Niagara Falls questions

Southern_Bills

3 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Oddly enough I'm an electrical engineer so this is the one thing I already told my wife I would be dragging her to while in the area lol.

They redid the Power Vista visitors center a few years ago. Tons of interactive  exhibits. The one I like best is the pictures of Tesla and Edison. Actually  video screen.s Stand in front of Edison and he tells you about DC. Stand in front of Tesla and he talks about AC.  It is free. Just check the hours. We went there when it opened back in late 60s. Only things that remain from then are  The Thomas Hart Benson Mural of Father Hennipen and  the white marble dedication wall.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, The Dean said:

Unfortunately, Niagara Falls NY (my hometown for many years) is a real disaster. And as many have already said, you would probably be better off staying in Lewiston or even perhaps in NF Ontario.

With that said, Fortuna's restaurant is really good, and owned by a good friend of mine. Tell Joe Fortuna "The Dean" sent you.  There are also some pretty decent bars for wings and stuff. Mister B's is one as is Judi's Lounge.  If you like good pizza, try La Hacienda on Pine Ave (not associate in any way with the La Hacienda in Buffalo).

And Viola's makes one of the great steak and cheese subs in America, IMO.  The one on Elmwood is probably the best, but in a bad neighborhood and closes very early. The one on Military road is fine though.

have you been to La Hacienda since the ownership change?  I would concur that they have an excellent pie if they kept the original intact.

https://la-hacienda-ristorante-and-pizzeria.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Nobody's mentioned the Maid of the Mist. I'd recommend it.

We had a tight timeline due to a Friday wedding in Chicago before the opener last year and flying in Saturday. That was the top priority for me with the family making a rare WNY trip, first time for the DIL. I admit I’ve never done a lot of the other stuff mentioned (or not in FOREVER, at least), but Maid of the Mist seems like the quintessential  Falls activity to me. It’s not “something cool near the Falls”, it is THE FALLS! Prepare to get wet despite the poncho they give you. 

The videos we took shows up from time to time on my iPad feed, and I smile every time at how hard we were laughing on a day with 20-30 mph winds! You learn to trap the poncho between your knees, or it WILL fly up over your head!  😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

have you been to La Hacienda since the ownership change?  I would concur that they have an excellent pie if they kept the original intact.

https://la-hacienda-ristorante-and-pizzeria.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

I have not. I hope to in a couple weeks though. I've heard it hasn't changed. But I will say the person who told me that isn't the best judge of pizza, IMO.

2 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Dining in Lewiston offers many options. 

At the Falls , Maid of the Mist is a must.

Another touristy thing would be to visit Fort Niagara in Youngstown.

As a former tour guide (both sides of the border) The Maid of the Mist is one thing that is definately worth the money, IMO

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

The tour of the Robert Moses Power Plant is interesting if you like geeky things.

18 hours ago, The Dean said:

Indeed. I used to go all the time as a kid. It really is pretty cool. Was free. I wonder if it still is.

17 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Oddly enough I'm an electrical engineer so this is the one thing I already told my wife I would be dragging her to while in the area lol.

13 hours ago, Wacka said:

They redid the Power Vista visitors center a few years ago. Tons of interactive  exhibits. The one I like best is the pictures of Tesla and Edison. Actually  video screen.s Stand in front of Edison and he tells you about DC. Stand in front of Tesla and he talks about AC.  It is free. Just check the hours. We went there when it opened back in late 60s. Only things that remain from then are  The Thomas Hart Benson Mural of Father Hennipen and  the white marble dedication wall.

nerds.gif

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For what you need to enter Canada from the US:   Successfully entering Canada.

You  will need a valid passport to enter Canada by land but some others might be able to use an enhanced driver's license from Vermont, New York, Michigan, Minnesota, South Dakota, and Washington State.   All these states border Canada except South Dakota (is that a typo in the web site?   North Dakota neighbors Canada, South Dakota doesn't).    Land Travel to Canada

You will also need to put the ArriveCAN app on your phone and upload your documents more than 72 hours before your arrival date in Canada.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:26 AM, WhoTom said:

Nobody's mentioned the Maid of the Mist. I'd recommend it.

BEST ATTRACTION IN WNY (Bills games excluded)  ... and you can get the ride from both sides of the border.   In the distant pass when I was a teacher, I thought that being a Maid of the Mist captain (pilot?) would be the ideal summer gig!

I'd recommend either Lewiston or Niagara-on-the-Lake, depending upon which side of the border you're on.  If you like typical touristy things, that's Canada.  If you are more interested in getting closer to the water, then the American side might be your pick. The Cave of the Winds is awesome.  You can walk on the catwalks at the brink of the American Falls there.   You can take the steps down into the Devil's Hole downstream from the Falls and hike the Niagara Gorge.  Somebody already measured the Power Authority.  There's also Artpark in the Lewiston -- and some nice dining choices in the village.  Finally, there's Ft Niagara in Youngstown.

Edited by SoTier

58 minutes ago, SoTier said:

BEST ATTRACTION IN WNY (Bills games excluded)  ... and you can get the ride from both sides of the border.   In the distant pass when I was a teacher, I thought that being a Maid of the Mist captain (pilot?) would be the ideal summer gig!

I'd recommend either Lewiston or Niagara-on-the-Lake, depending upon which side of the border you're on.  If you like typical touristy things, that's Canada.  If you are more interested in getting closer to the water, then the American side might be your pick. The Cave of the Winds is awesome.  You can walk on the catwalks at the brink of the American Falls there.   You can take the steps down into the Devil's Hole downstream from the Falls and hike the Niagara Gorge.  Somebody already measured the Power Authority.  There's also Artpark in the Lewiston -- and some nice dining choices in the village.  Finally, there's Ft Niagara in Youngstown.

Minor point of clarification.  The Maid of the Mist used to run from both the US and Canada by the same company. But now the boat ride in Canada is called Hornblower and run by that company. They changed their boats first, to a more modern and larger design.

Starting last year (or the year before) The Maid of the Mist switched to all electric, and very large, boats.  I have yet to be on one of the newer vehicles. I hear good things. But I always thought the rather rickety nature of the older boats made the ride a lot more interesting. Maybe I'll have a chance to take a ride on the new ones in a couple weeks when I go back to WNY.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Minor point of clarification.  The Maid of the Mist used to run from both the US and Canada by the same company. But now the boat ride in Canada is called Hornblower and run by that company. They changed their boats first, to a more modern and larger design.

Starting last year (or the year before) The Maid of the Mist switched to all electric, and very large, boats.  I have yet to be on one of the newer vehicles. I hear good things. But I always thought the rather rickety nature of the older boats made the ride a lot more interesting. Maybe I'll have a chance to take a ride on the new ones in a couple weeks when I go back to WNY.

Correction to my correction. The Canadian boat is called Niagara City Cruises.  It is run by Hornblower:

https://www.cityexperiences.com/niagara-ca/city-cruises/niagara/voyage-to-the-falls-boat-tour/

On 8/24/2022 at 10:31 PM, 716er said:

After you visit the falls, spend time in Lewiston instead of Niagara Falls. 

Agreed. Many great restaurants Brickyard for BBQ / craft beer; Stone house to hang out for drinks; Silo for hot dogs; Griffon for gastropub, Hibbards for custard, Gallo for woodfired pizza, Cask & Cow for burgers.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:53 PM, The Dean said:

Unfortunately, Niagara Falls NY (my hometown for many years) is a real disaster. And as many have already said, you would probably be better off staying in Lewiston or even perhaps in NF Ontario.

With that said, Fortuna's restaurant is really good, and owned by a good friend of mine. Tell Joe Fortuna "The Dean" sent you.  There are also some pretty decent bars for wings and stuff. Mister B's is one as is Judi's Lounge.  If you like good pizza, try La Hacienda on Pine Ave (not associate in any way with the La Hacienda in Buffalo).

And Viola's makes one of the great steak and cheese subs in America, IMO.  The one on Elmwood is probably the best, but in a bad neighborhood and closes very early. The one on Military road is fine though.

Best places to stay are downtown. I'd recommend the Doubletree.

Judi's has very good wings and steak and cheese. My favorite steak and cheese is Mariposa's. The restaurant closed, but they've kept it alive as a food truck.

La Hacienda is under new ownership, but the pizza is still great as always and is the best in the city.

An underappreciated gem for a restaurant is Savor. It's a teaching kitchen/restaurant from local Niagara County Community College, run by students under professional supervision. 5 star quality food, at a fraction of the price. I dress casual when I go there.

Off the beaten path is F-Bites. Celebrity chef Bobby Anderson (from Hell's Kitchen) runs it to teach young kids the restaurant business. It's non-profit and very inexpensive. AMAZING southern cooking. It's not in the best neighborhood, but it's fine for lunch.

If you want an amazing burger experience, check out Rock Burger; they do these awesome stuffed burgers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

This.  Without ArriveCan you are not crossing over

It looks to be no big deal.   I downloaded it to my phone and set up my account.  I didn't load photos of my enhanced DL and vaccination card yet.

33 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It looks to be no big deal.   I downloaded it to my phone and set up my account.  I didn't load photos of my enhanced DL and vaccination card yet.

The only tricky part is "where you will quarantine" question. I just list the address of the place I'm going. It doesn't seem to let you do much else.

19 hours ago, 716er said:

Is Buzzys still open? That pizza kicked ass

Still open, and is as great as always.

I saw another post talking about local craft breweries. A bunch in Buffalo; but none in Niagara Falls. Brickyard in Lewiston is a brewery. Woodcock is good ... two locations, but a bit of drive. Their Wilson location is an old ice house; cool place to go. The best place for beer is Griffon (Niagara Falls & Lewiston); they have alot of taps.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:31 PM, 716er said:

Also do the Whirlpool Jet Boat if you can afford it.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:26 AM, WhoTom said:

Nobody's mentioned the Maid of the Mist. 

If you're older and past the thrill-seeking age, Maid of the Mist. Younger or want an adrenaline rush, Jet Boats for sure.

While the Canadian side of the Falls is wayyyy better than the run-down U.S. side, I would not bother with the hassle of crossing the border. There's plenty of things to do in WNY as advised in this thread.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.