Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

If the Bills don't think he's worth their high moral character to take a chance on him, then every other team should maintain that high character standard.  No other team should go scumming. 

IF he lied to the Bills. 

Not sure what his side of story is, but how much worse can it get for the Bills?

Bills can use him and still claim the moral high-ground. 

Serious question. Why do fans think this will derail the season? 

Do fans think Josh is sat thinking about this and not focused on the Rams?

Is Von Miller going to be so distracted he won’t be able to rush the passer?

I get it, it’s a bad look and bad for the Bills organizationally but I don’t get how it effects the players. Can anyone point me in a direction where something bad has happened to a football team PR wise and it’s completely derailed a season? Spygate was embarrassing for the Pats**, they proceeded to win 18 straight games. They went 12-4 and went to the AFC championship after Deflategate. Both of those situations had more to do with football and the game itself more than what a single player has done off the footballs field.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Putting aside the way more important human side of this (the victim, Araiza, the others accused, etc.), this is me talking not as a decent human being, but simply as a fanatical fan of the Buffalo Bills. At the risk of being tied at the TBD stake to be verbally torchered, here goes . . .

What is obvious is this is an organizational failure, or at least a serious break in the system. Something went wrong in the process of evaluating this player's fitness for the team. There are people in the organization who are paid good money to do just that. But something broke. It seems undeniable at this point that there was publicly accessible knowledge of the accusation long before the draft. The Bills either missed that--which is inexcusable; or ignored that--which is even worse than missing it; or did know it, evaluated it, and concluded there was not enough there to stop them from drafting him.

Moreover, since the draft, and as recently as three weeks ago, they were presented with more information. Someone in the organization--how could Beane and McDermott not be involved at this point? And ownership?--accessed it, and decided there was not enough there to stop them from going ahead with the player involved (evidence by the release of Haack).

What I concluded from the events of the past few days, and most certainly from McDermott's press conference last evening, is something was either missed, or was withheld to them? Maybe? Maybe? that is all on the player and his people? In either case, the organization, the systems of the organization, failed the team.

Now I concede, it's possible they did know everything and concluded the evidence was false or there was nothing to this and it was worth the risk/reward to go forward with the player.

BUT, if that is the case, again, this is a failure of the organization to read the zeitgeist of the day (see the Browns and the public relations disaster that situation has been for them and the NFL). How could they not see what a sh*** show was coming and the potential distraction (disruption? derailment?) this could be to the team--especially for a team with such high potential and expectations.

Your job as leaders is to be sure all potential --and this is the key thought -- "controllable" or "preventable" distractions are avoided. It appears there were multiple exit points in the process that could have been, but were not taken.

So, what I conclude, is based on the information and the press conference, that their is a system break or communication problem somewhere in the Bills front offices, and that is an organizational failure. I think the emotions and response of McDermott last night clearly shows that.

If my theory is right, this is a watershed moment for this team. If there are some internal systems that are broke, or more likely, inadequacies, then those have to be fixed. It takes time to build Trust, but it can be lost in moment. Not to be over dramatic, but this is the moment for the Bills.

I do not want to the Bills to be generally categorized with the Cleveland Browns. Is it fixable? Yes. There will be damage, so what happens over the next few days will be telling.

As a fan, Please! Please! Please! Buffalo Bills, fix it now and do not let this derail the entire season.

. . . .

Again, this is simply me as a fan. Forgive me for any form of insensitivity this communicates to the people involved, or to anyone on this board who has ever been effected by similar horrible events. That in no way reflects my heart towards you of the people of these tragic circumstances.

My sense of this is that the organization didn't properly investigate the allegations beginning about a month ago.  Then, after Araiza refused to settle, plaintiff decided that, with Araiza having destroyed her dignity, she would destroy Araiza.  It's been a pretty successful 36 hours in that respect. 

In the meantime, the Bills, having not thoroughly investigated this issue, cut Araiza's competition at punter.  At that point, plaintiff had all the opportunity she needed to put the Bills in a bind, generate a major, multi-news cycle story, and leverage Araiza, his employer, the San Diego PD, and anyone else with a stake in the issue.  McDermott is left holding a bag containing part of this mess, and he's got to balance sticking with Araiza long enough to have the support of the locker room (can't look like he cuts and runs on mere allegations) with sticking too long with a guy accused of a heinous crime who, from all appearances, wasn't candid with his employers about the situation.  

Add in the human element of a guy who has an intelligent wife (who's probably deeply upset about this), an intelligent female boss (likely also a touch perturbed), two young daughters (I can relate there; I'm appalled), and a football team already dealing with a tragedy, and it's a real mess. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Serious question. Why do fans think this will derail the season? 

Do fans think Josh is sat thinking about this and not focused on the Rams?

Is Von Miller going to be so distracted he won’t be able to rush the passer?

I get it, it’s a bad look and bad for the Bills organizationally but I don’t get how it effects the players. Can anyone point me in a direction where something bad has happened to a football team PR wise and it’s completely derailed a season? Spygate was embarrassing for the Pats**, they proceeded to won’t 18 straight games. They went 12-4 and went to the AFC championship after Deflategate. Both of those situations had more to do with football and the game itself more than what a single player has done off the footballs field.

heck NO punting is not relevant when you score on most drives right? 😉

/sarcasm

derail the season no way these men will put this in their rear view mirror and move forward towards their goals. a rookie derail the season I think not

Edited by muppy

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Let's hope not. 

But we are also the fan base. They should care what we think. We buy the tickets and the jerseys. One way to force an owner to make a change is by hitting their wallet. In the scheme of things, just like all NFL players he is replaceable. Doesn't McDermott preach that "next man up" mentality?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I will say this after McDs presser: if Araiza lied about something to them, about anything, combined with how both lawyers appear to be trying to make this a social media battle, he’s done.

He better be done.  At this point he is a nothing but a distraction for a team that's ready to roll.  

Edited by Mark92
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Putting aside the way more important human side of this (the victim, Araiza, the others accused, etc.), this is me talking not as a decent human being, but simply as a fanatical fan of the Buffalo Bills. At the risk of being tied at the TBD stake to be verbally torchered, here goes . . .

What is obvious is this is an organizational failure, or at least a serious break in the system. Something went wrong in the process of evaluating this player's fitness for the team. There are people in the organization who are paid good money to do just that. But something broke. It seems undeniable at this point that there was publicly accessible knowledge of the accusation long before the draft. The Bills either missed that--which is inexcusable; or ignored that--which is even worse than missing it; or did know it, evaluated it, and concluded there was not enough there to stop them from drafting him.

Moreover, since the draft, and as recently as three weeks ago, they were presented with more information. Someone in the organization--how could Beane and McDermott not be involved at this point? And ownership?--accessed it, and decided there was not enough there to stop them from going ahead with the player involved (evidence by the release of Haack).

What I concluded from the events of the past few days, and most certainly from McDermott's press conference last evening, is something was either missed, or was withheld to them? Maybe? Maybe? that is all on the player and his people? In either case, the organization, the systems of the organization, failed the team.

Now I concede, it's possible they did know everything and concluded the evidence was false or there was nothing to this and it was worth the risk/reward to go forward with the player.

BUT, if that is the case, again, this is a failure of the organization to read the zeitgeist of the day (see the Browns and the public relations disaster that situation has been for them and the NFL). How could they not see what a sh*** show was coming and the potential distraction (disruption? derailment?) this could be to the team--especially for a team with such high potential and expectations.

Your job as leaders is to be sure all potential --and this is the key thought -- "controllable" or "preventable" distractions are avoided. It appears there were multiple exit points in the process that could have been, but were not taken.

So, what I conclude, is based on the information and the press conference, that their is a system break or communication problem somewhere in the Bills front offices, and that is an organizational failure. I think the emotions and response of McDermott last night clearly shows that.

If my theory is right, this is a watershed moment for this team. If there are some internal systems that are broke, or more likely, inadequacies, then those have to be fixed. It takes time to build Trust, but it can be lost in moment. Not to be over dramatic, but this is the moment for the Bills.

I do not want to the Bills to be generally categorized with the Cleveland Browns. Is it fixable? Yes. There will be damage, so what happens over the next few days will be telling.

As a fan, Please! Please! Please! Buffalo Bills, fix it now and do not let this derail the entire season.

. . . .

Again, this is simply me as a fan. Forgive me for any form of insensitivity this communicates to the people involved, or to anyone on this board who has ever been effected by similar horrible events. That in no way reflects my heart towards you of the people of these tragic circumstances.

Its interesting now looking at Beane's PC after releasing Ford and his 'review the Pocess for reviewing players' comments - if he also had Araiza on his mind when he made those comments.

McD's PMT interview is also strange in this context, him being in such a jovial mood and making the 'great kid' comment (when he could have stuck with something more true to form 'The young man needs to prove himself in this league yada yada") - contrasted with his tone last night on the subject.  On the surface, as surprising as it would be, it does give an impression he learned more recently

It appears to me that the Bills are trying to get this right for everyone, and it's costing them in todays world of no patience and lack of fact gathering...just immediate reaction and demand for action. 

I think the best scenario for them at this point is to suspend him with pay until the organization gets all the information needed to do what they believe is right.

Araiza should be thankful that the Bills are taking this on the chin for him, and he should be as cooperative and helpful to their fact finding process as possible.

Most teams would have cut him. The Browns and chiefs would keep him, regardless

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

1) He should have made better choices.

2) Her civil case isn't about the money. Whatever amount is decided upon is up to him to come up with.

3) The Bills should have practiced what they preached when it comes to culture.

On 1, as I understand it, he says his 'choice' was he went to a party, had consensual sex with a girl who was 21, led her to a room to rest when she asked him to do so, then left the house with witnesses agreeing this is the case. Based on his defence, he did not make 'bad' choices. If every 21 year old was imprisoned for doing this there wouldn't be enough room.

Of course, there is a counter allegation which says very different from above but a lot of posters seem desperate to believe either the allegations or the defence rather than allowing it to play out.

Just now, Donuts and Doritos said:

McD clearly didn't enjoy that presser & the Q he was getting hit w/. Don't think he wants to go through that again or have any of his players exposed to Q about it (which they will be as long as Araiza's on the team). It's a clear distraction. Putting everything else aside Araiza's done for that reason alone. They're going to remove the issue & move on.

And he’s a friggin punter on top of it.  The Bills seemed more concerned about his ability to hold kicks.  

I’m sure McDermott is seething that they just cut Haack for this guy and now Haack is already on the Colts.  Makes him and the organization look like a JV outfit.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Or if they belong to a union.

The player's union may be able to file a grievance, but it's unlikely to do much good - all the Bills need to be able to prove is that he misled / withheld information and he's got no case.  Anyway, worst case scenario the Bills will be forced to pay his ~$700,000 contract this year.  A small price to pay to move on from this.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BTB said:

Keeping Araiza will mean a media circus with him in the center ring, all season long. Unless there is a way to suspend him until this gets cleared up, he has to be cut…even if it means later on, he gets signed by another team and becomes a ten year all-pro.  

I think this is the reality the Bills are facing.  They are in the middle of a media ***** storm and the storm will pass as soon as Araiza is cut.  Yes, there are questions that need to be answered.  Bills organization has taken a PR hit.  I'd hate to be the person who approved the team's "thorough investigation" statement.

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree that this social media driven tendency to rush to judgment rather than letting the process play out is really regrettable, but there is no question that what is out there looks bad for Araiza. 

Personally I both believe that the allegations are likely proveable and that the burden still lies on the plaintiff (and / or state) to prove it and guilt or civil liability is for a real court not the court of public opinion. 

That said if, as looks likely, Araiza has lied to the Bills then he is done here in a football sense regardless of what happens later in terms of the allegations against him. 

This is the out and the way that McDermott gets out of this mess.  The Bills can say that the legal issues should run their courses.  But the separate issue is that Araiza was dishonest with the team about this incident, and that error, which is inconsistent organization ethos, is the ground for termination. 

It's telling to me that Araiza didn't wear the team logo at the stadium last night, and that McDermott didn't defend him (or at least suggest that brakes should be tapped in this situation) in the press conference.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Bingo. Beane either never relayed the full investigation findings to McDermott or worst yet never relayed any of the findings to McDermott. And the emotions that McDermott showed in the press conference and the fact that the one question he did not skirt and instead answered was one regarding finding out new information in the last 24hrs could point to riff where McDermott was left in the dark.

Find it implausible Beane withheld any information from McDermott…

Much more likely Ariaza gave new information to McDermott and Beane after the plane landed in Carolina… and they confronted him with the LA Times article…