Dawkins contract restructured

Dablitzkrieg

39 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Ok but Cody's cap hit was under $1 million....

Great to have more cash on hand, just didn't think Cordy was the reason

Acording to 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

We have $10 million in cap space counting the top 51

It is about what a team needs moving from Rule of 51 to full roster, including practice squad and minimum contingency.  The other option is to trim salary by releasing one or more vets with at least decent sized contracts. That’s not really an option for the Bills this season. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean we're already under the cap, we've had to be for a while now.

Only reason to do that is to give him less money in later years in an extension.

They were under the cap for the top 51, but at cutdown to 53 that changes to all 53 players, IR, PUP, Practice Squad, and dead cap from bonuses to players you cut (minor amount, but always present).

It adds easily 4-5 million from the current cap and I think with Ike on PUP and some veterans they will PS - I think the Bills will need 7 million plus to be under the cap at cutdown.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree with @Warcodered.

Every year, Beane clears cap space right before the season and we all get excited for a trade acquisition or signing of some sort.

Instead, as he has mentioned many times, he just likes to have a cushion in case he needs to sign anyone due to injury, and for other boring (but necessary) continegencies.

I actually DO think there's a decent chance that OBJ could eventually sign in Buffalo, but I don't think that this cap maneuver has anything to do with it.

Exactly this. We barely had cap space to sign PS guys.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Need a veteran CB and move Tre White to PUP

I think it's very clear the bills are comfortable with what they have at CB and are ready to roll with the young guys. 

There will be growing pains but I'm looking forward to see how they do. 

People have been saying bring in a vet CB all off-season. It's not happening.

1 hour ago, Steel City Mafia said:

OBJ incoming 

don’t get my hopes up!

I’m beginning to think it OBJ is not signed by the season he likely goes to Rams because he knows their offense.  that said, he went to Rams mid season and picked it up quickly. 

Just now, Big Blitz said:

I think it's for the Poyer extension and possibly Knox (cost of TEs surged - I'd get this done soon).  

Edmonds is a gunner after this season.  

Tag number is under $11M. Kelce, Kittle, etc all top out at $15M. What is surging?

IMO, use the tag as the equivalent of a 5th year option and see where the cap goes with the Amazon and Apple money coming in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tag number is under $11M. Kelce, Kittle, etc all top out at $15M. What is surging?

IMO, use the tag as the equivalent of a 5th year option and see where the cap goes with the Amazon and Apple money coming in.

I agree, I think Oliver is priority one to re-sign and it actually makes economical sense to Franchise Tag Knox next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I agree, I think Oliver is priority one to re-sign and it actually makes economical sense to Franchise Tag Knox next year. 

When was the last time the Bills used the franchise tag?  I can't even remember. Was it Jason Peters before we traded him? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.