Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

10 hours ago, muppy said:

SMH......current news report headline "SDSU says police told them not to investigate"....spin spin spin in your favor get that spin out yo

smh

cbs8.com

I don’t know the details of what a college might look at in California, but a Title IX investigation by a university is completely different than a police investigation.  Different training, different goals, different standards, different outcomes. 

If a violent sexual assault occurred, I’d think the last thing the university should be doing is investigating this matter. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ALF said:

The San Diego Police were investigating this case the day after Halloween and hospital . Should have had result before the draft.

THIS! I could not have said it better. (and I wish I had)  I knew this case smelled bad to me and how it had been handled. 

back to lurking 

10 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Just based on the lawyers actions alone it really reads like he was trying hard to bully araiza into a settlement before the season started.  I have a feeling they are keeping him updated on the criminal case and he’s got a pretty good idea araiza is not going to be charged.  Of course these lawyers are absolute nutjobs so their actions may be impossible to read into.

leaking the diary still makes absolutely no sense to me…he has this intricate retelling of events in the civil suit then releases a diary that basically says the victim has no idea who brought her to the room or who was in it

couple that with the suit mentioning they had an earlier sexual encounter and he just put together a defense for the opposition 

this lawyer is a nut-job it sounds like. i wouldn’t say all are

11 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

If Araiza is proven innocent, would the NFL, FANS & BILLS. Give him another chance?

IMO there is zero chance the Bills would bring him back even if civil suit is dropped and no criminal charges filed.  Would another team give him a chance...probably.

Edited by BTB
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Just based on the lawyers actions alone it really reads like he was trying hard to bully araiza into a settlement before the season started.  I have a feeling they are keeping him updated on the criminal case and he’s got a pretty good idea araiza is not going to be charged.  Of course these lawyers are absolute nutjobs so their actions may be impossible to read into.

leaking the diary still makes absolutely no sense to me…he has this intricate retelling of events in the civil suit then releases a diary that basically says the victim has no idea who brought her to the room or who was in it

couple that with the suit mentioning they had an earlier sexual encounter and he just put together a defense for the opposition 

It's my understanding that Araiza/family offered a settlement before he was drafted and that the victim/her attorney declined.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's my understanding that Araiza/family offered a settlement before he was drafted and that the victim/her attorney declined.

I thought read that that was false and Gilleon was the first to bring up a settlement?

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Just for clarification, this is Dan Gilleon being a dirtbag. If you read the tweets and the messages he posted, they are dated end of July & early August. As you know, Matt had already been drafted by the Buffalo Bills. So this is Dan being clever with his words as Matt hadn't made the team yet as he was still trying to make the team.

As far as his claims of "we ignored the offerr", none of the messages he posted support that position. Matt's lawyer in the text says his parents are inquiring how much money the client wants. That's not making an offer. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

can we please stop using "woke" and "cancel culture"? It's ridiculous. If we disagree on a subject and have an opinion, I'm "woke" WTF does that mean? A football player was cut from the team. He wasn't canceled. so effing stupid

The full truth is what matters most in this.  That should always be the case.  If he is guilty of what is alleged then IMO there is no punishment harsh enough.  If he is guilty of parts…such as knowing about it and saying Nothing, I’d think he’d deserve whatever outcome came his way.  

For the sake of discussion, let’s assume he wasn’t involved at all and has been completely accurate and forthcoming behind the scenes……this seems like a stretch to me personally but let’s just go with it for a minute…..now let’s say he is able to prove that.  Do you think the lingering effects from this on his career/life will magically disappear?  That no one will remember his name or it will have no impact?  How about if he is truly innocent but has no way to prove it?  It won’t have any impact?  All this stuff is no biggie and should be seen as how society should treat people?

I don’t know about woke or how it has come to be defined but I can see that we have become a culture that needs immediate answers and resolution to any issue so we feel we can move on to the next thing.  If it takes a while to gather actual facts?  Screw that, just take a guess.

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Just for clarification, this is Dan Gilleon being a dirtbag. If you read the tweets and the messages he posted, they are dated end of July & early August. As you know, Matt had already been drafted by the Buffalo Bills. So this is Dan being clever with his words as Matt hadn't made the team yet as he was still trying to make the team.

As far as his claims of "we ignored the offerr", none of the messages he posted support that position. Matt's lawyer in the text says his parents are inquiring how much money the client wants. That's not making an offer. 

The things you point out are facts and thus irrelevant.  Emotions only please.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

If Araiza is proven innocent, would the NFL, FANS & BILLS. Give him another chance?

It is odd that so many people, particularly in the media, are declaring Araiza guilty in their reactions to what happened. 

If he's guilty I hope he rots in jail. But you can't deny the fact that many allegations of rape made in the college environment turn out to be false.  And saying this should not bring the wrath of the PC crowd down on someones head. After all the HIGHEST principal here is "innocent until proven guilty".  Not the allegation.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, T master said:

Sorry you are correct i just read the definition for the word woke with that said the cancel culture is all over this situation .

I do agree it isn't just a far left thing it is society in general today and the world rather than being innocent until proven guilty with this & many other things today are exactly backwards from what it is and judgement is handed out before evidence proving innocents or guilt has been established .

And in some cases it can ruin a persons life or if bad enough & some one takes their life because of the social pressures & preconceived notion that the person is guilty which some people are that weak & that is a huge tragedy !

So i choose to rather than jump on board saying that he is guilty allow the investigation help to prove one way or the other rather than jumping to a conclusion unless of course like the Watson case you have some 24+ people saying the same thing then i in that case had a tendency to lean toward those peoples testimonies .

Things such as this should be used as a learning experience to not be so quick to judge because there are those out there that are looking for a pay day I'm in no way saying that is what is happening here but history shows that it can & has before  .

https://slate.com/human-interest/2016/03/a-new-espn-film-exposes-the-real-villains-in-the-duke-lacrosse-case.html 

Your underlying point about trial by social media and mob rule over due process and the law courts is a good one, one I have made many times this offseason in various guises. You maybe didn't express it particularly well. Your second post (the one above) is more reasoned. It looks bad for Matt Araiza based on what is out there but he and his family are entitled to due process before being publicly vilified. And you are right to be concerned about a move in society away from that and towards instant condemnation based on a trial by public opinion. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

That would be damning if true.  Araiza's lawyer's story is that Araiza didn't realize there was an ongoing criminal investigation until after the June 3rd article in the LA Times, and that he didn't realize a civil suit was a possibility until July

Which is why he didn't tell teams about the incident pre-draft

If he knew it was a pending issue before he was drafted and didn't inform teams, I think that would be a violation of some of the agreements the prospects sign with the NFL and with teams.

What I think Gilleon means is that a settlement was discussed during training camp.  Araiza was already a preseason member of the Bills but not their presumptive regular-season punter.

21 minutes ago, T master said:

Sorry you are correct i just read the definition for the word woke with that said the cancel culture is all over this situation .

I do agree it isn't just a far left thing it is society in general today and the world rather than being innocent until proven guilty with this & many other things today are exactly backwards from what it is and judgement is handed out before evidence proving innocents or guilt has been established .

And in some cases it can ruin a persons life or if bad enough & some one takes their life because of the social pressures & preconceived notion that the person is guilty which some people are that weak & that is a huge tragedy !

So i choose to rather than jump on board saying that he is guilty allow the investigation help to prove one way or the other rather than jumping to a conclusion unless of course like the Watson case you have some 24+ people saying the same thing then i in that case had a tendency to lean toward those peoples testimonies .

Things such as this should be used as a learning experience to not be so quick to judge because there are those out there that are looking for a pay day I'm in no way saying that is what is happening here but history shows that it can & has before  .

https://slate.com/human-interest/2016/03/a-new-espn-film-exposes-the-real-villains-in-the-duke-lacrosse-case.html 

I agree, and have been saying as such all along.  It's just a volitile word that gets thrown out far too often in cases it does not apply to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

That would be damning if true.  Araiza's lawyer's story is that Araiza didn't realize there was an ongoing criminal investigation until after the June 3rd article in the LA Times, and that he didn't realize a civil suit was a possibility until July

If he knew it was a pending issue before he was drafted and didn't inform teams, I think that would be a violation of some of the agreements the prospects sign with the NFL and with teams.

What I think Gilleon means is that a settlement was discussed during training camp.  Araiza was already a preseason member of the Bills but not their presumptive regular-season punter.

Araiza's attorney said that Matt was aware of the accusations in the late fall of 2021. 

There is no proof yet that he was aware that he was under police investigation. However, the university was informed. The police conducted pretext calls and they executed search warrants seizing terrabytes of data. 

Did they get his phone and computer without him knowing? 

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Go to Gilleon's twitter and read the full text convo. He posted it himself, but it reads like an extortion attempt. Now that is not to say Araiza is innocent but more a statement on the integrity of the pay me to shut up civil justice system in the country.

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The full truth is what matters most in this.  That should always be the case.  If he is guilty of what is alleged then IMO there is no punishment harsh enough.  If he is guilty of parts…such as knowing about it and saying Nothing, I’d think he’d deserve whatever outcome came his way.  

For the sake of discussion, let’s assume he wasn’t involved at all and has been completely accurate and forthcoming behind the scenes……this seems like a stretch to me personally but let’s just go with it for a minute…..now let’s say he is able to prove that.  Do you think the lingering effects from this on his career/life will magically disappear?  That no one will remember his name or it will have no impact?  How about if he is truly innocent but has no way to prove it?  It won’t have any impact?  All this stuff is no biggie and should be seen as how society should treat people?

I don’t know about woke or how it has come to be defined but I can see that we have become a culture that needs immediate answers and resolution to any issue so we feel we can move on to the next thing.  If it takes a while to gather actual facts?  Screw that, just take a guess.

The things you point out are facts and thus irrelevant.  Emotions only please.

Just to be clear in the court of law Matt doesn’t need to prove he is innocent. The burden is on the plaintiff to prove he is guilty. I think this is why there is such a polarizing opinion. He’s not guilty of this crime until he’s proven to be guilty.
Everyone assumes he is guilty and should suffer. However the reality is unless the plaintiff can prove Araiza was in the room and raped her then it’s pretty much moot point. I do think a jury however will lean towards the plaintiff because the suit is such a disturbing claim. 

In the suit though there’s a lot of speculation like it says Araiza should have known she was drunk, etc. It also says he told her to have sex with him and she did. Does it actually say he raped her?  I never read it that way. The claim is that he led her back into the room where she was gang raped. 

So based off her own diary she contradicts herself that she doesn’t remember who was there or who brought her to the room. But I’m the suit it says Araiza brought her to the room as well as should have known she was drunk. 

I get the feeling the attorney is fishing for more information/cooperation from Araiza to help piece details together that he believes only Araiza can help confirm. 

This next part is all pure speculation. The feeling I get from this whole suit is that Araiza was there, had sex with the girl (as he admitted to) and may possibly know what happened after he hooked up with her. I get the vibe that he probably knew about or became aware about what happened afterwards. That is why they are going after him. 

I also have strong feelings about a 17 year old girl at a college party at a house on campus. I don’t fault him for that personally. 

However if he was aware of the gang rape I think he should have informed. That’s not something to stay quiet about. If he was involved he should be prosecuted criminally.  His life will be ruined.  If he wasn’t involved I hope the plaintiff’s attorney loses his license for they way he destroyed this kids life. I will wait judgement until this sees it’s day in court. 

I wonder why San Diego PD hasn’t moved forward or made a statement about any of this?  I wonder if the civil case helps or ruins any criminal case they had been working/building. 

• Dislike 1