Dawkins contract restructured

Dablitzkrieg

I think Beane said they would actually be a bit over the cap to start the season (contrary to what the cap websites have been claiming), so this is to get under the cap and to get a little spending room for the season.

I do not expect them to sign anyone of note after this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I agree, I think Oliver is priority one to re-sign and it actually makes economical sense to Franchise Tag Knox next year. 

Yep.

#1 Oliver

#2 will likely be Davis after the year he is about to have

Tag Knox, pitch it as a 5th year option, and I think he will trust in the Bills enough to know a long term deal is coming. If they can work out a long term deal in the tag window, then even better.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

It is about what a team needs moving from Rule of 51 to full roster, including practice squad and minimum contingency.  The other option is to trim salary by releasing one or more vets with at least decent sized contracts. That’s not really an option for the Bills this season. 

SO what counts against the salary cap ?  I thought active roster only or IR, not PUP

Do practive squads count against the cap ?

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

SO what counts against the salary cap ?  I thought active roster only or IR, not PUP

It literally depends on what day you are asking, lol.

Ultimately, yes. They all count once the season starts. IR, Suspended, Practice Squad...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tag number is under $11M. Kelce, Kittle, etc all top out at $15M. What is surging?

IMO, use the tag as the equivalent of a 5th year option and see where the cap goes with the Amazon and Apple money coming in.

Goeddert is making $14 mill per.

Njoku $13.7 mill

Schultz $11 mill

Engram $9 mill

Henry and Jonnu about $13 mill each

Dissly $8 mill per

If Knox continues to emerge and say catches 60 for 880 yards and 9 TDs - what do his offers look like?

I'd say easily $14 mill per.  

Could probably lock him up at 9 or 10 right now.   

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Njoku $13.7 mill

Schultz $11 mill

Engram $9 mill

Dissly $8 mill per

If Knox continues to emerge and say catches 60 for 880 yards and 9 TDs - what do his offers look like?

I think Knox will be friendly, but not that friendly. My guess is, if we wanted something done NOW, it would be like 5/$60M, $25M guaranteed.

But if he has a big year in our Super Bowl run this season, I could see him trending towards $15M. That's where I'd tag him and see where the cap goes.

16 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

If they sign OBJ I can see Beane making it a 2 year deal backloaded with a larger signing bonus making it a small cap hit this season

Next year is already gonna be tough with Josh's big numbers kicking in, I doubt we kick too much can down the road (everyone does it a little.)

27 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Yes, practice squads count against the cap. Active roster, IR, PUP and dead money also count. Suspended players do not count for the games they are suspended for however.  In a nutshell: If money is paid to a player then it will count against the cap sooner or later, depending on structure. 

There are a few exceptions that have to do with small discounts on veteran players and bonuses and whether or not they are likely to be earned. But those are small numbers. 

Edited to add: Fines do not come off of the cap. So the Browns will NOT gain $5M in cap space from Watson’s fine. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Njoku $13.7 mill

Schultz $11 mill

Engram $9 mill

Dissly $8 mill per

Should we maybe see Knox get 600 yards in a season before we plan on him getting almost 900 lol

32 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Right now it is the top 51 salaries plus dead cap.  

On cutdown day to 53 - it becomes all active 53, PS, IR, PUP, and deadcap (old and new).  The only thing that does not count is Andre Smith as he moves to suspension, but you have to have the space for him set aside after week 6 to activate him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.