McKenzie hurt

Dablitzkrieg

My question is then: do the Rams play a more zone or man-heavy coverage scheme?

I know Ramsey is a beast in press man. But do they sprinkle in a healthy mix around that?

We all know McKenzie has flashed primarily against man coverage (Patriots and Dolphins). Crowder is presumably pretty well versed beating zones?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I know Ramsey is a beast in press man. But do they sprinkle in a healthy mix around that?

We all know McKenzie has flashed primarily against man coverage (Patriots and Dolphins). Crowder is presumably pretty well versed beating zones?

Raheem Morris is their DC and goes back to the Tampa 2 in Tampa and worked under Quinn in Atlanta so probably safe to assume they play a lot of zone. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Rams defense last year under Morris largely resembled the one the Bills played in 2020 under Staley.  Heavy zone with a cover 2 shell.  They played zone coverage the 2nd most in the NFL last year (68%) and man coverage the least (14%).  Theoretically, Crowder will be an important piece of our game plan

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Ramsey will be man to man on Davis. They will double diggs is my guess

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Forlorn hope said:

Ramsey will be man to man on Davis. They will double diggs is my guess

I hope not, I want Diggs to go one on one with him and hand him his lunch. Don’t think Josh has forgotten and I’m pretty sure Diggs would love to help his buddy #17 out in punishing the Ram Ham Jalen Ramsey for all the trash talking he did about Josh a few years back.

48 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I hope not, I want Diggs to go one on one with him and hand him his lunch. Don’t think Josh has forgotten and I’m pretty sure Diggs would love to help his buddy #17 out in punishing the Ram Ham Jalen Ramsey for all the trash talking he did about Josh a few years back.

The goal will be the illusion of power sets ( two tes, fb etc,) but in reality with diggs, Davis, Knox , cook, Gilliam, you create a 5 wide threat. You then can find the mismatch and strike. It's a big reason they drafted cook who is a kamara/ marshall faulk type. 

Then once they go nickel, two high, then you just go back to power and two tes/fb with Knox/ Gilliam and cook running. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Raheem Morris is their DC and goes back to the Tampa 2 in Tampa and worked under Quinn in Atlanta so probably safe to assume they play a lot of zone. 

Nailed it as Morris is a zone guy.  If memory serves didn’t Diggs torch Ramsey a couple of times in the Bills/Rams game in 2020.  The announcers kept making so much of Ramsey and then Diggs just torches him in the end zone.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Nailed it as Morris is a zone guy.  If memory serves didn’t Diggs torch Ramsey a couple of times in the Bills/Rams game in 2020.  The announcers kept making so much of Ramsey and then Diggs just torches him in the end zone.

Diggs only had 49 yards, but added the TD. He certainly did his job. Cole and Davis had the bigger games, yardage-wise.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Forlorn hope said:

The goal will be the illusion of power sets ( two tes, fb etc,) but in reality with diggs, Davis, Knox , cook, Gilliam, you create a 5 wide threat. You then can find the mismatch and strike. It's a big reason they drafted cook who is a kamara/ marshall faulk type. 

Then once they go nickel, two high, then you just go back to power and two tes/fb with Knox/ Gilliam and cook running. 

Gilliam is part of a 5 wide alignment??

5 hours ago, Forlorn hope said:

Yes, it looks like they are grooming Morris for Gilliam's role too.  While he's the better receiver, Gilliam is the better blocker.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Gilliam is part of a 5 wide alignment??

Yes, in the match-up he's describing--what looks like a run set can go into a 5-wide with that personnel.  All about creating mismatches.

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The Bills don't write McKenzie in as the primary slot receiver if they don't think he can succeed against zone now.  McKenzie has by all accounts been having a great camp, and the Bills have been playing a lot of zone in camp.

Did we ever get clarification on what McKenzie's injury actually is?

There was a small note about him "limping" out of practice about a week ago, and a small follow-up saying it looked minor.  They never said if it was a knee, ankle, foot, hamstring, groin, etc.  The lack of attention made me think he was perfectly fine.

Now it sounds iffy on whether he will play Thursday.  As one of our starters, I would think this would be bigger news.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yeah that was a sweet rep by Diggs, short touchdown. That was a wild game I think the Bills went up 28-3 and the Rams came all the way back before we won.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Did we ever get clarification on what McKenzie's injury actually is?

There was a small note about him "limping" out of practice about a week ago, and a small follow-up saying it looked minor.  They never said if it was a knee, ankle, foot, hamstring, groin, etc.  The lack of attention made me think he was perfectly fine.

Now it sounds iffy on whether he will play Thursday.  As one of our starters, I would think this would be bigger news.

Could also be the Bills not showing their hand.  McKenzie and Crowder are very different players.   Of course, the Rams will plan for both as both should get reps, but no need to give them a heads up right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.