Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Given all the attention around Araiza's spot on the roster I think it is only fair that the Bills make an exception to this rule. The fans deserve to know what's going on.

What does us knowing an hour or two sooner change?

• Agree 1

Just now, Believer said:

Agree… But as owner, he should be visible, and like McD, express empathy for all involved… and his confidence in the ongoing internal investigation and upcoming decision process… Doubt Jerry Jones would be hiding… Unimpressed…

Some well written press release or statement isn’t changing anything. It’s not like he’d take questions or give any info. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s pretty vague.  It shows that the Bills did in fact speak to her lawyer.  It’s safe to say her lawyer told them plenty about the allegations…he doesn’t say that he made his client available to them and he doesn’t say what he would have told the team if they called back that he didn’t tell them initially. I think you’re putting too much faith in the word of the esteemed Mr Gilleon.

I think that her attorney had every reason to share the details they had early on to press for a more favorable result.  I think either the Bills didn't ask the right questions, or they sat on information that later on proved to be too toxic to live with.

22 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

"This is slighly skeevy" is not a reason to release a player.

When people focus on this particular aspect of the story, it tells me that they made up their mind 48 hours ago and are now just looking for reasons to support the conclusion that they lept to.  If this entire story was just "Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old when he was in college," it would not be a story.

You're right, the whole story isn't Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old when he was in college. 

It's, Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old girl he just met in the bushes outside of a house where she would later possibly be forcibly raped by several of his teammates, and he is the one being accused of bringing her into the room where it happened. 

But that's not why this thread is nearing 300 pages. These allegations were made public as early as December 2021 and the Bills don't seem to have known anything about it when they drafted him.

And after learning of the allegations, the Bills chose to name him the starter apparently hoping the whole thing would stay buried. 

Whether Matt Araiza is guilty or even charged is up to the DA and judge/ jury to decide. 

As Bills fans, we have every right to know why due diligence wasn't done. Or if it was, and someone decided to take a gamble that it would never see the light of day. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

If he is practicing, or not, just opens things up to even more rumors and questions before mcd speaks 

If he's practicing that means he's on the team and they're standing by him. If he isn't he's either off the team or they're taking him away while they collect more info. Either way we have a right to know as fans of the team. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So they were informed of the situation from her lawyer but don't have her perspective on the situation, so is he terrible at his job or something?

I agree it might be uncommon for a team to interview the victim in this type of situation, but I do think it speaks to the depth of their investigation (which is to say, pretty shallow) that they met once for a few hours, and never asked a single follow up question after that day.

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm not trolling, but don't recontextualize my statement. There's no need for less accurate descriptions.

I apologize for misinterpreting the your statement, I thought I read it as you saying rape is worse than murder and it was a hill you would die on.

Sometimes my comprehension isn’t where I’d like it to be.

Just now, HappyDays said:

If he's practicing that means he's on the team and they're standing by him. If he isn't he's either off the team or they're taking him away while they collect more info. Either way we have a right to know as fans of the team. 

If he practices today but gets cut at final cut downs? 

• Disagree 1

I don't believe anybody right now.  Least of all the alleged victim.  I just read something in her "journal" where she says that, after several people took turns having sex with her, she was flipped over and someone performed oral sex on her.  

First of all, I don't know any people who would take turns having sex with anybody.  But I don't know that there is a person on the planet who would have oral sex with a woman who has been having sex with several men.  That particular embellishment, in my opinion, is nonsense. 

Her lawyer strikes me as a scumbag.  He's blaming everybody.  Is it possible that his client is lying?  

This whole thing is funky.

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If he practices today but gets cut at final cut downs? 

That would be incredibly weird and I doubt McDermott would allow this to happen. They're either standing by him or they're not. If he's practicing today that tells us their decision.

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You're right, the whole story isn't Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old when he was in college. 

It's, Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old girl he just met in the bushes outside of a house where she would possibly be forcibly raped by several of his teammates, and he is the one being accused of brining her into the room where it happened. 

But that's not why this thread is nearing 300 pages. These allegations were made public as early as December 2021 and the Bills don't seem to have known anything about it when they drafted him.

And after learning of the allegations, the Bills chose to name him the starter apparently hoping the whole thing would stay buried. 

Whether Matt Araiza is guilty or even charged is up to the DA and judge/ jury to decide. 

As Bills fans, we have every right to know why due diligence wasn't done. Or if it was, and someone decided to take a gamble that it would never see the light of day. 

Maybe they truly believe he’s innocent of the main accusation but did not fully understand the ancillary details involved.  

Details on their own, likely wouldn’t get a guy cut for misconduct. 

Now they’re in a tough spot because people can jump on the 17 angle or STD angle without context, as they are amplified in conjunction with the main allegation.  Also now their trust is eroded in him independent of the main accusation.  

Im going to go ahead and assume that quite a few players in the league have things that teams hoped stayed buried.. and stayed buried.  

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, julian said:

I apologize for misinterpreting the your statement, I thought I read it as you saying rape is worse than murder and it was a hill you would die on.

Sometimes my comprehension isn’t where I’d like it to be.

I actually said that gang rape is worse than murder. I didn't say anything about sexual assault.

Just now, HappyDays said:

That would be incredibly weird and I doubt McDermott would allow this to happen. They're either standing by him or they're not. If he's practicing today that tells us their decision.

I can see that side of it. But I can also see them being business as usual and releasing him at final cuts as well. It’s 100% possible Mcdermott doesn’t really talk again today. At least not about that. 

18 minutes ago, Believer said:

Come on, Pegula… Step up… Your franchise is in crisis… and your Pegula Sports crisis management team is abysmal… You need to assure the team, the community, and your fellow owners you have some plan… So far, you are failing the test of leadership…

In our age of instant gratification it’s not always popular, but sometimes you have to let the story come to you. before saying things on the record.

im guessing bills investigators and strategists are having many meetings today to either review new content or reconfirm old beliefs they had 

2 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I agree it might be uncommon for a team to interview the victim in this type of situation, but I do think it speaks to the depth of their investigation (which is to say, pretty shallow) that they met once for a few hours, and never asked a single follow up question after that day.

There is nowhere near enough information to conclude anything about the thoroughness of the Bills’ investigation.  The only thing we know is that after communicating with the plaintiff’s lawyer, and having an opportunity to investigate further, they went ahead and cut Matt Haack.  As some have pointed out, that might not mean much because talent like Haack’s isn’t exactly rare anyway…