Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

My axe to grind is that there are zero people who are disputing whether this girl was gang raped for 90 minutes and a player on the Bills is involved at any level. At the baseline of facts that everybody agrees on, Matt Araiza had sex with a girl that was so drunk he needed to go help her lay down.

My axe to grind is that there are 121 pages of old men who don't believe (respect) women.

There is no agenda. And your insinuation that such a stance of believing women and not wanting that trash in my town or on my football team is disgusting. 

Mango, it's not that we don't respect woman.  But I've personally seen people falsely accused of things and suffer immeasurably because of it.  We all know the Brian Banks story - he went to jail for a false rape accusation.  Sadly, sometimes people tell terrible lies about each other.   

I don't know if she was raped.  If she was, I don't know if Araiza was involved.  I'd love to see all the evidence the police have collected.  Some of it may be damning.  Maybe it's exculpatory.  Let's see.   

But if he is guilty, you're right for calling him "trash" and I hope he goes to prison.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

This is the court of public opinion.  While it is true you can sue for anything it is also true that it is not typical for a 17 year old to go to the police and claim she was gang raped when it did not happen.  People can make judgements about what is reported....look a the DW thing, Browns fans turning in their fan cards, he has not been charged with a crime.   The girl was 17, she went to a party and was in and out of consciousness while a bunch of animals take turns with her...that crap is just crazy.  But I also understand it is common.  There is a huge market for drugs that put girls in this state.  Girls have to make sure they watch they drink at all times, and have a cover on it.  This stuff happens at all colleges.  She goes to the police and they make phone calls with Matt.  Why would he tell her she needs to be worried about chlamydia?  She was 17 and this happened in California....there are no Romeo and Juliet laws.  One way or another he did the wrong thing here....and it sure seems more than statutory.   First telling her to get tested then saying I dont remember anything...yeah right.  How stupid is he for even having that phone conversation?  

it’s actually quite common for young women to claim rape when sex occurs for various other reasons.  Sometimes  itwas rape, it could have bern regrettable sex or she might have bern impaired somehow and don’t remember. Some come out after where she thought relationship and it was a one night stand. To him.

the police doing phone calls is illegal on many levels without consent or warrant.  If they did this they should be fired.

if he knew about the sex and maybe knew who did it and found out this person has an std would be a wa6 fir him to say to get checked.  She might be accusing him because he was a person she remembers or now knows because he got drsfted in the nfl so $$$ reappears in her eyes.

if she did a rape kit at a hospital right after the incident the police are informed about this.

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

a team can cut a player for any reason. 

No, they cannot.  They are bound by the terms of the CBA.  They can cut a player, but the player has the right to file a grievance if he believes the team's action violates the CBA.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

You appear to be basing this extreme opinion--kick this guy off the Bills' roster--on what's been said by a plaintiff's lawyer and what's been alleged in the plaintiff's complaint.  I don't think that's prudent.  If I'm wrong about that, tell me what else you're basing your opinion on. 

I mean I get it if your opinion is that any guy who has drunk sex with a girl at a college party is a dirt bag, I won't say that's not valid. 

But you'd probably have to jetison 80% of the Bills roster if not the league if you think most of these guys aren't guilty of that act. 

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

My axe to grind is that there are zero people who are disputing whether this girl was gang raped for 90 minutes and a player on the Bills is involved at any level. At the baseline of facts that everybody agrees on, Matt Araiza had sex with a girl that was so drunk he needed to go help her lay down.

My axe to grind is that there are 121 pages of old men who don't believe (respect) women.

There is no agenda. And your insinuation that such a stance of believing women and not wanting that trash in my town or on my football team is disgusting. 

when there is concrete proof that Matt was involved I'll jump on the let him fry campaign.

I do not see 121 pages on men who do not believe women. What I see is 121 pages of let it paly itself out and let the facts come forward

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is pretty cut and dry with California state law. Hes on tape admitting to having sex with a 17 year old. That's illegal and a felony if hes over 3 yrs older than she was. There are no if, ands, or buts about it. The sooner we move on from this the better.

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Disagree 7

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Jump to conclusions much?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

No, they cannot.  They are bound by the terms of the CBA.  They can cut a player, but the player has the right to file a grievance if he believes the team's action violates the CBA.

Conduct detrimental to the team. Next. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

I mean I get it if your opinion is that any guy who has drunk sex with a girl at a college party is a dirt bag, I won't say that's not valid. 

But you'd probably have to jetison 80% of the Bills roster if not the league if you think most of these guys aren't guilty of that act. 

And again, almost 100% of the information that's publicly available at this point is coming from a plaintiff's lawyer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Awwufelloff said:

This is pretty cut and dry with California state law. Hes on tape admitting to having sex with a 17 year old. That's illegal and a felony if hes over 3 yrs older than she was. There are no if, ands, or buts about it. The sooner we move on from this the better.

There are because in the state of california, there is a different precedent if the person 16-17 is shown to have lied about their age. Thats where his lawyer is going to go. 

1 minute ago, Awwufelloff said:

How do you know he's on tape admitting that?  Has the tape been released or are you relying on what a plaintiff's lawyer is telling you is on the tape?  And your legal conclusion is simply wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Matt Araiza had sex with a girl that was so drunk he needed to go help her lay down.

It has not been proven that Araiza knew she was too drunk to consent, or that she was too drunk to consent, at that part of the night. There's no timeline listed in the lawsuit at all. All we know for sure is that they had sex, and then at some point she was allegedly raped by a group of men while blackout drunk. Nothing about that framing tells us that Araiza committed a crime or did anything wrong at all.

The issue I have with a lot of these title IX cases in general is that a lot of times it involves two individuals who are both very drunk and I don't think it's fair that one party is automatically guilty in that scenario. That kind of logic implies that sex is something men do, and something women have done to them. I don't think that's a fair standard. If Araiza and the girl were both drunk and hooked up and she ended up regretting it, I don't believe that is a crime. And obviously we don't know for sure exactly how malicious it was. It is entirely possible that she was clearly blackout drunk and he took advantage of her in which case of course he committed a crime, but there is no evidence of that assertion.

The focus really should be on the gang rape and how culpable Araiza was in participating or knowing that it happened. Those are the facts that need to come out before a decision is made.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

There are ifs and buts...  

"A statutory rape case is a California “wobbler” offense. This means that the crime can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the facts of the case."

www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/laws/age-of-consent/

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve not read much of this thread but yikes there are a ton of nuances to this matter. For example, you’d have to believe the Bills have some cause of action if this was known to player but undisclosed at the time of the draft…much like an injury. Has this been brought up? (Not that there’s much the organization could get from a recent college grad.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mattymafia said:

Also because hes the only one anyone has ever heard of

You do realize that the investigation and evidence was gathered long before most people ever heard of him right? He probably had a similar amount of notoriety as the other two players referenced.

• Disagree 1

Is it possible the light she spoke about in the room at the time shows video evidence to the contrary of rape and the police or school have it?

Also is it possible that the rape test came up with no results after being two days out?   Tests/samples can be botched or tampered with. 

Like everyone else I am confused at the timeline and no charges.   I am mostly concerned for the girl and her well being and disgusted at the alleged accounts. 

Edited by buffalostu2