Shout out to Bitcoin Barkley!

Beck Water

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's what really struck me.  Relative to Josh, I think most of us think of Barkley as old, slow, weak-armed.  But really, he's a top athlete with a ton of natural ability.  All these guys are.

He had the physical sequence down pat.

Does that me he should be kicking the PAT (Point After Touchdown)?

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Call me ignorant, but why are kickers never punters also? I feel like if a kicker could do both, and do both well, his value woukd be through the roof in the nfl 

A lot of them do both in college. Matt Araiza was a pretty good kicker as well as punter.

But I'm the NFL you have to be elite (relative to the general public) at your craft and can't devote time to both without sacrificing your ability to be elite at one.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I still find it weird out of all the athletic freaks that were active they picked the older not overly mobile quarterback to kick. Just a weird fit. On a rough night though his 50 yarder was a nice feel good moment. 

It may have more to do with his ability to get a team set at the line of scrimmage, execute a snap count, catch a snap, and avoid taking a huge loss on a play gone bad.  They also figured even a guy with average athletic ability can get one downfield.  Finally, they probably felt putting the third string QB at risk was the best of all undesirable options.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I just think Matt deserves some Attaboys.  According to his press conference, he had never punted nor practiced punting, until the Bills came to him an hour before the game and asked him to punt.

2 minutes in is when he talks about the punting.  Says the 53 yarder took a "Bitcoin Bounce".  It was nice to see him crack a smile at the end when asked about his "career best" punt.

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Does that me he should be kicking the PAT (Point After Touchdown)?

? that's place-kicking not punting?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I just think Matt deserves some Attaboys.  According to his press conference, he had never punted nor practiced punting, until the Bills came to him an hour before the game and asked him to punt.

Can we agree to use Araiza and Barkley? "Matt deserves Attaboys" does not sound great applied to Araiza.  About 4 times in the last 24 hours my brain has misapplied a Matt and given the story, it's not good.

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

Can we agree to use Araiza and Barkley? "Matt deserves Attaboys" does not sound great applied to Araiza.  About 4 times in the last 24 hours my brain has misapplied a Matt and given the story, it's not good.

Fair!  I don't think of Araiza as "Matt" but good point that others do.

This reminds me of when Lou Saban used Ed Rutkowski as the "Disaster QB."  Now we have a Disaster Punter?  Hope this is not an omen for our upcoming season!

https://www.aberdeennews.com/story/news/2018/11/09/buffalo-bills-disaster-quarterback-five-decades-before-nathan-peterman-there-was-ed-rutkowski/44581397/

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

This reminds me of when Lou Saban used Ed Rutkowski as the "Disaster QB."  Now we have a Disaster Punter?  Hope this is not an omen for our upcoming season!

https://www.aberdeennews.com/story/news/2018/11/09/buffalo-bills-disaster-quarterback-five-decades-before-nathan-peterman-there-was-ed-rutkowski/44581397/

if Bills sign/trade for a veteran punter he will barely be used but if they try an undrafted or one of those punters who bounce around league mostly in training camp they will need punter desperately.  My recommendation: Punter will barely be used and If need be Bass can kick far so sign Brian Moorman who can be holder (post week 1) and a rookie punter who will be waived, put on practice squad and trained by Moorman. When Bills believe rookie is ready he can be called up for a game or two before Moorman is waived and put on practice squad.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

if Bills sign/trade for a veteran punter he will barely be used but if they try an undrafted or one of those punters who bounce around league mostly in training camp they will need punter desperately.  My recommendation: Punter will barely be used and If need be Bass can kick far so sign Brian Moorman who can be holder (post week 1) and a rookie punter who will be waived, put on practice squad and trained by Moorman. When Bills believe rookie is ready he can be called up for a game or two before Moorman is waived and put on practice squad.

I need to ask you a question. It’s late. It’s Saturday. Are you high? Brian Moorman?! The guy has been out of the league for 9 seasons.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I need to ask you a question. It’s late. It’s Saturday. Are you high? Brian Moorman?! The guy has been out of the league for 9 seasons.

I am never high and never have been in my life. 

He mostly would be holding the ball and I cannot recall him ever fumbling the ball or putting laces down wrong for place lkicker.  

George Blanda played until he was 48.

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

Call me ignorant, but why are kickers never punters also? I feel like if a kicker could do both, and do both well, his value woukd be through the roof in the nfl 

Why isn’t an offensive lineman also a defensive lineman, I mean they are both lineman?  Same answer. Different mechanics and body movements. 

17 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

This has been discussed a dozen times.  It just doesn't work like that.  Also you'd also lose two positions at once if they ever got hurt.

Exactly.  I had a business partner a long time ago who was a punter for FSU, and we discussed the mechanics of kicking

and punting.  They are two different unique skills.

It worked out fine in a meaningless game.  Barkley is an interesting guy.  I’m guessing they’ll PS him this year as

really our 2nd AB coach.  

On a side note, I liked what Sal explained the other day.  He mentioned how Dorsey will be in the  booth, because Brady will be on the field.  He was the play caller for Carolina last Year so between Keenum, Barkley, and Brady, Allen will get all the feedback he needs plus a booth view from Dorsey.

19 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You have to live here to use the search function or scan the first page?

Huh.

There’s a search function…, 

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am never high and never have been in my life. 

He mostly would be holding the ball and I cannot recall him ever fumbling the ball or putting laces down wrong for place lkicker.  

George Blanda played until he was 48.

Maybe it’s time you let your hair down so to speak…, or maybe just relax with a 🍸🚬😂  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.