness. Ariza would be a distraction to the team and more importantly what massage would this send to people? 

If Ariza is vindicated he will have another opportunity to play. In fact, any other team is free to pick him up now. 

I give a lot of credit for the front office to making a quick, clear, and concise decision. 

• Like (+1) 3

Watching the press conference...god I hate sleezy reporters.  They are asking Beane such stupid questions.  They are just trying to get a click bait sound bite, its disgusting.  Going out of their to just try and make them look bad and look for the shock and awe moments they can create.  F THEM

Thank god we have Beane and McD who don't bite and are as a class act as they get.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, pennstate10 said:

He was dishonest with the Bills?

Is there any evidence to support this statement or are you simply making ish up?

Bills stated they had conversation with him after the civil suit was filed, information they did have before. A document 11 pages long and Beane's reaction was he had no idea how Coach McD could coach.

They did not just let him go due to civil suit.  Other players have had civil suits 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

i think we have one of the most funny pro sports twitters.... but wtf are we doing here?!?! no picture, especially not in our jersey. your choices were stick by him, or distance. they chose distancing, and then use a picture. unreal. roll heads over there, idgaf

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, chongli said:

Did Buffalo's reputation take a hit? If so, will it soon be forgotten? It took the Patriots longer to release Aaron Hernandez, and their reputation did not really suffer.

Also, shouldn't have Houston done the same thing (release) Deshaun Watson??

Just wondering.

I think not. I think it’s clear that this team and this locker room hates MA.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

He was dishonest with the Bills?

Is there any evidence to support this statement or are you simply making ish up?

I wondered this, but after the Beane/McD conference, I got the feeling that MAs been transparent with them. It might be determined that he wasn't.

Edited by Pokebball

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Watching the press conference...god I hate stupid reporters.  They are asking Beane such stupid questions.  They are just trying to get a click bait sound bite, its disgusting.  

Thank god we have Beane and McD who don't bite and are as a class act as they get.

I didn't see this press conference but yesterday's reporters at the McDermott press conference did a great job.

• Vomit 3
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Watching the press conference...god I hate sleezy reporters.  They are asking Beane such stupid questions.  They are just trying to get a click bait sound bite, its disgusting.  Going out of their to just try and make them look bad and look for the shock and awe moments they can create.  F THEM

If only they were this nasty trying to get answers about the 13 second debacle 

• Eyeroll 3

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

It would take away any unsavory remnant the Bills organization is left with by drafting him.

In that case, I agree!  Let's hope some stupid team picks him up.

I was saying the opposite.   I hope nobody picks him up. When he's vindicated... We will look stupid for not having his back.

Anyway, hope he's not vindicated now!

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Bills go weak and cave. Disappointing but inevitable.

You haven’t changed a bit since the old BBMB days, you didn’t get it then, and you don’t get it now…, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I get that part. But releasing him may have been more about the Bills investigation in July, followed by new information just days ago. I'm sure they sat down with Araize in July and discussed it. If they said, "Matt, we've looked in to this carefully and have done X, Y and Z, is there anything else we need to know?" If he withheld anything that came out days ago, that alone is enough to part ways. It's about trust and confidence. It may not have happened that way, but it's definitely a possibility. 

I concur. Hopefully this is close to what happened. If Araiza was not forthcoming or gave false information they absolutely should have released him. I just hope that they didn’t cave to the media mob. They haven’t given me any reason yet to doubt their standards, so all I can do as a fan is trust that the decision was made for this or a similar reason. I’d be very disappointed otherwise. 

You work for a long time (in my case, 27 years, in tech), and you realize that companies are slow to respond to *****.  No matter how prosperous tech, no matter how prosperous the NFL, but when people step out of line, in any sense, in industries where there is massive competition for talent, you are totally ***** as an employee -- with the slightest suggestion of impropriety.  All an employer needs is enough ammo to cut you loose, and they will.

This is not an implicit/explicit suggestion that what took place with this is/was fine.  It's not.  Before I started dating my wife 17 years ago, or before we got married almost 15 years ago, the number of women I'd dated -- who were honest about having been raped -- was really, and sadly, off the charts.  Whether or not this player did it is irrelevant.  All that stands true is that being raped ***** women up, and as I think about my past dating history, this is a real thing.  I'm glad that this young woman came forward, as so many don't.

My only surprise is that it took the Bills so long, in particular after they had an "investigation", and kinda left McD out to dry in his presser yesterday night.

I'm glad that they let this guy go.  I really am.  Innocent until proven guilty is not how employment works.  They find a reason to let you go, and they will.  End of story.

A few weeks from now, when this player ends up in Washington, all will be forgotten.

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t have any issues with anything the bills did in this situation.   They are fishing for something that is not there 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.