McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

A civil lawsuit was filed only 48-hours ago and Ariza's had little or no opportunity to respond.  (In the legal system, he's got 30 days to respond to the complaint.)  Although the allegations are horrifying, the "evidence" against him that's been produced so far is not very convincing.   

I get that part. But releasing him may have been more about the Bills investigation in July, followed by new information just days ago. I'm sure they sat down with Araize in July and discussed it. If they said, "Matt, we've looked in to this carefully and have done X, Y and Z, is there anything else we need to know?" If he withheld anything that came out days ago, that alone is enough to part ways. It's about trust and confidence. It may not have happened that way, but it's definitely a possibility. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Fleezoid said:

I get that part. But releasing him may have been more about the Bills investigation in July, followed by new information just days ago. I'm sure they sat down with Araize in July and discussed it. If they said, "Matt, we've looked in to this carefully and have done X, Y and Z, is there anything else we need to know?" If he withheld anything that came out days ago, that alone is enough to part ways. It's about trust and confidence. It may not have happened that way, but it's definitely a possibility. 

OR... The mob cracked the Bills.

Did Buffalo's reputation take a hit? If so, will it soon be forgotten? It took the Patriots longer to release Aaron Hernandez, and their reputation did not really suffer.

Also, shouldn't have Houston done the same thing (release) Deshaun Watson??

Just wondering.

Edited by chongli

3 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Bills should've stuck to their guns. This release is going to haunt Beane forever if he ends up signing elsewhere. Probably a once-in-a-lifetime talent released due to social and media pressure.

Sad day. You don't throw family to the side like that. But that's just me.

Beane can not be haunted by any decision he makes, that’s why he is the MAN. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have to ask again for all the fans who don't like MA's release.

Who is willing to bet another team picks him up on waivers?

The Raiders.  😆  Fins.  What odds you giving? 😉 

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Did Buffalo's reputation take a hit? If so, will it soon be forgotten? It took the Patriots longer to release Aaron Hernandez, and their reputation did not really suffer.

Just wondering.

NO!  Actually Bills reputation is bolstered!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The legal processes will work out in regard to the civil and no doubt criminal aspects of this case.

That being said, for all the Buffalo Bills fans that don't agree with the releasing of MA I only have one thing to say.

All 31 other NFL teams have a chance to claim MA off waivers or sign after as a FA if no one picks him up tomorrow.

Will the other 31 teams temper your opinion of the Bills if no one puts him on their roster?

He was a distraction to the team.  Its that simple.  He had no clout to stay any longer when he was going to be a distraction as a rookie punter. 

Who doesn't agree with him being cut?  The guy is being sued for taking part in a gang rape of a 17 year old girl at an off campus college party.  To be associated with that in any form or fashion is terrible.  The Bills are a professional sports team in the national and international public eye.  They can't have their players connected with this in the slightest.  This isn't a bar fight or even a DUI.  This is bad *****.  We all know that.  The Bills did not do their homework on Araiza.  Got to talk to people on campus about the guy-coaches, teammates, other students, figure out the vibe on this guy.  People talk about others all the time.  This was not some secret.  But you live and learn.  Lets move forward and be the best team we can be.  That's all that matters now.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The team apparently let him go because he was dishonest with them.  Many employers will do that. 

Like the one down by Texans' QB (After the civil lawsuit was filed he was suspended by commissioner).

He was dishonest with the Bills?

Is there any evidence to support this statement or are you simply making ish up?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Mij yllek said:

so much for innocent until proven guilty

I can tell you there are many jobs that will let you go over legal situations before you are convicted. 

Surprising it isn't the commissioners list or something of that, but I guess they wanted the situation away from the team. 

13 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Hopefully the team moves past this rather fast and gets back to focusing on the season. I have no doubt it’s like a gray cloud hanging over them right now, they just lost a teammate and it wasn’t due to his on the field performance. As far as Araiza, at the very least he’s an idiot for putting himself in a situation where he could be accused. I’ll be interested to see how it all plays out and if Araiza is found to be completely innocent of all rape related charges, I cannot fault the Bills for cutting ties. Too much of a distraction.

On your first point, I appreciate what you are saying, but I honestly believe the tone in the locker room is more likely relief/gladness that the teammate is gone and all the craziness that went with it - I think the skies are more blue than grey now

• Like (+1) 2

Just figures the first time I'm excited about a punter it goes down in a billsy way. 

If any fan base has some karma to spend it had to be us. One of these days we will get a SB.

Hope the allegations re not true but it sounds bad.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

Just wondering.

I don't think the Bill's reputation took any hit. I think Bean's decision will be respected by most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.