The importance of a true number one WR

Marlton Bills

Let me preface this by saying I love Stefon Diggs.  This is not an advocation to move on from him.  But my question stems from the fact that 2 other teams (GB and KC) with an Ellie QB have moved on from there true #1 WR’s.  If this season plays out well for them will this be a trend?  

Edited by Marlton Bills

• Marlton Bills changed the title to The importance of a true number one WR
2 minutes ago, Marlton Bills said:

Let me preface this by saying I love Stefon Diggs.  This is not an advocation to move on from him.  But my question stems from the fact that 2 other teams (GB and KC) with an Ellie QB have moved on from there true #1 WR’s.  If this season plays out well for them will this be a trend?  

Vet #1 WR  do cost a lot, so it may be a trend if teams feel its the QB making the WR... 

Without Diggs, Davis doesn’t see the success he has experienced so far. A true #1, at a reasonable price, makes everyone else better, not to mention what he personally accomplishes. Diggs gets attention that can even make the run game better. Great players will always be in demand. You just need to get the contract right. 

I think as more talented WR’s arrive in the league the prices will probably become more reasonable. Supply and demand. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 5

I think it could be.  Diggs to Buffalo and the subsequent success of Justin Jefferson were sort of the start of this trend.  As college and high school ball have put more and more emphasis on the passing game, you're seeing a flood of really polished receivers each year in the draft.  Look no further than our own Khalil Shakir.  So teams are much more willing to swap an AJ Brown for a Treylon Burks and then allocating that money elsewhere.

• Agree 1

It's interesting, because WR has traditionally been one of those positions that takes several years to become really good at. So it's valuable to have a strong vet #1 WR who knows what he's doing, which also helps the younger guys.

I don't know what's happened in the last few years, but it seems like there are more and more rookie/young WRs that are really good right out of the gate, like Justin Jefferson. Perhaps we're just seeing more talented and polished WRs coming out of college that has shifted that traditional thinking.

Not specifically answering this topic, I do think that the Bills have been very smart with how they devote their resources toward WR's.  With receivers coming out of college with a much more refined set of skills and being pro-ready, the difference between a 1st round WR and a 4th-5th round WR isn't as distinct as it used to be.  

So in past years where we used to blow a lot of draft capital on guys like Sammy Watkins, Lee Evans, and James Hardy, we're now drafting more for value with the recent drafts of Davis & Shakir in later rounds.  Let the other teams drive up the costs and fight each other for getting guys early at what's becoming the 2nd most premium position.  I'd rather have Davis & Shakir, and early round picks spent on other positions.

• Like (+1) 1

Do the Rams make the Super Bowl without Kooper Cupp? Probably not.

Do the Bengals make the Super Bowl without Ja’Marr Chase? Probably not.

The two other teams you mention, Packers and KC have had huge success with legit #1 WRs to throw to and BOTH were traded in the off-season for a first rounder AND a second rounder AND more. That shows you how valuable they are.

The other case study you can look at is the Patriots prior to Randy Moss coming to town. Same QB and same lineup, but when Moss joined it took them from a good offense to an unstoppable offense.

Having a true #1 elite WR matters.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Marlton Bills said:

This is an interesting thought experiment and I am interested in how it plays out, but I have my doubts.

It's not like they moved on from their studs and the studs signed mid-level deals.  People paid a king's ransom for them.  The KC-Miami deal especially.  KC not only saved on their cap (which can be used elsewhere), they got serious draft capital.  For Sabres fans - it was one of the reasons why the trade for O'Reilly was bad (IMO).  Not only did we give up a lot of assets for him, but then we immediately paid him a contract that would hurt our cap situation later.

Hill was never Mahomes' #1 receiver, it's always been Kelce. But I do expect his numbers to take a hit without a 7yd crosser turning into a 70 yd TD every other game.

Rodgers is an amazing QB, but he's in for a major statistical decline without Adams.

Both Mahomes & Rodgers would rather still have those guys.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Marlton Bills said:

Hill was KC's #1 WR, but he's not their #1 pass catcher. They did not move on from Kelce. 

Let's see what happens in GB. Rodgers is already complaining that his WRs suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

As has been said I'd say Green Bay shuffled the decked and moved on more than KC who still has Kelce and a bunch of weapons. I've had this argument a few times here this offseason but I think we're going to be surprised by how awful Green Bay is this year. I know they still have some stars on defense and in the trenches but most of them were hurt last year on top of their awful wide receiver group. I bet we're going to see a full melt-down from Rodgers this season, the likes of which we've never seen before.

So to answer your question, it's too early to tell. I personally can't see any advantage to shedding your #1 to go with a bunch of unproven scrubs, but we'll certainly find out by watching GB.

I've always thought the idea of a #1 is a bit overblown.  The cumulative talent of your 2 or 3 starters is more important.  For example, for a while Kelly was throwing to two HOFers.  How do you defend that? 

In the current O, if given the choice, I'd rather have 3 above-average WRs than one dominant wideout and two JAGs.  

But I wouldn't move on from Diggs.  I'd try to find someone nearly as good affordably in the draft.  And who knows?  Gabe may be that guy.

Rodgers and Mahomes became too “locked in” to their number ones.  

They are better quarterbacks than to have let that happen and their organizations recognized that their offensives were not optimized by the quarterback locking on to the number one. 

Josh does not have the weakness of locking on to his number one. He’s led many fading receivers on their last NFL legs - Brown, Beasley, Sanders - to outstanding statistical seasons by always spreading the ball around to the weakest coverage and not locking in to his number one. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marlton Bills said:

The other half of this equation is how much better does Tyreek Hill make Miami, or Davante Adams make LV? Both those players are seeing a significant downgrade in who is passing them the ball. Sort of a chicken, or the egg question, I suppose. But, if Hill, and/or Adams underperform this season, it could well have a ripple effect in top WR salaries.

1 hour ago, Marlton Bills said:

I think the Packers are going to struggle, and is an indication of poor cap/team roster management. 

Aaron Rodgers takes his $50M a year, Green Bay had few other offensive superstars to pay, and they couldn't get something done with Davante Adams? 

I think the Packers get credit for being a smart organization, but outside of Aaron Rodgers, I don't like how they draft, always defensive top heavy, they do nothing in Free Agency. What are they good at besides Aaron Rodgers?

The Chiefs kept 2/3 of the trio intact, and did their best to replace Hill with Schuster, Scandling and Moore, but they're more beatable now. And at some point Kelce is going to start showing his age. He's 33 now. Also, Schuster has not been the same since his concussion against Cleveland. 

I think a #1 WR is important, and also important is the constant pouring of resources into weapons is necessary. It's why the Shakir pick had to happen.  

23 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Only the elite of elite QBS are able to make due with average WRS. In any given season there are only a 2-3 of those guys. 

I think this correct. 

Brady in the 2006 AFC Championship Game with Jabaar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell as his Top 2 WRs. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, 947 said:

Hill was never Mahomes' #1 receiver, it's always been Kelce. But I do expect his numbers to take a hit without a 7yd crosser turning into a 70 yd TD every other game.

Rodgers is an amazing QB, but he's in for a major statistical decline without Adams.

Both Mahomes & Rodgers would rather still have those guys.

I am one of the people not sold on Davante Adams as the best receiver in football. Rodgers's number will decline without him because their receiving corps is young and inexperienced. But his numbers will decline without Arod. 

• Agree 2

I remember in Josh's 1st 2 seasons people were getting on his case because of his completion % and I'd watch other teams with #1 WRs making plays and thought that if the WR I just watched make the QB look good was on the Bills, nobody would be criticizing Josh.  

A #1 WR makes things a lot more comfortable for the QB. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.