Niagara Falls questions

Southern_Bills

8 minutes ago, 716er said:

Canadian side is overrated. 

I agree, IF you aren't the real touristy type.  If you are that type, then NF Ontario is far better. 

Since I grew up in NF (and was a tour guide) lived in Boston, SF, LA, NYC and now St Augustine, I've almost always lived in touristy spots. But when I travel, I'm the anti-tourist, for the most part.  I look for places the locals go. I like to get a feel for what it's like to live in an area.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Dean said:

I agree, IF you aren't the real touristy type.  If you are that type, then NF Ontario is far better. 

Since I grew up in NF (and was a tour guide) lived in Boston, SF, LA, NYC and now St Augustine, I've almost always lived in touristy spots. But when I travel, I'm the anti-tourist, for the most part.  I look for places the locals go. I like to get a feel for what it's like to live in an area.

Indeed. If you want to go to a Wax Museum and check out the Hard Rock Cafe, NF Canada is the place to be. 

28 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Probably an accurate statement for myself as well. Living at the beaches it's touristy everywhere, and tourist areas almost mimick each other across the country.

16 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Probably an accurate statement for myself as well. Living at the beaches it's touristy everywhere, and tourist areas almost mimick each other across the country.

Fudge is the Cornerstone!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-does-every-tourist-attraction-sell-fudge-180963152/

"...Why fudge? In the normal course of things, fudge is… just another confection. It’s not as ubiquitous as, say, a chocolate bar. And yet, writes Robert Reid for National Geographic, “at least in America, wherever you roam, you can only go to one of two kinds of destinations: those with fudge, and those without.” Fudge is the best indicator of whether or not something is actually a tourist attraction, he writes. ..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

I can vouch for this!  

We lived in touristy areas for 30 years (Hilton Head, SC and Sarasota, FL). I tend to like touristy areas, since it’s a place people save up all year long to visit. Because it’s NICE. And they are generally full of great restaurants.  If it rains on your week I feel sorry for you stuck in a small condo or hotel but kids……..but I’ll be there the next week!   :)

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Violas subs are amazing, como  for some Italian food on pine. If you want to walk around go down to Lewiston. 

Como still open?  I had heard it was closing.  I had my first bartending job there as soon as I turned 18.  

IMO while a decent overall restaurant (and a better than OK catering restaurant) their Italian-American basics are very substandard. Their basic sauce is horrible and they may make the worst lasagna I've ever tasted. But they do make some good stuff too.  Again IMO, Fortuna's is far superior to the Como.   Keep in mind, I haven't eaten at the Como in a few years.

Another popular local Italian Restaurant is Michael's (right next door to La Hacienda) on Pine Ave.  Again, not one I love, but very popular. My mother, father and sister all loved it. 

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Como still open?  I had heard it was closing.  I had my first bartending job there as soon as I turned 18.  

IMO while a decent overall restaurant (and a better than OK catering restaurant) their Italian-American basics are very substandard. Their basic sauce is horrible and they may make the worst lasagna I've ever tasted. But they do make some good stuff too.  Again IMO, Fortuna's is far superior to the Como.   Keep in mind, I haven't eaten at the Como in a few years.

Another popular local Italian Restaurant is Michael's (right next door to La Hacienda) on Pine Ave.  Again, not one I love, but very popular. My mother, father and sister all loved it. 

Sad if they let it go. Last time I had it was catering for a funeral maybe 5-6 years ago. I’ll check Michael’s out next time I’m in town. 

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Sad if they let it go. Last time I had it was catering for a funeral maybe 5-6 years ago. I’ll check Michael’s out next time I’m in town. 

Looks like it was taken off the market and is still open:  https://www.wgrz.com/article/money/business/como-restaurant-in-niagara-falls-no-longer-up-for-auction-antonacci-and-colucci-families/71-764b02b8-00ce-48d9-99f3-6243f7948cec

It's very odd. A family owned restaurant with a built-in Italian deli takeout shop connected. Yet, during the pandemic lockdown I was told they close everything. Then (again, this is hearsay) they took the Gov't money, but let all the employees go and shut down. A real bad look, IMO.  Especially when they were completely setup to do takeout. On an unrelated note, Fortuna's (with no special takeout facility) managed to stay open for takeout and thrived during that period. Just seems odd to me.

It was starting to look like the family didn't have it in them to continue running the place. Running a restaurant is WORK, and requires a lot of commitment. Many children of successful restaurant families don't seem to have what it takes to continue to do what is necessary to have a good, successful establishment.

I'm very happy to hear it is still open (but only 4 days a week and no longer for lunch). The last thing Niagara Falls needs is more businesses closing.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

I agree, Como is good, but nothing special. The best Italian is, and has always been Fortunas.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:53 PM, The Dean said:

Unfortunately, Niagara Falls NY (my hometown for many years) is a real disaster. And as many have already said, you would probably be better off staying in Lewiston or even perhaps in NF Ontario.

With that said, Fortuna's restaurant is really good, and owned by a good friend of mine. Tell Joe Fortuna "The Dean" sent you.  There are also some pretty decent bars for wings and stuff. Mister B's is one as is Judi's Lounge.  If you like good pizza, try La Hacienda on Pine Ave (not associate in any way with the La Hacienda in Buffalo).

And Viola's makes one of the great steak and cheese subs in America, IMO.  The one on Elmwood is probably the best, but in a bad neighborhood and closes very early. The one on Military road is fine though.

Just curious….if I go to Niagara Falls and visit restaurants, etc., and tell everyone at those places that “The Dean” sent me, what sort of reaction would I get in most places? Welcoming? Violence? Laughter?

Edited by Beast

On 8/27/2022 at 9:56 PM, damj said:

I agree, Como is good, but nothing special. The best Italian is, and has always been Fortunas.

The battle of Italian restaurants  - the Como vs. Fortuna's (AKA - The Deluxe). Como always had more hype (Frank Sinatra ate there afterall)  but you can't beat the food at The Deluxe - the veal is to die for.

12 hours ago, Beast said:

Just curious….if I go to Niagara Falls and visit restaurants, etc., and tell everyone at those places that “The Dean” sent me, what sort of reaction would I get in most places? Welcoming? Violence? Laughter?

🤣

To tel  you the truth, it's been so many years since I moved away, I'm not sure anyone would have any idea WTF you're talking about. 

But I'm pretty sure the owner of Fortuna's, Joe Fortuna, will understand.  We went to hiigh school together and catch up every year or two. But if you mention my name behave.  Leave a good tip

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/25/2022 at 1:24 AM, The Dean said:

Just FYI, while a very nice restaurant, you don't have to dress up for Fortuna's or just about any restaurant in Niagara Falls.

While you don't necessarily NEED a passport to enter Canada (I might be wrong about that if things have changed in the past two years or so) it tends to make it easier. You will need some other proof of identity/residence, If you are thinking about crossing the border (which I recommend) do a Google search for what ID is acceptable.  You DO need to complete ArriveCan within 72 hours of entry to Canada. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Grew up in Lewiston.  Artpark used to be amazing, not sure what kind of shows they're booking these days.

Old Fort Niagara in Youngstown is full of amazing history.  Tubing the Niagara from Lewiston to Youngstown dragging a six pack used to be a great thing.  Don't see why it wouldn't be now. Just make sure you get out before the Coast Guard Station at the lake.  I've heard the fishing in the lower Niagara is now excellent!  Fortuna's used to be Fortuna's deluxe, right?  Great place as was Como but last time there was disappointed.  Viola's has the best steak and cheese in the world.  Youngstown is cool as is Niagara on the Lake on the Canadian side.  Fort Niagara State park can be beautiful on a good day and can see Toronto skyline 26 miles away.  Oh, and Dicamillo's bakery in either Lewiston or the Falls is amazing.  and if you're really adventurous you can try rapelling the gorge - but I wouldn't recommend it - sandstone.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

As several have stated, the differences between the 2 Niagara Falls are simply staggering. The American one has a good downtown hunk that resembles Kiyv today, while the Ontario side is quite pretty and quirky. One wonders when you cross into N.Y.- where are all the people? It’s deserted, unlike N.F. Ontario, which is booming. Better hotels, finer and more restaurants and tourist attractions, plus the road Winston Churchill called one of “the most beautiful drives in the world”- the Niagara Falls Parkway… from Niagara on the Lake to Buffalo.

Speaking of NOTL, it is simply beautiful (think Williamsburg, VA or Saratoga, N.Y.) and you can pull into numerous vineyards to sample and buy. 

But, bring $… lots! 😂 Beauty doesn’t come cheap. 

To just go to the Falls the American side is just fine, but one thing I noticed when we last went there is that I got warnings on my phone about extra data usage/fee's as maybe it was just close enough to Canada, idk. Either side, it is an amazing experience for sure. Plus the hassle of going over the border... not worth the bs if you just want to see and feel it.

i don't think cave of the winds was mentioned.  Going under the Falls from the American side is well worth it.  If you golf. the Ontario Parks course is public and was pristine.  DO Not stay in the cabins on the river in Lewiston - beat up and overpriced.  The big hotel across the street is worth the difference.  Finally, last time there, the restaurant/bar on the river in Lewiston was rocking with a pretty good band but I was kinda euphoric seeing old friends.

15 minutes ago, T&C said:

To just go to the Falls the American side is just fine, but one thing I noticed when we last went there is that I got warnings on my phone about extra data usage/fee's as maybe it was just close enough to Canada, idk. Either side, it is an amazing experience for sure. Plus the hassle of going over the border... not worth the bs if you just want to see and feel it.

It never used to be a hassle.  My sister's MiL they knew by first name going across into Ft.Erie to play "Big Bingo." 😏 

The good ole days. There's like 10+ million people living in the Golden Horseshoe and it's like traveling into another world. Okay, country 😉.  That's a city like Buffalo's biggest market and being another country a total drag to utilize. Sad.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.