Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Or you could just choose to ignore the thread

Okay enjoy the gossip then Joe…, 

Go Bills!!!

Just now, Beck Water said:

I want to put this all behind us.  I want beyond anything for the TEAM to put this all behind them and not be distracted.

But honestly - does what Beane said make sense?  The Bills knew, at least as of July 30 when the plaintiff's lawyer called Kathryn D'Angelo and told her about the pending civil suit and the "boulders" of what was in it.  If they started investigating then and were dedicated to "not rush" and to collect information, how did their "information gathering" suddenly accelerate in the 48 hrs since the civil lawsuit was filed?

It is possible, that when faced with the lawsuit, the Bills information gathering went into overdrive and turned up something that gave them real pause.  And if so, Beane and McDermott quite likely can't talk about it for legal reasons. 

But I think it's also possible that

1) either McDermott was getting the 'high level summary' version from Beane, and when the lawsuit filing came out and he read it he threw up in his mouth and said  "Not on My Team, this has to go play out somewhere else"  (or, he watched guys on the team who have wives and daughters throwing up in their mouths)

2) or someone in the Bills PR/Customer Relations department pulled the plug and said "this is a freakin' disaster, make it go away"

3) or one of the Pegulas said "Hell to the No, do you hear me?"

I believe it was pretty much as Beane described it. They were made aware of the allegations and obtained Araiza’s version of the events. They then tried to find out what the actual facts supported. Unfortunately, it is an ongoing investigation and there is only so much information any LE agency is going to release about an active investigation.

Unless you have the ability to go through an entire investigative file, you have no idea what the actual facts are. If you rely on what is being released publicly, by either side, you are a fool. They are advocates and, believe it or not, there are occasions when the things they say do not reflect the actual facts in any way. Hell, there are times in the courtroom when arguments are complete distortions of the facts.

As they both said, it was difficult to get any factual information. When the civil suit was filed, it completely changed the dynamics. I think they are still in the same position most rational people are in: They still don’t have enough information to feel certain either way. 

In the end, I believe they did what they felt was best. I do not have any problem with Beane or McDermott in this situation. Everything they have done, said, and demonstrated in their time with the Bills says to me they are men of integrity and high character. Nothing that has transpired has changed my feelings about them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Hermes said:

The Bills had no choice to drop him regardless. Even if they knew with 100% certainty thay he was innocent. The media circus that would plague the team would be an absolute nightmare. Worst case scenario is that they keep him on and then he does get charged and arrested. How much does that derail the season, and what does that do to the reputation you've built?

That is a disturbing comment imo.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

The dilemma here is... He's talented and a punter who can kick consistently 80 yards is a game breaker. Changer.

Sad... 

I loved Araiza but he's not consistently a 80 yard kicker.  He did that once in preseason, twice in college.  He averaged 52 yards in college, so, though impressive, this doesn't equate to consistent 80 yarders.

We'll pick up someone who averages 45-47 and will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I loved Araiza but he's not consistently a 80 yard kicker.  He did that once in preseason, twice in college.  He averaged 52 yards in college, so, though impressive, this doesn't equate to consistent 80 yarders.

We'll pick up someone who averages 45-47 and will be fine.

Yeah... I was nervous with his delayed release, extra step.  😬....Teams will see that on film and exploit?

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

to the bolded, Im not trying to be argumenative, but at this point in time, isnt they Why of the release a moot point? Wether it was to squelch the PR nightmare or araizas best interest, does it really matter? Please dont take offense Im curious as to what you think.. It was done either way.

I don't necessarily disagree.  But why did Beane feel the need to state the same canned line repeatedly?

The team knew about the allegations against Araiza, but decided to release Haack....and then they release Araiza after they first (supposedly) learned of the details via the filing?  Were they just hoping that the allegations would never go public, and bury their heads in the sand?

I don’t understand with all the photos of her neck, bruises on her leg, she was bleeding elsewhere…… went to the police, rape kit etc….. and nothing? Hand written journals of who knows when they were written. 

This whole thing is a mess and doesn’t make any sense. 

Her lawyer is just putting all this stuff all over the social media, news etc… like “look how bad this is”….. yeah it looks bad. Bad enough to had done something last Oct/Nov!!!! Why now? Did the police have this same evidence??? If not, why not? Looks criminal to me. But many lawyers don’t expect criminal charges.

None of this passes the smell test!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I don't necessarily disagree.  But why did Beane feel the need to state the same canned line repeatedly?

The team knew about the allegations against Araiza, but decided to release Haack....and then they release Araiza after they first (supposedly) learned of the details via the filing?  Were they just hoping that the allegations would never go public, and bury their heads in the sand?

Or, as stated elsewhere, they were always going to move on from Haack. Either Araiza would punt or they were happy enough that some of those under free agency/waivers would be an upgrade.

1 minute ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I don’t understand with all the photos of her neck, bruises on her leg, she was bleeding elsewhere…… went to the police, rape kit etc….. and nothing? Hand written journals of who knows when they were written. 

Her lawyer is just putting all this stuff all over the social media, news etc… like “look how bad this is”….. yeah it looks bad. Bad enough to had done something last Oct/Nov!!!! Why now? Did the police have this same evidence??? If not, why not? Looks criminal to me. But many lawyers don’t expect criminal charges.

Sex assault cases are notoriously difficult to prosecute. The statistics are overwhelming.

• Agree 1

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

Gosh that is something I'd never considered. I guess for me I would prefer just think they were trying to handle it in the fairest way possible. Matt Araiza would have been great in a bills uniform but for all this. Fan favorite punt deity to cut.  Its a terrible look for araiza mostly. McBeane I can forgive for their misdeeds if any did happen. good talk thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

As they both said, it was difficult to get any factual information. When the civil suit was filed, it completely changed the dynamics. I think they are still in the same position most rational people are in: They still don’t have enough information to feel certain either way. 

I'm curious as to your take about how the actual filing of the civil suit changed the dynamics?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

It's almost like maybe police don't always do the right thing. I dunno.