Ken Dorsey the new Ted Marchibroda?

AuntieEm

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

There was other dead weight on that Bills coaching staff. Chuck Dickerson, comes to mind..

The only good thing about The Coach was his constant calling out of Gregg Williams.   "Oh, but Grrrrrrrrrrreegg said the player had to..." 🤣

Also, what is it with Bills fans that everything today has to be some sort of 1:1 with everything in the past?  Let's let today, be today - especially since in Football evolution the 90's style game took place about 178 years ago... :beer:

34 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Levy is overrated and should not be in the HOF.  

That said, the defense simply wasn't good enough.  The NFC was simply a better conference.  No AFC team could compete with the size and speed of the best NFC teams.  Bills were built to beat Marino and Elway.  Nn retrospect they had no chance going up against the o-lines of the NFC East.

Wade had a true NT in Pat Williams and was a genius running the 3-4.  

If we win just 1 of the 4 SBs, do you change your mind?

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

I basically stopped reading here. 

Why copy the greatest QB (and maybe offense) of all time when they could just copy the guy that helped lose them 2 SB's (left in 91) and exited the league 25 years ago (an entire generation has passed

Cleary Marchibroda was highly influential in the Brady/McDaniels offense. But what a weird statement to make. 

fans have to get over the legacy of what happened three decades ago and give up the "no huddle" concept belongs in Buffalo, it is idiocy.  Our offense is dynamic right now, we dont have to resort to schemes such as a no huddle.

The last time the Bills actually tried this I believe was with Turk Shonert/ A Van Pelt as our OC and Trent Edwards to run it.  Tent was lauded by Bill Walsh and went to Standford therefore he had to be "smart enough" to run it.  Other issue was our OL Line was not suited for the fast paced, we had just signed huge and expensive free agents including Langston Walker who we had to let go because he was too big and immobile for it.  Overall, it was a disaster.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure what this thread is about. The current version of the Bills is virtually scoring at will WITHOUT a no huddle strategy. They just played a game in which they scored a touchdown on every single possession for heaven’s sake. Why would scoring faster be better than that? 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure what this thread is about. The current version of the Bills is virtually scoring at will WITHOUT a no huddle strategy. They just played a game in which they scored a touchdown on every single possession for heaven’s sake. Why would scoring faster be better than that? 

If we don't average triple digit scores this year, the season is a failure! 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

Ken Dorsey said, answering a question in a PC the other day that he is, (paraphrasing here) more than happy to entertain all play calling concepts from what’s current, to all the way back to high school, borrowing plays from everyone, think about that, nothing is off the table for him if it is truly viable, this goes hand in hand this concept, he wants  “ everyone to be a threat to score points”  on this offense…,  we are going to see, a more lively mix of play calling than we saw with Dabs in the booth, jmo. Buckle up folks, this is going to be a no mercy year from this offense.

GO Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Scoring at will became boring, so we are looking for a way to change things up and make it less predictable, I think?   🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

fans have to get over the legacy of what happened three decades ago and give up the "no huddle" concept belongs in Buffalo, it is idiocy.  Our offense is dynamic right now, we dont have to resort to schemes such as a no huddle.

The last time the Bills actually tried this I believe was with Turk Shonert/ A Van Pelt as our OC and Trent Edwards to run it.  Tent was lauded by Bill Walsh and went to Standford therefore he had to be "smart enough" to run it.  Other issue was our OL Line was not suited for the fast paced, we had just signed huge and expensive free agents including Langston Walker who we had to let go because he was too big and immobile for it.  Overall, it was a disaster.

We hear so much about the Bill Walsh "coaching tree". Fun fact, he was hired by Marv Levy at Cal. So really it is the Marv Levy coaching Tree. 

I agree with you. It also feels like a lot of Bills fans are circling the wagons around Bill Belichick being a bad coach now that they are mediocre without Brady. The guy had his run of greatness. He owned us for 20 years. We are a really good football team at the moment. It feels so defeatist to punch down when things are going your way. I am on to bigger and better things at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Heitz said:

The only good thing about The Coach was his constant calling out of Gregg Williams.   "Oh, but Grrrrrrrrrrreegg said the player had to..." 🤣

Also, what is it with Bills fans that everything today has to be some sort of 1:1 with everything in the past?  Let's let today, be today - especially since in Football evolution the 90's style game took place about 178 years ago... :beer:

Had lunch with "The Coach" quite a few years ago. He was a really nice guy that didn't slam anyone while sitting at a private table with 5 other people. When he went on camera he did a 180. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Ken Dorsey said, answering a question in a PC the other day that he is, (paraphrasing here) more than happy to entertain all play calling concepts from what’s current, to all the way back to high school, borrowing plays from everyone, think about that, nothing is off the table for him if it is truly viable, this goes hand in hand this concept, he wants  “ everyone to be a threat to score points”  on this offense…,  we are going to see, a more lively mix of play calling than we saw with Dabs in the booth, jmo. Buckle up folks, this is going to be a no mercy year from this offense.

GO Bills!!!

Daboll didn't mindlessly install the Patriot version of the P-E offense.  He added twists he learned elsewhere.  I'm not sure how Dorsey borrowing plays from everyone is different than Daboll's borrowing from everyone.  And I'm not sure we'll see a "more lively mix of play calling."  And even if it is "more lively," I'm not sure it'll be better.  Dorsey has never been a play-caller before so anything we say is a mere guess.  

If the offensive is more productive this year, I think it will be more due to Kromer and the OL personnel changes than due to Dorsey.  Though I'm sure Dorsey will make some contributions.  

That's what I think.  What I hope is that you're 100% right and this offense breaks all kinds of records on its way to a Lombardi.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Daboll didn't mindlessly install the Patriot version of the P-E offense.  He added twists he learned elsewhere.  I'm not sure how Dorsey borrowing plays from everyone is different than Daboll's borrowing from everyone.  And I'm not sure we'll see a "more lively mix of play calling."  And even if it is "more lively," I'm not sure it'll be better.  Dorsey has never been a play-caller before so anything we say is a mere guess.  

If the offensive is more productive this year, I think it will be more due to Kromer and the OL personnel changes than due to Dorsey.  Though I'm sure Dorsey will make some contributions.  

That's what I think.  What I hope is that you're 100% right and this offense breaks all kinds of records on its way to a Lombardi.  

I would never refer to Dabol as a doing anything in a mindless manor, I’m saying Dorsey will be more creative and effective going forward, Kromer and what he brings is part and parcel of the “the offense”, as are all the coaches on the OCs staff,  all the pieces working seamlessly towards the end goal, imo the offense is going to run smoother this year as compared to that past three years, because of these really good minds working together, in a more effective manor, Dabol as good as he was here, (and he was good) had real problems creating options (a functional run game) outside of the pass game, and it did stall the offense several times over the last couple of seasons. Imo, it was McDermott leaning on Dabol that forced him into getting the run game going in the later portion of last season, it had a resoundingly positive effect on the offense as we all saw. The pieces to effect the run game were all present on the team last season, they just weren’t, shall we say, assembled correctly, i will grant you hind site is 20 / 20, as the saying goes, I do think we are for the most part thinking the same thoughts just expressing differently, 👍

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I actually imagine Josh Allen will go down as the last great human qb as the game shifts to lifelike robots ala west world take the place of costly humans who age and get injured.  Robot loses a limb they attach a new one.  

if salaries keep going up with current hyperinflation robots will be cheaper and will not sit out for contract demands or demand to be traded shortly after getting new contract.

Not entirely sure what the overall gist of the main post was but I gathered it was about the no huddle.

1) I’d absolutely love to see some version of the no huddle broken out at playoff time.  I think it’s unique to the Bills, causes a lot of difficulty for defenses not prepared, and this particular roster would do it justice.

2) I’m psyched about Dorsey, because while many viewed Daboll like some Jedi master, I though he had a lot of weaknesses to his play calling. My biggest pet peeve was our abysmal first down play calling.  I felt like under Daboll we only had downs 2-4 available because we got nothing done on first down most of the time.  Looking forward to new blood and I think it could be better overall for our Bills.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Levy is overrated and should not be in the HOF.  

That said, the defense simply wasn't good enough.  The NFC was simply a better conference.  No AFC team could compete with the size and speed of the best NFC teams.  Bills were built to beat Marino and Elway.  Nn retrospect they had no chance going up against the o-lines of the NFC East.

Wade had a true NT in Pat Williams and was a genius running the 3-4.  

Should've beaten the Giants!! 

My friend, I cannot spend 20 minutes reading through this. It’s better to say many things with few words than it is to say very little with many words.

In response to your thread though and in respects to Allen and Dorsey, I will say this. I hope that Allen reaches a point where he is like Brady and Manning and he calls all the plays and our offense goes through him. It may take some more development before that happens though, but I think he’s getting there.

4 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Ted Marchibroda does not = Ken Dorsey

We're going full-on psychopath!!

True. Teddy and Dorsey are two separate entities from different school of football. But they do have something in common;  both served as a Bills QB coach before being promoted to OC. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.