Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

7 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I think it goes without saying that a team can find a serviceable punter far easier than a franchise QB. 

Most of the people who are taking the "wait and see" stance right now are doing so because a man's life and reputation are at stake, not because we're concerned with punting the ball in 2022. 

Which is why my thought would be a suspension.   He can concentrate on his personal life, while the team concentrates on a game.  When it is all resolved and him and the players around him are able to focus entirely on football; then you make a determination about his future with the Bills.   ...and presumably at that point, they would know the more complete details of the situation and could more clearly sypport their decision.

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Everything changed after the Kavanaugh hearings.  

This is fact and not to be political.

Despite Duke Lacrosse and countless others - if you don't believe the woman you support rape.

Irrational virtue signaling and a need to sound morally superior when all they are is emotional ignorant people.  

Everything in this country is **s backwards.  

I understand the problem in sexual assault and how traditionally its difficult to first of all women to come forward.....and then get charges let alone convictions.  

That absolutely does not mean you just "believe all women."  I want to, but we need evidence. 

In the case of Watson, we have evidence pointing directly to him of assault and harassment.  Criminal?  I don't know.  Face of your franchise?  Nope.  

In the case of Araiza we have an allegation of him having sex with a woman claiming she was raped by other men at a party where apparently no one knows anything?

No Criminal charges.  No day in court.  Too many questions still.  

All this being said, it doesn't matter if McD believes they were lied to about any major detail.  

That will be the reason for firing him when they get around to it later this weekend. 

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

100% of the currently public info originated with the accuser.  It may indeed be the whole story.  If not, and somehow Araiza is telling truth to the Bills and they cut him for PR, how does that go over in the room when 3 months from now when more facts come out?  Yes, the press will drop it, but as McD pointed out there are people involved.  

The correct remedies are so simple to apply once the truth is known.  Personally I’d cut him even if he had nothing whatsoever to do with the incident but covered it up for his buddies.  If he lied at all to the Bills, bye.  Obviously anything beyond that he should rot in jail.  If he is exonerated but still cut, I think that is a bad look in the room.  People matter.  The truth matters.  

I just find it absolutely gross people have different standards based on positional importance. It truly is a sign of a sick culture we live in aka certain "lives" matter while others dont.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

100% speculation here….

But the thing I find the most interesting is the recorded phone call. Supposedly he admits to hooking up. This call came 10 days after. But he also makes the comments that she should be tested for STDs.

As guys we know that type of comment is made after the fact. Meaning Matt did hook up with her, but then later found out she slept with other guys…. That’s where things went bad. 

If it was a g@ngg b@ng he lead supposedly, is it more likely he telling her to get tested for STDs cause he has STDs? Or basically telling her yeah we hooked up, but I know you hooked up with more dudes that night you should get tested. Like a yeah we hooked up, but you hooked up with a bunch of guys and (he didn’t like that) told her to get tested.

Remember this call was 10 days after the night in question, Matt was more than willing to answer the phone and talk. Most guys I’d assume would not even answer if they truly knew what had happened.

I think that is Matt’s side of this…. I just don’t know why someone would “lead a gng bng” then tell someone to go get tested for diseases……

I think that's an assumption you're making based on being a normal dude who does normal dude things and has normal dude feelings - you want some, but you're not committing assault and you would feel guilty and avoid the victim if you did something wrong.

I don't think that people who commit gang rapes think the same way.  Note I am not saying that MA committed a gang rape, just that your assumptions about a ***** rapist being unwilling to talk to his victim on the phone afterwards are provably invalid.

https://www.si.com/college/2015/02/09/vanderbilt-rape-case-brandon-vandenburg-cory-batey

When the police contacted the woman on June 26, three days after the assault, she says that she at first told them what Vandenburg had told her had happened: In the afternoon on the day of the assault, she testified that “he told me that I had gotten sick in his room and he had to clean it up and that it was horrible and that he had to spend the night taking care of me and it was horrible.” In response to hearing this, she said, “I apologized. I was embarrassed.”

This is a young woman whose brutal gang rape was captured live on surveillance and cell phone videos.  The trial left pretty much no question about what happened and who was involved.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I get preventing the LAMP threads. We are on page 227 of a story that is 2 or 3 days old. There is no conversation because it is just a bunch of different topics. A thread about “which punters may be available” is certainly appropriate IMO. I watched good conversation get thrown into here immediately. I’m not reading 227 pages to piece together those thoughts. I’ll follow along on twitter I guess. 

Maybe you can tag Scott if you agree but should there be a facts and sources thread only? With tweets from relevant folks, and linked/sourced information? 

No hot takes or anything?

I think this makes sense for people just looking for updates. 

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Maybe you can tag Scott if you agree but should there be a facts and sources thread only? With tweets from relevant folks, and linked/sourced information? 

Great Idea BUT, you know how this place goes.

30 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yeah, I think if they cut him now, the problem pretty much goes away, and the dropoff from Araiza to whomever they sign off the street probably won't win or lose any ball games. The dilemma is that it would be unfair to Araiza, if he's in fact innocent.  And of course, he could turn out to have a great career for another team, if he's exonerated. 

And that's all true, but employment is not about what's fair to every employee.  It's about what best serves the interests of the employer, and in this case, the team.  Sure, good employers do care about the people who work for them as people, but in a confliction between the interests of the business and the interests of the employee, the business interest wins.  Every time.  You don't get to be a head football coach in the NFL by being a softy OTJ.

I think McDermott is a straight-up guy and doesn't want to kick Araiza to the curb if he's innocent, but I also think part of being straight-up may be a hard look at whether Araiza was actually fully honest and forthcoming with the team both during the pre-draft process and when the June 3rd LA Times story came out and he decided to hire a criminal defense attorney.

And if McDermott learned new information in the last 24 hrs, it may be a good guess that the answer to that is "no".

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

Which is why my thought would be a suspension.   He can concentrate on his personal life, while the team concentrates on a game.  When it is all resolved and him and the players around him are able to focus entirely on football; then you make a determination about his future with the Bills.   ...and presumably at that point, they would know the more complete details of the situation and could more clearly sypport their decision.

I believe it's been stated that a suspension or placement on the exempt list isn't possible because the incident happened before he was an NFL player. 

I think Araiza has more to worry about if he intentionally misled or outright lied to the Bills in the weeks leading up to Thursday, because that's going to get him cut regardless of anything else to do with the case. 

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

Great Idea BUT, you know how this place goes.

Auto banhammer of 1 month if you break the rules in the thread? 

@SDS what say ye?

A thread of news only for this? Tweets from media, articles sources, and the Bills only.

No hot takes and a message that says discussion in this thread...? 

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

I believe it's been stated that a suspension or placement on the exempt list isn't possible because the incident happened before he was an NFL player. 

I think Araiza has more to worry about if he intentionally misled or outright lied to the Bills in the weeks leading up to Thursday, because that's going to get him cut regardless of anything else to do with the case. 

Ok. If you can’t suspend him, that complicates my “simple” solution.    Maybe pay him under the table to fake an injury so he can go on the PUP list or something.   Lol. I don’t know.  I just wanna talk football and not this.  

But i would remove him from the locker room so football becomes the emphasis of the team.  

• Vomit 1

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Everything changed after the Kavanaugh hearings.  

This is fact and not to be political.

Despite Duke Lacrosse and countless others - if you don't believe the woman you support rape.

Irrational virtue signaling and a need to sound morally superior when all they are is emotional ignorant people.  

Everything in this country is **s backwards.  

I understand the problem in sexual assault and how traditionally its difficult to first of all women to come forward.....and then get charges let alone convictions.  

That absolutely does not mean you just "believe all women."  I want to, but we need evidence. 

In the case of Watson, we have evidence pointing directly to him of assault and harassment.  Criminal?  I don't know.  Face of your franchise?  Nope.  

In the case of Araiza we have an allegation of him having sex with a woman claiming she was raped by other men at a party where apparently no one knows anything?

No Criminal charges.  No day in court.  Too many questions still.  

All this being said, it doesn't matter if McD believes they were lied to about any major detail.  

You don't need to believe all women, but they should all be taken seriously and be heard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Has he claimed he never set foot inside?

You can't have the guy on the practice squad traveling with the team right now.

Araiza's attorney said it wasn't a party, it was just a gathering of football players, and that Matt Araiza never stepped foot inside the house that night.

At the same time, his attorney isn't denying that he had sex with a girl he just met outside the house. So he was just there to hang out in the yard and have sex? 

https://twitter.com/Matt_Bove/status/1562958512015101958?t=w9miHXJR1w7BuJQPujRjPA&s=19

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The fact is Matt should be the one having a press conference with his attorney. If he doesn’t want to answer sensitive questions due to legal issues that is  understandable but he should be out there telling people he didn’t do this or else public perception is the kid is guilty of rape. 

So your saying the real concept is "you have the right to remain silent, anything you say may be used against you... , but if you stay quiet we will all assume that is an adminsion of guilt".  Very Orwellian. Which is sadly where are society is at these days. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Araiza's attorney said it wasn't a party, it was just a gathering of football players, and that Matt Araiza never stepped foot inside the house that night.

At the same time, his attorney isn't denying that he had sex with a girl he just met outside the house. So he was just there to hang out in the yard and have sex? 

https://twitter.com/Matt_Bove/status/1562958512015101958?t=w9miHXJR1w7BuJQPujRjPA&s=19

I noticed his lawyer is contradicting himself a LOT. Couple of amateurs trying to get famous.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

I know this may come across wrong but I think the average user of this site meets criteria that weren't of the average college student to relate to the average collegiate athlete.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

yea this thread is near worthless for the story at this point 

the right thing for Araiza to do is retire "to focus on defending my reputation to avoid being a distraction for the Bills" and unretire when he clears his name.  He should do this before the Bills have to cut him and make any derogatory comments about him. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1