Micah Hyde Interviews

stevewin

Jim Rome - quick interview

- Is there even greater urgency now than ever before

Definitely took this offseason to get my mind back, started training camp still very very excited - trying to get better each and every day.   I know this is TC where you're going against your guys so you kind of gotta try to take it easy but the urgency is definitely there and excited for week 1

- When you say get your mind back - from what

The mental grind of each of every week that you gotta have to play in this league - and to play well.  It's one thing to go out there and play and study, but to really have that mindset each and every week that you're going to go out there and play smart, you're going to play physical, and you're going to play fast.  The longer I've been in this league and the later I get in my career I think my mind has grown so that each and every week I'm able to flush the previous week and move on to the next and really dive into what that team is doing and by the end of the week I really know what that team is doing - and my mentality of just going out there for a fight - it's a war out there

- Howie Long elevator analogy - when young going up have physical but not mental, when older have mental but physical going down - do you feel you're at that perfect point

I'm very competitive, so I feel I'm at that point, mentally and physically.  Obviously I don't wake up in the morning and am able to bounce around like I'm 23 - but yeah I feel like I'm at that point

- Dawson Knox - Luke

Everyone was extremely sad to hear the news, just heartbreaking.  All we can do is rally around Dawson and just show him love.  We love Dawson around here, he's a big part of our team and the way he comes here each and every day and is just himself - we just show him love - very very sad

- Is this the best roster you've played on in your time in Buffalo

From top to bottom, from young guys to older guys, the experience, yeah I guess on paper you can definitely say that.  But I think you'd be a fool to think that automatically wins you a SB.  It's what I talked about before - that mindset - you've got to have it each and every week or you're going to get embarrassed on Sunday.  You can talk about it on paper all you want, but you've got to understand each and every day you've got to put in that work, whether it be practice or game

- Von impact to secondary

I love it.  I love it.  Pressure on the QB is a DBs best friend.  To see Von coming off the edge, working his moves, it's like poetry in motion.  Sometimes I get caught on the back end just watching him make moves on the tackles and get to the QB so quick - he's going to be a huge part of our team this year

- You were huge part of establishing culture in Buffalo.  How do you pass culture on to younger players

Coming here with Sean, and him changing the culture, and got to be on of the guys, with Po, and back then Kyle Williams, Lorenzo Alexander, Pat Dimarco, Steve Hauschka - those type of guys who came in with me and developed to change the culture.  When it comes to the young guys we just tell them when you get here just listen, see what we are doing and go from there.  Throughout these last few years we've developed a system - whether it's after practice - we do extra stuff, we hit the bag, we do ball drills - I think the young guys are developing that sense 'we gotta do more' - that's where this organization has gotten to - it's not just do the bare minimum, it's we want to do extra, because we know that's gonna help us out come game day

- Turkey burgers

Guys were up to double digits / day  - I prob got up to 10 one day - I mean you could have them for lunch, dinner, snack at the end of the day.  They were something else - you can't duplicate it in Buffalo

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 14

22 minutes ago, stevewin said:

- Turkey burgers

Guys were up to double digits / day  - I prob got up to 10 one day - I mean you could have them for lunch, dinner, snack at the end of the day.  They were something else - you can't duplicate it in Buffalo

10 burgers in a day.  Wow...  Yeah that's what I took from all of that write up 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Throughout these last few years we've developed a system - whether it's after practice - we do extra stuff, we hit the bag, we do ball drills - I think the young guys are developing that sense 'we gotta do more' - that's where this organization has gotten to - it's not just do the bare minimum, it's we want to do extra, because we know that's gonna help us out come game day

This is yet more proof that culture and work ethic matters.  There are always those that say things like:

- They're professional athletes, they all work hard - sure but some are more driven and work harder and they get better.  If this were not true, you would not have contract clauses on weight, study, etc. or stories about QBs who hadn't studied the playbook.

- I would rather have talent over culture - sure, but I would rather have talent AND good culture.  The way I phrase it is - good culture is a talent multiplier.

I love McD's philosophy of a leader in every room.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

This is yet more proof that culture and work ethic matters.  There are always those that say things like:

- They're professional athletes, they all work hard - sure but some are more driven and work harder and they get better.  If this were not true, you would not have contract clauses on weight, study, etc. or stories about QBs who hadn't studied the playbook.

- I would rather have talent over culture - sure, but I would rather have talent AND good culture.  The way I phrase it is - good culture is a talent multiplier.

I love McD's philosophy of a leader in every room.

Yeah, and I'm proud its the good kind of culture and not that cheating bag of d***s kinda culture that ran our division for 20 years...

• Agree 1

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show/8-24-2022-micah-hyde

Some highlights:

Still excited to play and the urgency is still there. 

Feels like his mental game and his physical game are evenly matched. 

Support for Dawson Knox upon his return, just rallying around him and showing him love.

From top to bottom, from experience to talent, this is the best Bills roster he's been on, on paper, but you need to show up week to week.

Watching Von Miller is like poetry in motion. The ball has to come out early from the QB which is a DB's best friend.

Passing along the current culture built by Micah, Jordan Poyer, Kyle Williams, Sean McDermott, and others along to the young guys. "Do more"

Turkey Burgers. Micah got to 10 burgers in one day, not the most on the team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show/8-24-2022-micah-hyde

Some highlights:

Still excited to play and the urgency is still there. 

Feels like his mental game and his physical game are evenly matched. 

Support for Dawson Knox upon his return, just rallying around him and showing him love.

From top to bottom, from experience to talent, this is the best Bills roster he's been on, on paper, but you need to show up week to week.

Watching Von Miller is like poetry in motion. The ball has to come out early from the QB which is a DB's best friend.

Passing along the current culture built by Micah, Jordan Poyer, Kyle Williams, Sean McDermott, and others along to the young guys. "Do more"

Turkey Burgers. Micah got to 10 burgers in one day, not the most on the team.

Did he say anything about Po's contract?

• Simon changed the title to Micah Hyde Interviews
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.