Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the civil filing cost Araiza his job. 

That’s technically true, but I think the lack of a prompt and compelling response by Araiza sealed his fate.  

Maybe there just aren’t any exculpatory facts available to him right now…

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On what basis do you believe that?

Common sense, primarily.  Do you think any high schooler would ever go to a college party and tell someone "hey, I'm 17.  Get me a beer"?  Would you?  Then there were reports that she told people she was 18.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

I'm going off of California law. The reason no case number has been assigned is because it has not been reviewed. It was filed Thursday and nothing was assigned instantaneously. The court could throw it out at any point as well. 

What kind of review process are you talking about?  I’ve never heard of such a thing.  Is it performed by a clerk? A judge?  What are they reviewing it for?

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

If Araiza and his lawyer had put together a more coherent, convincing response, the Bills might have at least let this play out a little longer.  They failed.

How?  How do you prove he wasn't in the room gang-raping her other than denying it, which many people won't believe?  And all people want to know when they hear "statutory rape" is "lock him up" without hearing context.  Again there was no time for resolution so the Bills had no choice but to move on so it wouldn't be a distraction going forward.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

How?  How do you prove he wasn't in the room gang-raping her other than denying it, which many people won't believe?  And all people want to know when they hear "statutory rape" is "lock him up" without hearing context.  Again there was no time for resolution so the Bills had no choice but to move on so it wouldn't be a distraction going forward.

Araiza had at least a month to come up with a response, even though the complaint wasn’t filed until Thursday. They could have hired investigators, found witnesses who could back up his story. He should have anticipated a public furor.  And Araiza could have issued a comprehensive denial, which he never did.  His official statement was pathetic and weak.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Maybe, maybe not. Before her lawyer got involved this whole story was buried for nearly a year, so I'd say they've done a lot more good than bad.

Regardless, what you think about someone's lawyer shouldn't have any bearing on the case unless they are making seemingly false or provably false accusations or are acting in a defamatory manner - none of which I've seen so far.

If you cared about the victim, you'd care more about her attorney ruining her case by his contradictions. I understand it's your opinion he has not, but his track record shows a similar pattern. Either way, it's Sunday, and I'm going to enjoy my day, I wish the same to you. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

What kind of review process are you talking about?  I’ve never heard of such a thing.  Is it performed by a clerk? A judge?  What are they reviewing it for?

I'm going off of California law, the clerk reviews the complaint to make sure it's proper before assigning a case number to it. Dan cannot issue subpoenas until that happens. Even then, he does have to file a copy of EVERY subpoena with the court within 48 hours. 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Common sense, primarily.  Do you think any high schooler would ever go to a college party and tell someone "hey, I'm 17.  Get me a beer"?  Would you?  Then there were reports that she told people she was 18.

Lol. Yeah, no college aged guy could ever see that one coming. Some HS kid lying about her age. Also even if she did tell him she was 18 (crazy how some fellow SDSU football players remember that little detail) and he got her a beer (that wasn’t laced with anything), then that’s still a crime.  Best case scenario for Araiza is that he’s guilty of some very bad things. Worst case, he’s guilty of some truly horrifying crimes. I’m happy he’s gone from Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

Araiza had at least a month to come up with a response, even though the complaint wasn’t filed until Thursday. They could have hired investigators, found witnesses who could back up his story. He should have anticipated a public furor.  And Araiza could have issued a comprehensive denial, which he never did.  His official statement was pathetic and weak.

I thought I read that they had hired investigators.

22 minutes ago, Offside Number 76 said:

This varies from place to place and maybe even from hospital to hospital.  ECMC does not do so routinely; the patient has to ask for it.

Thanks Fred Smerlas! 

Just the other day that phrase went through my head, "Encroachment, number 76 defence" 

lol 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

They might have, which makes Araiza’s weak response even more inexplicable.

Araiza could have held a press conference and gone through each step of the lawsuit, denying each in turn. He still would have been cut.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

San Diego State removed Zavier Leonard from the roster about the same time the Bills cut Araiza. 

Well, they did SOMETHING. If I was running a university and someone told me that a gang rape may have happened with students from that university I'm damn sure certain I would have launched an investigation. They didn't. Unreal 

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Araiza could have held a press conference and gone through each step of the lawsuit, denying each in turn. He still would have been cut.

And if anything he said in the press conference was false, it could be used against him. 

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Maybe, but if he had articulated a compelling defense he could at least have bought more time…he didn’t give the Bills anything to work with.

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Well, they did SOMETHING. If I was running a university and someone told me that a gang rape may have happened with students from that university I'm damn sure certain I would have launched an investigation. They didn't. Unreal 

And if anything he said in the press conference was false, it could be used against him. 

They said the police asked them not to get involved. I really don’t believe it to be honest.

There is a major shift in college football going on as we speak. Over the last year conferences are being reshaped. San Diego State is a front runner for the PAC 12. I just wonder if this was kept quiet because they were having a good season and they want the PAC 12.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Lol. Yeah, no college aged guy could ever see that one coming. Some HS kid lying about her age. Also even if she did tell him she was 18 (crazy how some fellow SDSU football players remember that little detail) and he got her a beer (that wasn’t laced with anything), then that’s still a crime.  Best case scenario for Araiza is that he’s guilty of some very bad things. Worst case, he’s guilty of some truly horrifying crimes. I’m happy he’s gone from Buffalo. 

did you just qualify giving a beer as “very bad things”?

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Maybe, maybe not. Before her lawyer got involved this whole story was buried for nearly a year, so I'd say they've done a lot more good than bad.

Regardless, what you think about someone's lawyer shouldn't have any bearing on the case unless they are making seemingly false or provably false accusations or are acting in a defamatory manner - none of which I've seen so far.

I think the most he’s won with Araiza’s release is a Pyrrhic victory. Granted the spotlight is now hot on this case, but anyone representing Araiza in court is going to use the journal entries he published online to demonstrate how the accuser herself admits she was not cognizant at the time of the attack and had no idea who was involved. 

Seems like they just wanted to get Araiza cut, and they did. But if both the criminal and civil trials turn out to be duds, he’ll be punting again for someone in no time. That’s far from a resounding success if you ask me. 

• Agree 1