McDermott/Beane press conference 8/27: Matt Araiza released

YoloinOhio

The legal processes will work out in regard to the civil and no doubt criminal aspects of this case.

That being said, for all the Buffalo Bills fans that don't agree with the releasing of MA I only have one thing to say.

All 31 other NFL teams have a chance to claim MA off waivers or sign after as a FA if no one picks him up tomorrow.

Will the other 31 teams temper your opinion of the Bills if no one puts him on their roster?

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

There is no comparison for sure in terms of the organizations class.

But we are talking about a rookie punter vs a a pro bowl QB haha.

A lot easier to get rid of the rookie punter.

(I'm not saying what the browns did is right by trading/signing Watson )

On the flipside, the Browns fully knew of the allegations against Watson, & still decided to trade a massive amount of capital & award him a record breaking contract.

The Bills on the other hand, either didn't know at all or knew very little, and only used a 6th round pick on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

A civil lawsuit was filed only 48-hours ago and Ariza's had little or no opportunity to respond.  (In the legal system, he's got 30 days to respond to the complaint.)  Although the allegations are horrifying, the "evidence" against him that's been produced so far is not very convincing.   

Great! So when he clears his name, we’ll welcome him back with open arms. Or another team will. OR, any other team can pick him up.  They can do that right this second as a matter of fact. Since the Bills treated him so unfairly here, there should be a line of NFL GMs at his door right now.  You have to be good with that, right? 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

Just now, Behindenemylines said:

It may have as much to do with all of the other factors as much as the facts or lack thereof.  

Best for the team.  And if it’s proven he is innocent then he can rebuild and move on. It’s not exactly like he was just a stranger caught up in something based on the initial evidence.  He was in the situation to a degree. 

And how do you have this guy interact with the team in any way while this whole situation is being sorted through?

It’s best for Matt and the team for him to deal with this on his own.  Matt seems confident that he’ll be able to exonerate himself.  Time and the facts will tell.  

Amazing the highs and lows a punter has caused in only a few months.

9 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

This concept of innocent until proven guilty.

if you want toget rid of a coworker because you two appear to be the leaders fir a promotion…have someone make a claim against him then he gets removed and you win.  It does not matter if it’s actually true.

The team investigated this. They are not basing it off of the accusation alone. But they are not burdened with the requirement of “beyond a reasonable doubt”.  If they think there is even a chance that it is true, they are smart to move on.  

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully the team moves past this rather fast and gets back to focusing on the season. I have no doubt it’s like a gray cloud hanging over them right now, they just lost a teammate and it wasn’t due to his on the field performance. As far as Araiza, at the very least he’s an idiot for putting himself in a situation where he could be accused. I’ll be interested to see how it all plays out and if Araiza is found to be completely innocent of all rape related charges, I cannot fault the Bills for cutting ties. Too much of a distraction.

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

And how do you have this guy interact with the team in any way while this whole situation is being sorted through?

It’s best for Matt and the team for him to deal with this on his own.  Matt seems confident that he’ll be able to exonerate himself.  Time and the facts will tell.  

Exactly what I’m saying. Best for him to be off the team so he can deal with his issues.  It protects the team and gives him space.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

This concept of innocent until proven guilty.

if you want toget rid of a coworker because you two appear to be the leaders fir a promotion…have someone make a claim against him then he gets removed and you win.  It does not matter if it’s actually true.

Terrible comparison. Just like. Comically off base.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

A victory for emotion over reason. Would rather have seen a balanced approach from the team, league, and society. Welcome to 2022 I guess..

I wonder how the rest of the NFL feels about anyone with an ax to grind and a sleazy lawyer being able to turn the outcomes of games, seasons, careers, with well timed Twitter ambushes. Is it too much to wonder, with the amount of wagering that is constantly being promoted, that where the sums are great and the margins are thin that anything becomes fair game?

So, who do you think is going to sign Araiza?

He has to be worth it to some team, right?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I would rather have a NFL Commissioner's Suspension but I guess that is just for NFL starting QBs.

3 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

A sad day in Bills history. Best of luck to you Araiza. Smh

You wanted the Bills, a team expected to compete for a Super Bowl, to die on this hill for a 6th round rookie punter accused of something THIS heinous (therefore leading to months of headlines, boycotts, backlash & fan anger each day he's on the team)?

Pretty stupid hill to die on when you have much more important things to worry about. Should probably be wishing good luck to the victim.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm just wondering why didn't he pay a settlement and have her sign an NDA to make it go away? Why did he take the phone call from her after the fact?

If he was guilty, wouldn't he pay to get her under NDA and not take a phone call from her? Anyone wonder if the Bills legal dept was pushing for an NDA and he said I'm not guilty and not paying for something I didn't do? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.