Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I haven’t read all of this thread, hence don’t pretend to know all discussion points.   But, from the Bills’ perspective, and as a fan of this team, it seems fairy simple to me.  He’s a rookie punter, that has contributed 1 preseason punt.   He in no way represents the franchise or the entire fanbase.  The team should give him as much time as needed to deal with this personal issue and suspend him until such time that that it is resolved in a court of law.    In the meantime, sign a new punter and move on to the season.  Any questions should then be directed to him or his lawyer, and we all get back to talking about football. 

I think that eats a roster spot.  That’s a no no.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

And you think it goes away if they cut him? They can drop him right now and Mcdermott will still be hounded every chance for as long as this stays in the news cycle. It’s too late to avoid the distraction element 

If they unload him within the next day or two, yeah, it'll still go away pretty quickly.  If that's their move, though,  they need to get it done soon.  The longer he stays,  the more those lingering questions will persist afterward. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

News cycles in this country aren’t even 24 hours anymore.  And people generally have the attention span of a five year old.  

This is true, but it’s also assuming her lawyer doesn’t have more info he’s willing to drop if his number isn’t met. 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

It might be too late. I fully understand they can lighten the pressure by the media by releasing him, but I don’t think that takes them off the hook now 

If he’s not even on the team what hook are the on and how would it effect them after about 5 minutes?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not suggesting this is true, but it is possible that Araiza played a more peripheral role in the true story.   But when Jane Doe thought through the financial opportunities, she decided to make him the main character.  And it's possible that Dan Gilleon gave her some hints to help her in that process.   

Duh

hes not taking this case unless there is money….

him being a pro athlete or coming from a wealthy family.

most civil cases end in civil settlement  will go away money.  He tried thst first.

a more credible case is if  criminal charges come then followed by a civil case.  When civil come first …it says there is a flimsy case so it’s a choice of do you settle for X or sre you willing to pay Y for your legal fee+ possible decision against you.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Not if Goodell allows them to place him on the reserve/suspended list. I’d be surprised if the team isn’t pursuing that permission. 

It might be too late. I fully understand they can lighten the pressure by the media by releasing him, but I don’t think that takes them off the hook now 

I think they can credibly claim they didn't have all the info until recently. If he's no longer with the team I don't think there's too much they can be blamed for going forward.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The chiefs drafted a guy who was convicted of throwing his pregnant GF down the stairs. No one in the media cared. He’s a celebrated player now. I’m just saying, why was that. 

https://www.sportscasting.com/tyreek-hill-brutally-beat-and-choked-his-pregnant-girlfriend-in-college-but-never-saw-any-jail-time/

Honestly the most disturbing part of this thread for me is the notion that "he's just a punter" -- and of course, the implication thereof that if he were of a position more important to winning games, we could afford to weather the media storm until the truth came out or potentially even after. 

Just goes to show most people's moral high ground is directly proportional to how useful someone is to their needs. Funny how that works. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

This is true, but it’s also assuming her lawyer doesn’t have more info he’s willing to drop if his number isn’t met. 

It's too late for that.  The goal now is to ruin him and to have him incarcerated.  He had his chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

If he’s not even on the team what hook are the on and how would it effect them after about 5 minutes?

Because the media is going to hound them for every detail. What they knew, when they knew, everyone is already suspicious of the timeline. 

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Perhaps it does.  But if you think there’s any chance he’s innocent, i think you accept that to show “support” for your teammate.   Or just cut him.  But either way they beed to distance themselves and the team from this situation.  

• Disagree 1

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Excuse me, but allegedly beating your gf and tweeting a racism are about 6 or 7 “current things” ago.   Please keep up.  We’re onto sexual assault allegations as the unforgivable sin now. 

There isn't the correct reaction to react to this. It is difficult to "like" it because it's absurd though true. It's not something to laugh at or cheer. Jeesh, but yeah... Sentiment here is spot on. 

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Remember, the "recorded phone call" has not actually been released to the public...all we know about it is what Gilleon has told the public about what's on the tape, and I would not trust a word he says. 

Araizas lawyer I think spoke on it as well…. I could be mistaken 

I think at the end of the day Araiza is gonna point the finger at the other 2 guys and say exactly that

2 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Honestly the most disturbing part of this thread for me is the notion that "he's just a punter" -- and of course, the implication thereof that if he were of a position more important to winning games, we could afford to weather the media storm until the truth came out or potentially even after. 

Just goes to show most people's moral high ground is directly proportional to how useful someone is to their needs. Funny how that works. 

Or that he's just a garbage truck driver, or a factory worker, or ....

This is a person we are talking about. And we are willfully ending his career over speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Could the Bills be at risk of a libel lawsuit if they cut him for this and he is in fact innocent. 

No unless they actually say something directly and knowingly false.  As an employer they can just release him. Doesn’t mean they don’t pay him portions of his contract but all depending. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

100% of the currently public info originated with the accuser.  It may indeed be the whole story.  If not, and somehow Araiza is telling truth to the Bills and they cut him for PR, how does that go over in the room when 3 months from now when more facts come out?  Yes, the press will drop it, but as McD pointed out there are people involved.  

The correct remedies are so simple to apply once the truth is known.  Personally I’d cut him even if he had nothing whatsoever to do with the incident but covered it up for his buddies.  If he lied at all to the Bills, bye.  Obviously anything beyond that he should rot in jail.  If he is exonerated but still cut, I think that is a bad look in the room.  People matter.  The truth matters.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3