Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Pretty sure the Bills feel they were lied to- either directly or through omission.

VERY certain Araiza’s career with the Bills is FINITO!

He’ll be canned by Monday.

I agree. I fully expect McD has more info than we do and that pressure was telling. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I think McDermott said exactly the right thing at the PC. He wants to be proactive, find the truth and then decide what to do based on that.

Unfortunately, this should have been done when they were scouting the player or at least when the girls attorney made the team aware of the accusations. It seems like they did a half baked investigation pre-draft and then put their heads in the sand when the attorney contacted them.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, nkreed said:

I disagree completely with the second half. This is a tough thing that he is dealing with, walking the tight rope of saying something about it without saying anything at all.

I don't believe there's a disconnect here, I think it's just an extremely difficult position for him to be in.

Something not being considered much in this press conference commentary, is maybe, just maybe, Sean McDermott is incredibly upset by the gravity of the allegations and the potential that a young woman was savagely attacked. Maybe his demeanor was an honest reaction now that the game's over and he can finally and/or must finally face this horrible situation. I thought he was fighting tears several times. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Damn, like DAMN. 

He seems exhausted, furious, and heartbroken. Some of the ways he didn’t answer a question and his mannerisms were more telling than if he actually said yes or no.

Just a nightmare situation for a coach. Trying to take the team to the super bowl and your getting asked loaded questions about a young girl being raped. Yes this is bigger than football obviously, but I still feel for mcD. Can't imagine having to get asked about a young woman getting raped on national TV. 

• Agree 7

16 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Polygraphs are not accurate and not admissible in court because of their inaccuracies 

so you’re saying law enforcement constantly uses an inaccurate tool to elimate suspects? Please provide proof to your claim. I can certainly provide proof of the contrary if you want me to take it there.

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Throwing people under the bus publically has never been McDermott's MO, but part of my take on McDermott's presser is that McDermott (within the last 24 hrs) has reason to believe that the investigation was not sufficiently thorough or independent OR results were not shared completely/neutrally, and he is furious about that.

Quietly, after the problem is solved and the team moves forward, heads will roll.

Tru on not his style to throw anyone under the bus, i guess i meant a bills spokesperson should say who it is/was and that they are fired.

Ill have to listen to his presser,  but according to your post seems like a better reaction to the situation than, 'hes a good guy'

Just now, vincec said:

Honestly, I think McDermott said exactly the right thing at the PC. He wants to be proactive, find the truth and then decide what to do based on that. Unfortunately, this should have been done when they were scouting the player or  at least when the girls attorney made the team aware of the accusations.

The actual police just concluded their investigation, I'm not sure what you want a football team to have done differently.

21 minutes ago, just1hugheser said:

Whoever did the 'thorough investigation' should be hung out to dry

theres worry in me that we have the sweetest situation ever and there could be tension between beane and mcd, but i think thats paranoia and bills ptsd creeping in. Beane would be delegating the investigatiob out to a specialized employee(s), and making his decision based on that info with mcd. I think someone in that office is about to have the worst meeting of their life, and a box to put their chitt in.

Speaking strictly about the player personnel angle..

If I’m McDermott and I found out new info that alludes to Araiza not being truthful with the team, I think that would makes things easier for him.. at least you have a basis to release him.  

It’s the limbo of not knowing what’s true and what’s not that would way heavy on the normal, non-social media, human being.  Firing someone who you believe is being truthful because the mob demands it would gut anyone with integrity. 

My guess, Araiza’s people may have misled or omitted some details independent of the main allegation.  Enough to damage their trust in him, and he’ll be gone tomorrow. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The actual police just concluded their investigation, I'm not sure what you want a football team to have done differently.

What has changed in the last 24 hours? It seems like they are suddenly able to get new information now that the backlash has hit and the urgency is there.

I think Araiza is a goner.  McD was definitely upset about the situation.  My guess is Araiza told the Bills some of what happened but sanitized some of the details and left other stuff out altogether.   The civil lawsuit contradicts what Araiza told the Bills and provides more explicit detail.  McD talked about finding out the truth and that's going to take some time and it may never fully come out.  The Bills don't have much time.  This story is all over the media and it's giving the Bills organization a bad look.  Time to cut bait.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I just watched McDermott’s press conference after the game, and in my opinion there is ZERO chance Araiza is a member of the Bills going forward. Anyone who watched McD talk and still thinks Araiza, guilty or not, will be apart of this team is crazy. I absolutely hope he is cleared of any charges or accusations, but the Bills are super bowl favorites and there is ZERO chance McD is going to do anything to risk that.  I know the Bills hoped Araiza  was a future hall of famer and game changer. But he will be gone very very soon. McD is obviously disappointed in the background checks and statement done by the organization and that’s what he means by “more work needs to be done” which he stated numerous times. This all sucks because I thought Araiza could be a big part of this franchise going forward, but McD wants NO part of all this. Araiza is gone, I’d bet my life on it. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

so you’re saying law enforcement constantly uses an inaccurate tool to elimate suspects? Please provide proof to your claim. I can certainly provide proof of the contrary if you want me to take it there.

“Constantly” is a stretch.

The polygraph has its uses but it can be defeated and it can be misinterpreted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I also noticed that McDermott stopped short and rephrased to avoid referring to MA as "one of our players"

Possibly. It could be confirmation bias too. (Not accusing you of anything purposely. Psychologically, humans don't want to be the odd one out when in a crowd)

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Something not being considered much in this press conference commentary, is maybe, just maybe, Sean McDermott is incredibly upset by the gravity of the allegations and the potential that a young woman was savagely attacked. Maybe his demeanor was an honest reaction now that the game's over and he can finally and/or must finally face this horrible situation. I thought he was fighting tears several times. 

And I agree with your assessment. He was in a tough spot no doubt.

Just now, vincec said:

What has changed in the last 24 hours? It seems like they are suddenly able to get new information now that the backlash has hit and the urgency is there.

That's fair. I'm certainly not going to defend any of the statements they've made in the last 24 hours. 

24 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Personally, that doesn't jive with his first statement. Specifically the part where McDermott says that his "heart and prayers go out to all involved, and that includes Matt..." This came on the heels of the Skurski question about Matt being a great kid. 

Is there a chance that the Bills know more information and that Ariza is being slandered and McD is angry at that?

(I'm not saying that's the case)

i dunno. i think mcd's the type that could say it and mean it. matt on the surface could seem like a good kid, that he liked, and hes sad for the blown potential kinda thing. kid who coulda had it all and threw it away over a bad decision

• Agree 2

I think tomorrow will be a pivotal day.  If Matt is still on this team 24 hours from now, then I think it was more about it’s just an awful situation and difficult spot for McD in the press conference to field questions about such a horrific event a young woman went through.  

If Matt is cut tomorrow, I think it’s a safe guess that there was some new information exposed to them today that they were not comfortable with and probably didn’t previously know.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4