Dawkins contract restructured

Dablitzkrieg

• Dablitzkrieg changed the title to Dawkins contract restructured

I agree with @Warcodered.

Every year, Beane clears cap space right before the season and we all get excited for a trade acquisition or signing of some sort.

Instead, as he has mentioned many times, he just likes to have a cushion in case he needs to sign anyone due to injury, and for other boring (but necessary) continegencies.

I actually DO think there's a decent chance that OBJ could eventually sign in Buffalo, but I don't think that this cap maneuver has anything to do with it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I see this as just getting the team under cap and having some emergency money available.

I mean we're already under the cap, we've had to be for a while now.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think they give Poyer a pay raise this year to make him happy. 

Only reason to do that is to give him less money in later years in an extension.

Edited by Warcodered

15 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Making $$ room for an addition via trade?

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think Beane said he wanted more regular season cushion but who knows. 🤷‍♂️

I believe he stated they need a cushion when the salary cap flips shortly from top 51 to all 53 + PUP, IR, Practice Squad, and dead cap additions from the cuts.  

Plus as @Warcodered states - he wants a cushion for the regular season because you may need to have additional IRs or other roster moves (maybe an OBJ type) that you need to add.

Because it was Dawkins which was only 5.6 million - that screams to me - nothing is incoming this is just to get the roster in order and ready with a small buffer.  If it had been a bigger restructuring then I could see a move coming, but not really from Dawkins.

• Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.