Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t doubt that something happened

But a rape kit should be able to get DNA and everything… Especially if she went to the cops right after

agreed. 

araiza gets dicey if he previously engaged in intercourse with her though. 

the other guys may be much less able to defend themselves 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they do not. Because there is zero consequence for doing whatever they want and cutting him today. Beane could get drunk and cut 4 guys for looking at him funny at practice today. 

The only thing I can think of is, per the CBA it's not allowed for the NFL or a team to discipline or cut a player for actions that took place before he got drafted.

So the Bills may have to put together a slow case that Araiza concealed information he was contractually bound to provide, gave them misleading information, or lied, during the draft process or afterwards.

They can cut him for skill, but that's a hard argument to make when they cut Haack and there isn't another punter on the roster.

Once they try out a bunch of other punters, I guess they can say "we're going in a different direction for *reasons*, Matt - See ya!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Has Vorse, or can anyone else, commented on the "speed forced on them by the NFLPA" aspect?

What aspects of the NFLPA/CBA prevent the Bills from just saying "See Ya!" and cutting Araiza?

I don't disagree but I'd love to hear someone who knows something spell it out. 

I think that the claim would be that Araiza being cut wasn't based on performance. 

EDIT: what Beck Water just said right above me.

Edited by Bermuda Triangle

Just now, fergie's ire said:

They can.  However, they can't, for example, cut him because he's unvaccinated.  McDermott got in trouble for suggesting that he might do that last year.  You can cut someone for no reason.  You can't, however, cut them for any reason.  Some reasons will get you in trouble with the union...and this might be one of those.

Which goes back to Tuesday again. Had we cut him over Haack because of concerns over experience (for example), the NFL PA wouldn't have been able to do a thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

They can.  However, they can't, for example, cut him because he's unvaccinated.  McDermott got in trouble for suggesting that he might do that last year.  You can cut someone for no reason.  You can't, however, cut them for any reason.  Some reasons will get you in trouble with the union...and this might be one of those.

Right. McDermott can't come out and say Araiza was cut for this controversy because being sued by someone (even for an alleged rape) is not cause to cut a player. Araiza may well be on the team till cutdowns. It's obvious he won't be a Bill.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Which goes back to Tuesday again. Had we cut him over Haack because of concerns over experience (for example), the NFL PA wouldn't have been able to do a thing.

That's my understanding.  The Bills could have said "you've been improving with the holding Araiza, but holding is more important than punting to us and we're gonna go with the experienced hand here" and no one could blink.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Actually, that's pretty well spelled out in the NFL Players Code of Conduct.  Criminal charges -> Commissioner's Exempt List while it sorts out.

I read in an article that I posted in this thread that the NFL already said they wont do anything because this happened before he was drafted.

Presser still hasn't happened.  Not surprising, though.  I don't think there is any way they can send McDermott back out there with no updates or new information from last night.  While it's his job, he drew the short straw there and was kind of just thrown to the wolves with no way to say much of anything.  I can't imagine them doing that to him again.  Bet they are tying some things up so he at least has something to say, but who knows.  Would not be surprised at all if they announce a cut or suspension.  Regardless, it feels like we're going to hear something much sooner than later no matter that they decide to do.

Edited by sven233

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Right. McDermott can't come out and say Araiza was cut for this controversy because being sued by someone (even for an alleged rape) is not cause to cut a player. Araiza may well be on the team till cutdowns. It's obvious he won't be a Bill.

I think it's more nuanced than that?  The Bills (to my understanding) could cut a player for "conduct detrimental to the club" for being sued over something that happened while they were an NFL player, or for a criminal investigation while they are an NFL player.  The Bills could have parted ways with Shady McCoy over the nightclub brouhaha and subsequent civil suit.

I think the problem in this case is that the conduct in question happened before Araiza was drafted, and the CBA prohibits NFL or club discipline for that.

Edited by Beck Water

150 pages ago, I thought the Bills could get away with keeping him on the roster while all of this was sorted out.  If the fanbase has spent 246+ pages discussing allegations about a punter over a period of 48 hours or so... I think it's safe to say this is enough of a distraction for the team that he has to be let go. 

To compare, there were only 107 pages of posts in Josh Allen's draft thread:

Old farts that remember "Last Post Wins" had 781 pages, and I would imagine that has the board's record for number of posts in a single thread:

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, sven233 said:

Presser still hasn't happened.  Not surprising, though.  I don't think there is any way they can send McDermott back out there with no updates or new information from last night.  While it's his job, he drew the short straw there and was kind of just thrown to the wolves with no way to say much of anything.  I can't imagine them doing that to him again.  Bet they are tying some things up so he at least has something to say, but who knows.  Would not be surprised at all if they announce a cut or suspension.  They have to at least take some action at this point.

They said they were going to have a press conference. They need to address this and follow through. Bills cannot just blow this off tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, sven233 said:

Presser still hasn't happened.  Not surprising, though.  I don't think there is any way they can send McDermott back out there with no updates or new information from last night.  While it's his job, he drew the short straw there and was kind of just thrown to the wolves with no way to say much of anything.  I can't imagine them doing that to him again.  Bet they are tying some things up so he at least has something to say, but who knows.  Would not be surprised at all if they announce a cut or suspension.  They have to at least take some action at this point.

I would bet you a box of donuts that McDermott comes out and talks 100% about yesterday's game.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, sven233 said:

Cut down day is 3 days away. Monday they will sign another punter. He will "compete" with Araiza. Araiza gets cut Tuesday. NFLPA has nothing to say.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Isn’t that exactly what cuts are? The coaches make gut feeling calls on who earned a spot etc etc 

EDIT, my bad I thought it said they CANT cut him cause they feel like it. 
apologies 

I think it opens them up to issues with nflpa. i dont think they all get lumped in together, id think MA agent could contact player assoc and make his argument for him being cut for non performance reasons.

just because the bills could deal with that doesnt mean they should open themselves to it. i think if we need to argue our case as to why he was cut, and need to pretend its not for the off the field stuff, itd be better to cut him amongst a pile of other players. make it look more routine then singling him out in a cut, when they arent ready to decide the others. just mho

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/25/2022 at 6:16 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

There are always many sides to these stories. I'd be so afraid of being a single guy and trying to hook up in this day and age. Especially if you have some notoriety. Sad situation if any of it is true. 

You are very accurate I personally know women who have played that game. If this girl really had this happen to her may she get every single penny she deserves but there are a ton of Amber Heards out there. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I read in an article that I posted in this thread that the NFL already said they wont do anything because this happened before he was drafted.

I thought someone posted something this morning which offered a potential loophole, though it's the commissioner alone who can place someone on the list. It's not something any team can request.