Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

On 9/5/2022 at 10:15 PM, stuvian said:

why a lawsuit and not criminal charges?

No criminal case because the evidence is flimsy.

A civil suit because they think they were suing an NFL player for big bucks. Imagine their disappointment when MA got released and now their civil suit is against an unemployed college dropout.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:53 PM, NoSaint said:

Still super weird to me that they pushed to obliterate his career as soon as haack was cut and then went relatively radio silence in the week since he was cut. 

not saying they were right, wrong, or in between… but really don’t see the goal of the play unless it’s simply punitively punish araiza because you don’t think the case will go anywhere but at least that’s a bit of payback? 

The victims attorney basically said the civil suit was meant to draw attention and public pressure to motivate the DA and local police to take some kind of action.  It doesn't appear to have worked yet.  

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The victims attorney basically said the civil suit was meant to draw attention and public pressure to motivate the DA and local police to take some kind of action.  It doesn't appear to have worked yet.  

Draw attention as well as bolster his civil suit with the gravitas of criminal charges being filed. Given the extent of her injuries and the fact that she went to the police the next day, I find it hard to believe that the police and DA wouldn’t like anything better than to have gathered enough evidence to press criminal charges. The fact they haven’t to this point speaks volumes. The plaintiff’s attorney looks to have gambled and failed in his strategy by filing the civil action. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Her lawyer probably had no idea about the existence of that YouTube video, considering he went radio silent once it was discovered (thanks in large part to him accidentally tweeting out her name and her interviews giving clues as to her identity and details of that night).  It basically killed not only the criminal case, but also their civil suit.  He also might have believed that once the Bills cut Haack, Araiza was assured the job and the entire $3.9M contract.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Her lawyer probably had no idea about the existence of that YouTube video, considering he went radio silent once it was discovered (thanks in large part to him accidentally tweeting out her name and her interviews giving clues as to her identity and details of that night).  It basically killed not only the criminal case, but also their civil suit.  He also might have believed that once the Bills cut Haack, Araiza was assured the job and the entire $3.9M contract.

It seems he not only botched her case, but maybe his own career as well. It’s hard to know what he should have or could have known, and when, but this was NOT well managed. 

Something happened, and I feel badly for anyone involved. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

It seems he not only botched her case, but maybe his own career as well. It’s hard to know what he should have or could have known, and when, but this was NOT well managed. 

Something happened, and I feel badly for anyone involved. 

I want to see the evidence for or against Araiza being involved in the gang rape.

• Vomit 1

17 hours ago, boater said:

No criminal case because the evidence is flimsy.

A civil suit because they think they were suing an NFL player for big bucks. Imagine their disappointment when MA got released and now their civil suit is against an unemployed college dropout.

If going for the big NFL bucks was the goal, I'd think they'd have waited until he signed a contract.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If going for the big NFL bucks was the goal, I'd think they'd have waited until he signed a contract.

On the long list of things that went wrong here, somewhere you will find her choice of an attorney. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

On the long list of things that went wrong here, somewhere you will find her choice of an attorney. 

I agree 100%.  But I also feel like I'm in the minority when I say that this girl is not just some slut looking for a big payday.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I agree 100%.  But I also feel like I'm in the minority when I say that this girl is not just some slut looking for a big payday.

I don’t know what anyone else may know, but I don’t know enough to really have an opinion on her motivation then or now. Whatever she did, she did not deserve what seems to have happened to her. NOBODY deserves that. 

I do think her chances of getting some satisfaction would be improved with a better choice of counsel. 

• Agree 1

In a possibly related matter which I have not heard reported anywhere else

buffalo-bills-legal-chief-away-from-team-as-nfl-season-begins

Some sort of fallout from the handling of the Matt Araiza accusations?  The timing would be after the call from the plaintiffs' attorney and before the civil lawsuit was filed.  Interesting to say the least but I doubt we will learn what this is all about.

• Shocked 1

23 hours ago, Doc said:

Admittedly I have not been following up on this. What YouTube video?

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Admittedly I have not been following up on this. What YouTube video?

It's on (for me) page 289, from August 31st.  Basically the girl was at some party the night the incidents took place (not sure if it was the one Araiza was at, since she went to more than one party) where she's telling people that she's "only" 18.  As well as some other unsavory things.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It's on (for me) page 289, from August 31st.  Basically the girl was at some party the night the incidents took place (not sure if it was the one Araiza was at, since she went to more than one party) where she's telling people that she's "only" 18.  As well as some other unsavory things.

adjective

disagreeable to taste, smell, or look at.

I see what you did there...:nana:

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, phypon said:

adjective

disagreeable to taste, smell, or look at.

I see what you did there...:nana:

I had to do it because a previous post on the subject matter was removed.  Which was understandable.

Edited by Doc

If criminal charges are ever filed or there is a civil trial, this thread will have new life.  We love our court room dramas even if cameras are not present.  I'd say the statutory rape charge is a no go with the accuser being recorded claiming to be 18 and bragging about her 'body count" at 20.  Her attorney seemed to have much less to say after it came out.  I wonder if there may be a grand jury that is reviewing the evidence.  That would explain the appearance of DA inaction.