Anybody Concerned About Our Defensive Backfield?

Irv

Just now, Starr Almighty said:

I'm more worried about the punter position for some unknown reason

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

Please don't drag this into other threads or it will take over the entire board.

Hyde and Poyer should be fine plus J.Johnson and D. Hamlin have looked solid. As far as CB I'm a little concerned, especially against higher end receiving corps. I would've like to see a vet like Haden or Rhodes brought in as a security blanket in the event the game is too big for Elam right away or if Jackson has a setback. Benford has been a pleasant surprise for a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 1

So I take it this is the latest worry, concern, fear, we are doomed, may as well just concede the whole bloody season right now, thread, why do folk get worked up over this stuff? Damn near every pundit / talking head out there thinks we are the favorite to win it all, yikes, some of y’all need a 🍸 & a 🚬 desperately, not to mention some “time” with your important other…, 

Go Bills!!!

They might struggle against the Rams, since that’s the best receiving corps we face all year (at least on paper), plus it’s opening day and things can get kind of shaky one way or the other… as we found out last season against the Steelers.  Woof.

The sky isn’t falling.  Our Safeties were just named 1st and 2nd team all pros, have one of the best Nickel CB’s in the league, and reports of Tre’s demise are largely over reported.  He may be out a few games, but we didn’t have him for the last four games of last year nor the playoffs.  Dane did just fine.  Bedford and Elam will be fine.  We don’t face KC until week 6.  

The Ravens were the 32nd rated passing offense last year, and we upgraded our run defense with Settle, Jones, and Phillips.  Oh and we have this wrecking crew of a DE named Von.

I know we hoped Tre would be there for the opener, but hope is not lost.

If we get more pressure on QB's, that will make our Secondary look that much better. Hurried QB's are forced to make quicker decisions, throw the ball before they want to, and they are more prone to mistakes. The Secondary is then able to make more plays and they aren't forced to cover as long. I'm hoping the front really gets after it this year, which will make the whole defense look even better. I believe we'll be fine until Tre gets back, and then we'll be even more scary on defense when he does. 

The safeties have/had injuries that will be healed by week one, they could play now if it was in season, that is not a concern.  Safety depth also not a concern.  Some questions at corner with the rookies and Tre but this defense seems able to plug guys in at corner without them getting smoked all day consistently.   I think the scheme protects the corners to a degree.   The rookies have good size and Elam has great traits.  I trust this team to coach well.  Pass rush should be improved, that helps the secondary....short answer no not worried.

it is a concern w injuries and young players learning, but our d is set up to put the backfield into a maximum advantage mode taking away big plays and letting them play aggressively and often going forward.  it makes the LBs job harder than most, and more or less requires constant pass rush.  given our improvement IMO in pass rush, i think a lot of the drop off w white out will be covered up for the most part.

I'm not. Poyer and Hyde are fine. They will be great once again. the Bills are better at CB right now than they were at the end of last season, and they are much stronger on the d-line than they were last season.

This is the best Bills team I have seen going into a season in my 49 years of fandom.

• Like (+1) 1

Extremely.  These young kids are way to "handsy".  The amount of first downs we will be giving up due to penalties is really concerning to me.

Last year I thought we were playing with fire with our CB depth and we were burned.

I have a bad feeling about how this is going to turn out.  I didn't understand why this wasn't taken care of in FA, especially when Bradberry was cut.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.