Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Just now, BeastMaster said:

I'm no legal expert, so I also have no idea

I was simply pointing out that his lawyer claims their investigators have multiple witnesses that have said she was telling people she was 18 

Again what she is telling people does not matter

for another example would if I walked into a grocery store or bar to buy beer and said I was 21. if they sold it to me and I wasn’t 21 that store  or bar would get in a lot of trouble it doesn’t matter what I say. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I think most of the posters here have been pretty measured in their responses.  Outside of a post or two, I don't see much in the way of blaming the victim or anything.  There are some asking that we don't rush to judgement, but I think the majority of us fans are saying that at minimum he needs to be suspended/placed on the exempt list until the criminal investigation is complete and he is or isn't charged.  

As for Twitter, I don't know why anyone would spend any amount of time reading comments there.  It's a complete cesspool full of trolls and bots. 

Let the facts come out,  while were all Bills fans we also have a daughter/sister/niece that we would not want this to happen to. The Lawyer said the NFL knew about this before the draft.  I trust the Pegulas who also have daughters have their own investigators on this and if evidence comes forward that this happened and Matt was involved he will no longer be on the team. 

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Honestly, would having Haack on the roster over Araiza really affect our chances moving forward? We’d be one of the favourites either way.

As said above, they could have easily retained Haack over Araiza and came up with a reasonable excuse for doing so. The fact they didn’t, whilst knowing about the allegation and investigating it, over a player who shouldn’t have that much of an impact on a Super Bowl charge does indicate there are things which they (think) they know which we’re not privy too. And it’s not a case of “Protect the athlete, all women all liars”.

Different discussion but i thought Haack was the worst player on the roster - and yea probably cost the Bills points if not losses

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Yes, he actually does... Read the constitution sometime.  We all have the inalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. 

If being on a football team fulfills his pursuit of happiness, it is his inalienable right to play football. 

God you were just asking for it with this post are you doing it intentionally

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Do you think the Bills will create a spot now for a punter on the PS, and possibly have try outs for that??

I understand the idea of having a PS punter but how do you go about getting the reps without taking them away from the starters?

• Like (+1) 1

The federal government should make a blanket age of consent. I find it ridiculous that you could be having legal sex with a 17 year old in one state, go on a quick road trip one state over and now having sex with her is a crime and punishable with years of imprisonment. How does that make sense???

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

Fair enough, I guess I got really frustrated by the few posts here and here reading Twitter 

I agree.  Reading a handful of truly deplorable comments can stoke a level of anger in me that makes it seem as if there's more of a groundswell of support for this type of viewpoint (blame the victim, slut-shaming, etc.).  But, for the most part, I think this board is approaching this with empathy and a requisite detachment from our fanhood.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have a friend in HS who got pregnant after going home with a guy on Chippewa. She told him she was 21.  Her parents went to the police and they told her they would press charges if she wanted. 

She declined. 

I am not a lawyer. But I’m not sure that her saying she was 18 helps at all. 

I have 2 sons, ages 21 and 19.  I'd be pissed if a girl, who witnesses admit was claiming to be 18+ but was really underage, got them to have sex and then cried about actually being 17.

On pure talent, Araiza is the type that takes you from 90% to 95%.  

Field position is huge with a team as talented as the Bills. They’re almost going to get at least 1-2 first downs a drive and that means you’re gonna always have the opportunity to force opposing fields to drive the field against an elite defense 

Not worth the blowback.

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Actually I’m responding to circumstantial evidence:

Araiza admitted to having sex with her

Her injuries 

Even the defense lawyer saying “wasn’t in that room” which means he believes she was raped

That part where he says "I don't remember anything that night" says he didn't admit to anything.  And if they have no DNA, they have no case.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

Different discussion but i thought Haack was the worst player on the roster - and yea probably cost the Bills points if not losses

But they could have even gone as far as dropped Araiza and then picked up someone from waivers to replace Haack. When the allegation came out people would realise why.

42 minutes ago, StHustle said:

According to his attorney, the accuser admitted to coming in already drunk and agreed to consensual sex. 

I say we all sit back and wait for FACTS to come out before rushing to judgement.

this attorney says Araiza didn't force her-doesn't matter

says she claimed to be 18-doesn't matter

says it was consensual-not possible, a 17 year old minor cannot legally consent to sex

this attorney is spouting nonsense defenses

I don't know if araiza had sex with this person, but if it can be proven that he did, he's guilty of either felony statutory rape, or misdemeanor statutory rape, depending on the DA's choice of charge

His only hope is that the investigators found none of his DNA in her at the time of the alleged incident, or that if they did, he can buy her off, and in so doing, purchase her non-cooperation with the DA. In that case, it's possible the DA drops the case.

Actually I’m responding to circumstantial evidence:

Araiza admitted to having sex with her

Her injuries 

Even the defense lawyer saying “wasn’t in that room” which means he believes she was raped 

No it doesn't

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

The federal government should make a blanket age of consent. I find it ridiculous that you could be having legal sex with a 17 year old in one state, go on a quick road trip one state over and now having sex with her is a crime and punishable with years of imprisonment. How does that make sense???

The constitution.  States get to make their own laws regarding most criminal offenses. It’s a power the federal govt can’t take away, much as they try.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t claim to know what happened but I feel safe in saying both the woman and Araiza have poor judgement in the field of lawyer hiring.  These two seem like a well matched pair of morons.

The alleged victim has done well in presenting her side of the case. It feels like her lawyer is now ruin8ng it for her as the texts do not paint the defence in a good light.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

didn't find his DNA.

I agree. Police then tried to get evidence by phone. This one may be tough to prove.

Not saying anything about this case. …it is really odd—> every person has phone audio recorder, security vids, snap face…that anything happens anywhere without a digital footprint? I can turn my iPhone’s default voice recorder in my pocket and record sound for hours.