Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

3 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Yes and all of this plays straight with Mr. Greaseball Lawyer doing a Twitter dump trying to get the Buffalo media to order up the public square flogging.

Meh. I guess. It isn't greaseball lawyer specific. The SOP for NFL franchises for stuff like this is: 

1. Pay to make this go away before it reaches the public. 

2. Make sure local police provide reasonable protection. 

Araiza didn't pay to make it go away. Police haven't released results of the victims rape kit to the victim. They are certainly doing their part. 

There is no special "process" or "culture" in Buffalo. The Bills are an NFL franchise doing NFL things. Same stink, different poop. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Watson can be punished under the CBA. Why are you believing just one side of the story? 

The League can't touch Araiza. The Bills knew about this and it appears they are backing his innocence. Let it play out. Watson's complaint played out.

Watson didn't play for a year and has been suspended for another 11 games while it was "playing out"

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

The issue I see is that it's very difficult to get to the real "truth of the matter" in these types of cases, and during the entire period of time that the team is in the process of attempting to do so, there is a giant distraction hanging over their heads, and a lot of damage being done to their reputation. 

Suppose this ends the way these things so often do -- with a settlement out of court and an NDA being signed. No real answer of what happened or didn't happen, no real closure. Meanwhile, weeks of national discussion, distraction, outrage, and damage to the Bills' image of "family and culture" has been done. But now their punter is "free and clear" legally and they get to keep him. Was it worth it? 

Dare I say it but the Steelers reputation didn’t seem to be overly harmed long term despite the presence of Roethlisberger, who was instead affectionately called Big Ben. I’m not saying that’s right for a moment and I seriously hope Beane and co have good grounds for sticking by Araiza, otherwise their feet should be held to the metaphorical fire. But will it have that much of an impact?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why do people have such a hard time understanding the difference between laws of the state and the practice of private industry when it comes to things like rights? He was no right to be treated as "innocent" by his employer until someone proves that he's guilty. His behavior has negatively impacted the franchise. That's reason enough for termination.

I mean if you want to live in a dystopian world where mega corps take away your livelihood because it affected their reputation and not based on truth then sure.

I am for cutting him if the tape is as it says it is and he admitted to statutory rape on the phone, but you are saying just the mere accusation causing the reflection of a poor image on your company? Dystopian nightmare and we are already living it.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

"Beyond all doubt."  That would be insane. If even only one of 12 jurors had a 1% doubt, the case would be dismissed.  Virtually no criminal would be convicted.

In the USA, the standard is "reasonable doubt." What are they doing in the UK?

Apologies, you’re right, beyond reasonable doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, StHustle said:

lol…if men started being offended when referred to as “males” what would you say?

I'll say, I'll believe it when I see it.  I've never heard "males" used as a noun to describe men.

Look, I believe you've mentioned you have a public-facing position - some sort of event management?  Just be aware of how some people see that usage and why.

To some people, "’Ive been around this stuff and no very well how females get in these situations" is like the warning rattle of a rattlesnake, signalling a critter that could bite you; it correlates in their experience, to a man who has certain demeaning attitudes about girls and women.  Note that I'm not saying you yourself have those attitudes, but if you have a public-facing position, you get to knowledgeably decide whether or not that's baggage you choose to attach to yourself, or whether you want to "pick your fights" and change your speech pattern to not match that warning rattle.

LOL shades of "The Talk" I had to have with my Girl Kid.  And I'm sorry you faced a situation of false accusations, that had to have had a big life impact on you.  I do think it biases your viewpoint on this situation quite a bit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

At this point, both. 

I made a post earlier with a link where the then Erie County DA found a number of inconsistencies with her statements, and the accuser no longer wanting to cooperate with the DA or police, thus the case being dropped. So that would lead me to believe that Kane would be more innocent than guilty. 

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

Watson didn't play for a year and has been suspended for another 11 games while it was "playing out"

Wrong...he didn't play a year due to his legal issues (he held out BEFORE he was out). The team kept him out and paid him.

27 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't think it matters morally, but in California the age of consent is 18 and they don't have a "Romeo & Juliet" exception.  Technically a 21 year old who has sex with a 17 year old in the Golden State is guilty of statutory rape regardless.

Again, not saying it matters, because this particular angle doesn't matter to me at all.  In most states, something like this would be legal.  CA law is just a little on the weird side. 

Just looked this up since I am seeing a lot of misinformation..

What is the law in California?

In California, the age of consent is 18 years old.18 Unlike most other states, California does not have a close-in-age exception or Romeo and Juliet Law for its statutory rape laws.

However, California allows defendants facing sex crimes involving a minor to raise a mistake of fact defense. They can present evidence that they had a reasonable and actual belief that the minor was 18 or older.19 If there is sufficient evidence to prove this reasonable and actual belief, the burden shifts to law enforcement to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it did not exist at the time of the offense.20

Essentially, they don't have the Romeo and Juliet law in California but they do have this " I didn't know they were underage law. " If you can reasonably argue you didn't know the person was under age (which he was drunk and obviously didn't card her and there are claims she told people she was 18.) it is on her / law enforcement / her legal team for burden of proof in regards to  this. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

I mean if you want to live in a dystopian world where mega corps take away your livelihood because it affected their reputation and not based on truth then sure.

I am for cutting him if the tape is as it says it is and he admitted to statutory rape on the phone, but you are saying just the mere accusation causing the reflection of a poor image on your company? Dystopian nightmare and we are already living it.

It really isn't hard to not put yourself in a situation where accusations could be made. For an organization that preaches culture and has passed on talent for character issues in the past, it is really dissapointing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

I hate to do this but I've been busy past two days and haven't been able to really keep up and this is now 100+pages. 

Has ariza or his lawyers issued an official statement denying the allegations?

Yes...and videos

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Oh so now she (maybe) wasn't even raped?

In the eyes of the law, at this point an alleged rape took place. If they press charges, then they do believe it took place and, probably more importantly, they feel they have enough evidence for a conviction. Officially if some or all are found guilty, then a rape did take place; if all are found not guilty then it didn’t.