Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

For a guy called "Logic," I find it odd that you've created a false binary choice.  I don't want the Bills to "stand by Araiza" nor do I want them to ditch the guy because he's not worth the headache.  Both options you present are noxious.  I want the Bills to investigate the matter and then do the right thing.

It's flat out morally, ethically wrong to pull a Brian Banks on Araiza and crap on him because of a false accusation.  But if the accusation turns out to be true, the right thing to do is cut him.  At this point it doesn't seem the Bills - or police - know enough to make an informed decision based on the preponderance of evidence.  

The issue I see is that it's very difficult to get to the real "truth of the matter" in these types of cases, and during the entire period of time that the team is in the process of attempting to do so, there is a giant distraction hanging over their heads, and a lot of damage being done to their reputation. 

Suppose this ends the way these things so often do -- with a settlement out of court and an NDA being signed. No real answer of what happened or didn't happen, no real closure. Meanwhile, weeks of national discussion, distraction, outrage, and damage to the Bills' image of "family and culture" has been done. But now their punter is "free and clear" legally and they get to keep him. Was it worth it? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

She wrote in her journal the day after the incident that she told him she went to high school. 

Because she wrote that in journal that is now been released by a Civil Suit lawyer looking to get her some money. 

Lets see what the defense  has because from what I read she was not telling people this, and suppposedly has witnesses for this

Edited by ddaryl

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

For a guy called "Logic," I find it odd that you've created a false binary choice.  I don't want the Bills to "stand by Araiza" nor do I want them to ditch the guy because he's not worth the headache.  Both options you present are noxious.  I want the Bills to investigate the matter and then do the right thing.

It's flat out morally, ethically wrong to pull a Brian Banks on Araiza and crap on him because of a false accusation.  But if the accusation turns out to be true, the right thing to do is cut him.  At this point it doesn't seem the Bills - or police - know enough to make an informed decision based on the preponderance of evidence.  

This right here. The Bills have to exercise their own due diligence and determine if he did it or not. They might not get a 100% definitive answer, however, they should be able to get enough information to make an informed decision one way or the other. 

However, the Bills should NOT act on an accusation alone. Too many people in this country jump to conclusions based solely on headlines and quick sound bites. Fortunately, the Bills organizations seems to be beyond that. 

Whatever the outcome, hopefully the truth prevails. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I understand what you mean - an outcome in court is always on the basis of probability off the back of the evidence even, in criminal cases, it should be beyond all doubt. But guilty people have no doubt walked free ad innocent people have definitely spent time behind bars. Or even executed.

"Beyond all doubt."  That would be insane. If even only one of 12 jurors had a 1% doubt, the case would be dismissed.  Virtually no criminal would be convicted.

In the USA, the standard is "reasonable doubt." What are they doing in the UK?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

If that is the case then surely there would be room for Araiza to be cut on those grounds, rather than line up against the Panthers tonight?

Unless they’re waiting for the last round of cuts when they could pick up one of those punters.  Also they’d want to get the new information and that could take a little time. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Buffalo Bills aren’t the justice system. They have no obligation to wait. They’ll act based on what’s best for the organization.

"Innocent-until-proven-guilty" isn't just a judicial concept, it's an American value. 

I don't expect businesses to require the same burden of proof necessary in a court of law.  But I think that, morally and ethically, they shouldn't terminate employees without a preponderance of evidence. 

I don't think the Bills should cut Araiza because of the media storm.  I do think they should cut him if their investigation concludes Araiza is probably guilty.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, cv05 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but check this interview out at 1:07:00 of McDermott from a few days ago:

"...He's a great kid" This is all after the Bills are said to know about it. I think the Bills knew before the draft (i.e. 3rd punter selected (why?), discussions online of it back in December). The Bills just don't actually care. He'll bomb a couple 80 yarders tonight and McDermott and company will sleep well.

It wouldn’t be great but it’s not impossible that Beane knew but McD did not.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ah yes, it's the victim who's to blame. Right, right.

Disgusting.

You really want to go to bat for this lawyer?

You do know that you can have an opinion of this story, and independently think the lawyer is trash.  In fact, if you support the woman, you probably should hope she gets a new lawyer. 

Unhinged screenshot guy who follows a bunch of OnlyFans girls on Twitter doesn’t scream “serious rape lawyer”. 

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

You're right.

Watson was never accused of participating in a violent gang rape for 90 minutes.

Was Araiza?

I read the initial article and didn't see where he was accused of participating in the actual gang rape in the house bedroom, yet a lot of people seem to be making that statement in this gargantuan thread. 

7 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

She wrote in her journal the day after the incident that she told him she went to high school. 

Did you look at that journal entry closely?  It really looks like a word had been erased, and Grossmont written in. 

Im not saying her entire story is untrue. But that is a little fishy. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

The issue I see is that it's very difficult to get to the real "truth of the matter" in these types of cases, and during the entire period of time that the team is in the process of attempting to do so, there is a giant distraction hanging over their heads, and a lot of damage being done to their reputation. 

Suppose this ends the way these things so often do -- with a settlement out of court and an NDA being signed. No real answer of what happened or didn't happen, no real closure. Meanwhile, weeks of national discussion, distraction, outrage, and damage to the Bills' image of "family and culture" has been done. But now their punter is "free and clear" legally and they get to keep him. Was it worth it? 

Azaira apparently already turned down that option.  Look at the texts exchanged between the two lawyers.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Didn't she write she went to Grossmont? Which there is both a high school and a college near by with that name. I'm guessing if she (or anyone going to that party) would say grossmont and imply the college. Most college students would just turn away high schoolers and high schoolers know that. Either way...lying, implying or misleading where one goes to school, their age etc is NO REASON to be raped.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Consider the counter to what you say. Who wants to sign with a team that dumps a player the second there are accusations made against that player? There are never easy choices in these situations. At the end of the day, the right answer is to follow plans put in place for these kind of things and NOT make off the cuff decisions based on emotion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ah yes, it's the victim who's to blame. Right, right.

Disgusting.

"Hi, my name is Bull Buchanan, welcome to my illiterate world"

Blame is tough. I'd blame him and his buddies for being stupid and screwing everything this side of Luxembourg. If that's your life, drinking & ****ing, there are a host of problems that may come your way.