Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

3 minutes ago, billsfan3482 said:

This video is from few pages back. Its matts lawyer stating he did nothing wrong with having sex with her. He had proof, the girl was telling everyone at the party she was 18..  Matt it not some creeper pedophile.

ALLEGEDLY. I’ve been running around telling everyone who’s been sentencing Araiza that this is alleged but the fact is the defence is alleged evidence at this stage too. It proves nothing for now, just as the lawsuit proves nothing either.

• Like (+1) 1

CBS affiliate channel 8 in san diego is going to show an interview with the victim and the case. 530pm pacific. And Im sure it will be posted to their website after. High profile local story clearly

m

www.cbs8.com

Edited by muppy
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

CBS affiliate channel 8 in san diego is going to show an interview with the victim and her attorney. That's in approx 20 minutes. 6pm pacific. And Im sure it will be posted to their website after. High profile local story clearly

m

www.cbs8.com

Have to admit, American law baffles me. Pretty sure in the U.K. neither side would be able to do battle for hearts and minds in the media this way as it would be seen as prejudicing any further trial. It’d be kept private until the court case began.

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Have to admit, American law baffles me. Pretty sure in the U.K. neither side would be able to do battle for hearts and minds in the media this way as it would be seen as prejudicing any further trial. It’d be kept private until the court case began.

I just saw the piece with Norah O'Donnell. It was a very interesting comprehensive piece. Victim states she didn't even know who araiza was or  that he was a football player. I agree with your post. The attorneys rhetoric IS trying this case IN the media. WOOF. lol SMH I dunno I dont like it.  

1 minute ago, muppy said:

I just saw the piece with Norah O'Donnell. It was a very interesting comprehensive piece. Victim states she didn't even know who araiza was or  that he was a football player. I agree with your post. The attorneys rhetoric IS trying this case IN the media. WOOF. lol SMH I dunno I dont like it.  

That's probably the least important detail in so far as the events of that night is concerned.  I'm sure she found out who he was when she got his phone number several days later, i.e. well before the demands for money and civil suit was filed.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

That's probably the least important detail in so far as the events of that night is concerned.  I'm sure she found out who he was when she got his phone number several days later, i.e. well before the demands for money and civil suit was filed.  

it was news for me that's all. Im not judging its merits/non merits

she was in shadow on the screen understandably so

m

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not if he thought she was a...major.

I'm not entirely sure that’s a defense that holds up. It’s not apples to apples but you can’t claim you didn’t know the speed limit was 35 as a defense for driving 50 even if it’s true. 

Rob Lowe picked up two girls in a bar and brought them back to a hotel assuming they were at least 21. Turned out they were 16, he went to jail. 

Edited by blitzboy54

Social media has turned the majority into robots. You can see it all over. And definitely see them in this thread repeatedly. Not even a thought questioning the accuracy or truth to things. Just a flashy clickbait headline and boom people have facts to be angry over. I can’t even tell you how many times in the last 3 days I have seen quotes from the lawsuit posted as straight facts. Zero thought behind it. Even when explained in a polite manner it flies so far over heads they don’t even see it. Alleged, as the lawsuit stated, from the suit, all completely glanced over and not even included in a few “news” articles I read. And then you have to be a rape supporter I guess if you don’t have him found guilty already. 

• Agree 4

38 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Lawyers on both sides are advocates and anything they put out publicly is designed to persuade the court of public opinion to their respective sides. If you rely on the information put out by either attorney as completely factual, you are a fool. 

Understood

38 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Last I checked, the investigation by law enforcement hadn't been released. So, we really have no idea what the actual facts are - just the versions of those facts put out by each side.

Agreed, Allegations at this point, including everything said in the civil suit

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

People just hear "statutory rape/sex with a minor" and that's it for them.  

Yes exactly. Since the first second all this was released.  I dont know that facts, just like all of us. But damn, if this was me, I would hate to be judged with accusations already made without a trial or facts released.  people should think how they would want to be treated if possibly being wrongfully convicted of a crime.

If he is guilty he will have to deal with the consequences, not before.

• Agree 3

Just now, blitzboy54 said:

I'm not entirely sure that’s true. It’s not apples to apples but you can’t claim you didn’t know the speed limit was 35 as a defense for driving 50 even if it’s true. 

Rib Lowe picked up two girls in a bar and brought them back to a hotel assuming they were at least 21. Turned out they were 16, he went to jail. 

In California it is.  Probably as an acknowledgement to their unusually high age of consent (in 64% of the country it's 16 and for 80% it's by the age of 17).

2 minutes ago, billsfan3482 said:

Yes exactly. Since the first second all this was released.  I dont know that facts, just like all of us. But damn, if this was me, I would hate to be judged with accusations already made without a trial or facts released.  people should think how they would want to be treated if possibly being wrongfully convicted of a crime.

If he is guilty he will have to deal with the consequences, not before.

Yup.  As I've said before, I'm looking at it through my younger son's eyes (my older one has a steady girlfriend he's probably going to marry when he gets a little older than 21).  I wouldn't want him to be called a rapist because a girl who looked legal and told him she was legal turned out not to be.  Although I suspect that if the gang rape hadn't happened, this would never have come to light anyway.

1 hour ago, billsfan3482 said:

This is the kind of info we should have waited for. Instead of 278 pages of nonsense, bull####. From random online know it alls, garbage reports, from pieced together garbage headlines.  I dont know what will happen with Matt, but instantly saying hes guilty, and saying he had sex with a 17 year, "oh hes done", "his life is over" "what a scumbag" ive even read someone call him a "creeper" as if he preyed on young girls or something.  Bunch of high horse riding, church goers who hide their past behind a computer screen.

This lawyer made a few statements that should make alot of you embarassed and rethink your Bedroom law degrees! Passing on judgement on people and topics

you know nothing about.

He said nothing new in that interview that he hadn't already said. Most of us who have been following read far more about this than you apparently. 

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

He said nothing new in that interview that he hadn't already said. Most of us who have been following read far more about this than you apparently. 

I think it clarified some things, like does he have witnesses who will testify that she said she was 18 (yes he does) and did Araiza live at that house (no he didn't).

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

SMH......current news report headline "SDSU says police told them not to investigate"....spin spin spin in your favor get that spin out yo

smh

cbs8.com

I mean you wouldn't necessarily want two investigations smashing into each other.

Just now, Doc said:

I think it clarified some things, like does he have witnesses who will testify that she said she was 18 (yes he does) and did Araiza live at that house (no he didn't).

He had said all of that last week on CBS San Diego. 

2 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

I'm not entirely sure that’s a defense that holds up. It’s not apples to apples but you can’t claim you didn’t know the speed limit was 35 as a defense for driving 50 even if it’s true. 

Rob Lowe picked up two girls in a bar and brought them back to a hotel assuming they were at least 21. Turned out they were 16, he went to jail.

Sucks to be Rob Lowe then - although he's since called it "the best thing that ever happened to me" because he says it lead to sobriety, a happy marriage, and two sons he's proud of.

In Cali specifically, there is a defense called "mistake in age".  If a minor is close to legal age (16, 17) and the accused has reasonable belief that the person is of legal age (say, they were admitted to an Over 21 club, showed a bartender ID, and were being served alcohol all night), then it would be "up to" the prosecutor to convince a jury that their belief that the person was of age is not reasonable.

So if Rob Lowe had been in Hollywood and not Atlanta when he cut that tape, he might have been OK.