Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s been reported everywhere (just read it in NYT) and her lawyer is saying so. 

Ok. I’d read (can’t remember where) that he refused to allow her to be interviewed, which would not surprise me.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I do! Give me a guy that can kick a ball consistently 80 yards and I'll turn into Chuck Knox with Tyrod Taylor and WIN!

😉 😜 

Look at this guy, trading JA17 for prime Ray Guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The “down payment” is small potatoes in the big picture.  It’s hard for me to understand that you believe this after watching McDermott last night.   Did you watch the post game presser?  

No doubt he was surprised by details that are now out there and he feels  this is much more serious now than before.  He clearly feels that information was he missing or was inaccurate?  I hope no one associated with the Bills had this information and did not flow it to him.     

Even if they think Araiza might win the case, I don’t think they want the circus that goes with it.   

I see them picking up a punter from other teams cuts and moving on. 

So you’re ok with people losing their jobs for allegations? Are you a fan of the Salem witch trials way of life or something? 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Where do I say that the Bills should ask the lawyer to do their investigation lol wtf?  

Simply interview the plaintiff.  

You can’t interview the plaintiff if it’s not disclosed to you.  And the you keep saying the Bills investigation was not thorough because they didn’t talk to the plaintiff.  

But:  

1.  You don’t know if the 3rd party PI spoke at all to the plaintiff.  
2.  The plaintiff has already submitted conflicting versions of the events.  She repeatedly stated in her own journal and in statements that she does not know who led her to the room or who was in the room.  Then files a civil suit naming 3 specific people and who exactly led her in and raped her. 
3.  The lawyer has complained on social media that the Bills didn’t run the investigation through him.  He didn’t want the Bills talking directly to his client, he wanted the Bills to talk to him and he had personally contacting the Bills for weeks trying to incentivize a cash settlement.  
4.  The plaintiffs statements at this stage are going to just be the claims in the civil suit.  

Point is, he is not a criminal attorney, he is a civil attorney.  Big difference.  It’s not in his best interest to let anyone talk to his client, he isn’t building a case, he’s trying to win money and the best way to do that is incentivize all parties into settling, something her attorney has been doing and has on his own accord out things on social media confirming that.

So, you can’t talk to a Jane Doe if that person isn’t disclosed.  And you don’t do an investigation and involve a civil attorney in said investigation.  

So I think people need to cut the Bills a little slack here.  They are getting blamed for a lot of things they really shouldn’t be getting blamed for IMHO.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I woke up to two complaints on my Saturday:

1. Is no where safe from the rape accusations talk?

2. We need 25 (or 137) different topics all talking about nuanced aspects of this issue. (Which, in my experience, is totally realistic given this community's self-discipline to stay on topic and love of nuanced discourse.)

The only thing I know for certain, is we are handling it wrong.

You are handling it correctly. The alternative is that everyone will feel compelled to start a new thread about what HE/SHE just learned about this case, and wanted to let us all know. 

The whole first thread list  page would be about a rookie Punter

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Ok. I’d read (can’t remember where) that he refused to allow her to be interviewed, which would not surprise me.

nope

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Absurd... But we might have a generational leg here. 

OK now I know you're trolling me.  Even if his leg is 'generational', his lack of hang time sucks for the NFL and is still a legitimate concern.

You'd have a better point if he played almost any other position.  Or if he were a Yugoslavian mule named Gus who could kick 100 yard field goals. 😄

p_gus2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

I woke up to two complaints on my Saturday:

1. Is no where safe from the rape accusations talk?

2. We need 25 (or 137) different topics all talking about nuanced aspects of this issue. (Which, in my experience, is totally realistic given this community's self-discipline to stay on topic and love of nuanced discourse.)

The only thing I know for certain, is we are handling it wrong.

@Kirby Jackson makes some great points I generally agree with. Also, really glad you’ve been back lately Kirby!

But I understand that becomes a nightmare for you and @Simon who seems to be working overtime on this thread specifically. It’s certainly nuanced. I appreciate your efforts. 

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hey... I never said that! 😆 

Most important player on the field. 😂

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Limiting all of the Araiza talk to this thread is absurd/stupid @SDS. There are SO many layers to it. There will be 25 different conversations at once. How the Bills are handling it is VASTLY different from “who they might replace him with?” You also have the layer of “how much did they know and when?” “What did they know when they released Haack?” There are so many different angles here I can’t understand why it is all being jammed into one conversation?!? This thread will be 400 pages and talk about 137 different things.  

The “over moderation” led me to a couple of year hiatus. I enjoy coming here to talk Bills but want to “get in and get out.” I’m curious as to people’s opinions on very specific topics. I don’t care to hear anyone chime in on “how the Bills are handling this” or “giving him the benefit of the doubt” or anything like that. I have an opinion on that and it isn’t changing and will be a hostile discussion (but one that warrants a place here). I ONLY care to hear people’s opinions on other options if Araiza is gone. I know that others feel the same way. We should ABSOLUTELY allow multiple Araiza threads right now. It is THE biggest Bills topic with lots of arms and legs. My $.02.

One of the things I find very annoying is these merged threads.  You read the title of the 2nd thread and it's something I was interested in, but now you need to go to this other thread that's maybe 10 pages long and try and find what/when this merged part came in.  It would be OK if you click on the merged thread and it would take you right to that post.

And never consistent in when there are 5 different threads and when there aren't.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Ariza is finished.

He has been found guilty by the court of public opinion, and even if he is found innocent by the facts,  I doubt he plays in the nfl anymore. 

Do the names Vick , Lewis , Watson, beast mode, Antonio brown, Terrell Owens , Michael Irvin , the Vikings r b who whipped his children with cords ring any bells for you?  Pretty sure public opinion didn’t keep them out of the if you got talent , you can play league.  Hey owners with happy endings, and those videoing cheer leaders changing , and coaches with volumes of racial emails still made it back in the league!   If contrite , a talented virtual baby first offender will most likely play again.  Our country tends to give second chances if someone is accountable and sincerely apologetic and seeks personal redemption/ change. If a recidivist sociopath like Brown got several chances , I am going to believe if found guilty yet contrite , he has so much talent his career is still salvageable.  If Watson can still walk out on field after 66  cases , I think Ariza , while facing a tough path , could recover.  Now if found criminally guilty , his punting skills may not be enough to overcome such despicable behavior.  Never say never!  😉😊

30 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Ariza is finished.

He has been found guilty by the court of public opinion, and even if he is found innocent by the facts,  I doubt he plays in the nfl anymore. 

Do the names Vick , Lewis , Watson, beast mode, Antonio brown, Terrell Owens , Michael Irvin , the Vikings r b who whipped his children with cords ring any bells for you?  Pretty sure public opinion didn’t keep them out of the if you got talent , you can play league.  Hey owners with happy endings, and those videoing cheer leaders changing , and coaches with volumes of racial emails still made it back in the league!   If contrite , a talented virtual baby first offender will most likely play again.  Our country tends to give second chances if someone is accountable and sincerely apologetic and seeks personal redemption/ change. If a recidivist sociopath like Brown got several chances , I am going to believe if found guilty yet contrite , he has so much talent his career is still salvageable.  If Watson can still walk out on field after 66  cases , I think Ariza , while facing a tough path , could recover.  Now if found criminally guilty , his punting skills may not be enough to overcome such despicable behavior.  Never say never!  😉😊

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You can’t interview the plaintiff if it’s not disclosed to you.  And the you keep saying the Bills investigation was not thorough because they didn’t talk to the plaintiff.  

But:  

1.  You don’t know if the 3rd party PI spoke at all to the plaintiff.  
2.  The plaintiff has already submitted conflicting versions of the events.  She repeatedly stated in her own journal and in statements that she does not know who led her to the room or who was in the room.  Then files a civil suit naming 3 specific people and who exactly led her in and raped her. 
3.  The lawyer has complained on social media that the Bills didn’t run the investigation through him.  He didn’t want the Bills talking directly to his client, he wanted the Bills to talk to him and he had personally contacting the Bills for weeks trying to incentivize a cash settlement.  
4.  The plaintiffs statements at this stage are going to just be the claims in the civil suit.  

Point is, he is not a criminal attorney, he is a civil attorney.  Big difference.  It’s not in his best interest to let anyone talk to his client, he isn’t building a case, he’s trying to win money and the best way to do that is incentivize all parties into settling, something her attorney has been doing and has on his own accord out things on social media confirming that.

So, you can’t talk to a Jane Doe if that person isn’t disclosed.  And you don’t do an investigation and involve a civil attorney in said investigation.  

So I think people need to cut the Bills a little slack here.  They are getting blamed for a lot of things they really shouldn’t be getting blamed for IMHO.  

The plaintiffs lawyer says the Bill have not asked to speak to her.   He contacted THEM weeks ago to give them a heads up that his client was filing a suit against Araiza. If he’s looking for big money, why would he take the chance that the Bills would cut him after hearing this? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

OK now I know you're trolling me.  Even if his leg is 'generational', his lack of hang time sucks for the NFL and is still a legitimate concern.

You'd have a better point if he played almost any other position.  Or if he were a Yugoslavian mule named Gus who could kick 100 yard field goals. 😄

p_gus2.jpeg

Are you suggesting we dig up dead Don Knots and have him play punter a la weekend at Bernie’s?  Love the plan! 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

@Kirby Jackson makes some great points I generally agree with. Also, really glad you’ve been back lately Kirby!

But I understand that becomes a nightmare for you and @Simon who seems to be working overtime on this thread specifically. It’s certainly nuanced. I appreciate your efforts. 

Most important player on the field. 😂

When JA17 goes 3 and out inside his 20, yes the punter is!

• Vomit 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The third party PI should’ve been able to at least find out some semblance of the story, but also that she was 17, no?

Im not advocating destroying a 21 year old for having sex with a 17 year old that allegedly was portraying herself as 18.  Anyone who is, I’m sorry… but I hope your child never goes to parties in college if you’re expecting ID checks before sex.  

However, if the Bills knew that the story of gang rape accusations were out there… and maybe they truly believe, or believed at the time, based on their findings that he’s innocent.   How did they think they could withstand the public onslaught from media and Twitter of both “rape” and “sex w a minor”.  

They could both be true or the rape could be false and he was misled on age … but how on earth could the Bills have believed they could navigate both of those allegations?

America in 2022… where the accused not only needs to be innocent, but able to prove that innocence within 24-48 hours. 

If he did it, then **** him and cut him yesterday with no looking back. 

If he didn’t.. well, we may never know. 

No disrespect at all intended here, but you seem to be making assumptions here on what was or wasn’t found before we know what Bills PI discovered.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, all valid comments.  

24 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I feel like the fact that he was in street clothes and the plate was taken off his locker tells us everything we need to know.

The 'missing nameplate' is only the visiting locker room setup by panthers did not put names on lockers for I'd expect any of the non dressing players.   I bet if no locker was ' nameplated'  for any of the starters like Josh we won't assume he's not making the final 53 roster.

Edited by AuntieEm