Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Don't be the Cleveland Browns...

The Buffalo Bills are not desperate for a punter! 

Distance the franchise from this media circus and eliminate any doubt about where this team stands on wrong behavior from players.

Besides, a bigger story is the backup QB punting the ball well. 😋 JMHO

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

And you think it goes away if they cut him? They can drop him right now and Mcdermott will still be hounded every chance for as long as this stays in the news cycle. It’s too late to avoid the distraction element 

Within a reasonable time frame, and relative to the current situation, of course. By a huge margin.

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

And you think it goes away if they cut him? They can drop him right now and Mcdermott will still be hounded every chance for as long as this stays in the news cycle. It’s too late to avoid the distraction element 

Yes, I think it does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it's minimized if they cut him.  McDermott can stand and look the reporters in the eye and say "Matt Araiza is no longer a member of this team.  I'm here to discuss the members of this team and answer your questions about football." then stonewall "any questions about football?" just like Jordan Poyer did when asked about Covid protocols and vaccines.  The press quickly stopped asking him.

Then the next piece of news will roll down the pike and this story will fade from the news cycle.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

Within a reasonable time frame, and relative to the current situation, of course. By a huge margin.

I don’t agree. They are now linked until this is over. The hounding might not be as bad but they’ll still receive questions every chance until it’s resolved. 

11 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Are you ready for this topic to dominate evey press conference and interview and discussion with/about the Bills all year, and potentially beyond? It's a major, major distraction. 

The chiefs drafted a guy who was convicted of throwing his pregnant GF down the stairs. No one in the media cared. He’s a celebrated player now. I’m just saying, why was that. 

https://www.sportscasting.com/tyreek-hill-brutally-beat-and-choked-his-pregnant-girlfriend-in-college-but-never-saw-any-jail-time/

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

I don’t agree. They are now linked until this is over. The hounding might not be as bad but they’ll still receive questions every chance until it’s resolved. 

Totally disagree. If they cut him and claim they didn’t know the extent of the allegations until the suit was filed, then this thing goes away pretty quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The chiefs drafted a guy who was convicted of throwing his pregnant GF down the stairs. No one in the media cared. He’s a celebrated player now. I’m just saying, why was that. 

I don't know, but I don't want to play that game with my team, honestly.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, DapperCam said:

Totally disagree. If they cut him and claim they didn’t know the extent of the allegations until the suit was filed, then this thing goes away pretty quickly.

I can understand that. I just think the window for them to wash their hands of this closed already. I believe they’re linked until this finishes even if they cut him right now. 

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I agree that they (knowingly or not) definitely did this to themselves. They should be doing damage control right now to limit their exposure going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think it's minimized if they cut him.  McDermott can stand and look the reporters in the eye and say "Matt Araiza is no longer a member of this team.  I'm here to discuss the members of this team and answer your questions about football." then stonewall "any questions about football?" just like Jordan Poyer did when asked about Covid protocols and vaccines.  The press quickly stopped asking him.

Then the next piece of news will roll down the pike and this story will fade from the news cycle.

Yeah, I think if they cut him now, the problem pretty much goes away, and the dropoff from Araiza to whomever they sign off the street probably won't win or lose any ball games. The dilemma is that it would be unfair to Araiza, if he's in fact innocent.  And of course, he could turn out to have a great career for another team, if he's exonerated. 

Edited by mannc

100% speculation here….

But the thing I find the most interesting is the recorded phone call. Supposedly he admits to hooking up. This call came 10 days after. But he also makes the comments that she should be tested for STDs.

As guys we know that type of comment is made after the fact. Meaning Matt did hook up with her, but then later found out she slept with other guys…. That’s where things went bad. 

If it was a g@ngg b@ng he lead supposedly, is it more likely he telling her to get tested for STDs cause he has STDs? Or basically telling her yeah we hooked up, but I know you hooked up with more dudes that night you should get tested. Like a yeah we hooked up, but you hooked up with a bunch of guys and (he didn’t like that) told her to get tested.

Remember this call was 10 days after the night in question, Matt was more than willing to answer the phone and talk. Most guys I’d assume would not even answer if they truly knew what had happened.

I think that is Matt’s side of this…. I just don’t know why someone would “lead a gng bng” then tell someone to go get tested for diseases……

Edited by CEN-CAL17

I can understand that. I just think the window for them to wash their hands of this closed already. I believe they’re linked until this finishes even if they cut him right now. 

News cycles in this country aren’t even 24 hours anymore.  And people generally have the attention span of a five year old.  

• Agree 1

There is no way this organization is going to defend this guy saying he didn’t know she was underage so we support him. If there is evidence of sex between the two, he is gone. I don’t want this team turning into the Brownies mentality.

I haven’t read all of this thread, hence don’t pretend to know all discussion points.   But, from the Bills’ perspective, and as a fan of this team, it seems fairy simple to me.  He’s a rookie punter, that has contributed 1 preseason punt.   He in no way represents the franchise or the entire fanbase.  The team should give him as much time as needed to deal with this personal issue and suspend him until such time that that it is resolved in a court of law.    In the meantime, sign a new punter and move on to the season.  Any questions should then be directed to him or his lawyer, and we all get back to talking about football. 

2 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

100% speculation here….

But the thing I find the most interesting is the recorded phone call. Supposedly he admits to hooking up. This call came 10 days after. But he also makes the comments that she should be tested for STDs.

As guys we know that type of comment is made after the fact. Meaning Matt did hook up with her, but then later found out she slept with other guys…. That’s where things went bad. 

If it was a ***** he lead supposedly, is it more likely he telling her to get tested for STDs cause he has STDs? Or basically telling her yeah we hooked up, but I know you hooked up with more dudes that night you should get tested. Like a yeah we hooked up, but you hooked up with a bunch of guys and (he didn’t like that) told her to get tested.

Remember this call was 10 days after the night in question, Matt was more than willing to answer the phone and talk. Most guys I’d assume would not even answer if they truly knew what had happened.

I think that is Matt’s side of this…. I just don’t know why someone would “lead a *****” then tell someone to go get tested for diseases……

Remember, the "recorded phone call" has not actually been released to the public...all we know about it is what Gilleon has told the public about what's on the tape, and I would not trust a word he says. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think a factor in all of this is the messaging in the locker room.  The "we're a family that loves each other" talking point that they get a lot of mileage out of.

If Matt is innocent of these allegations, which many say doesn't matter since the distraction isn't worth a punter, can they really just cast him aside due to public pressure?

I can see that especially since they just cut Haak not even a week ago and I’m sure someone in this organization got wind of this before that cut happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I agree that they (knowingly or not) definitely did this to themselves. They should be doing damage control right now to limit their exposure going forward.

It might be too late. I fully understand they can lighten the pressure by the media by releasing him, but I don’t think that takes them off the hook now 

• Like (+1) 1